Words/phrases you hate to hear

I can't say any phrases or words really bother me, life's to short to care. But a few years back I was on a training course where the bloke training us kept on saying "Are you with me guys?" after almost every sentence, if we didn't respond, we'd get "Guys, are you with me?" After a day it was funny, one bloke started a tally chart on his notes. But after 5 continuous days , it really gets on your tits.

Reactions: BBR
Wedding photographers and the use of investment to describe their fees. WTF? It's a wedding, not a second home.

Yes but you can't see the big picture. Often used by Labourites when loosing in a discussion.:wideyed:

Yes but you can't see the big picture. Often used by Labourites when loosing in a discussion.:wideyed:
So what is a 'Labourite' exactly? Is it one of those made up words designed to be a means of creating division and hatred?... Until, that is the country needs people to die fighting wars created by ConservativeITES?

In passing and 'on subject' I hate the use of LOOSING when the user means LOSING. It can be a mere spelling error but, as it occurs on a regular basis, it starts to fall into the sphere of 'COMMON usage'

I hope you made it in time (y)

:D

I hate people that assume, need favours, plus when you need one in return, they are never available!

Nope - people have eventually learned the message that I don't do weddings. But then they ask if they could borrow my camera so that they can do the wedding, after all "it's easy, it's automatic."

When I refuse I usually get the response of "after all I've done for you." Which is usually nothing.

Nope - people have eventually learned the message that I don't do weddings. But then they ask if they could borrow my camera so that they can do the wedding, after all "it's easy, it's automatic."

When I refuse I usually get the response of "after all I've done for you." Which is usually nothing.

Turn it to M, f/32 and 1/2000th...

Another one that kills the conversation dead and is totally overused.
Yep it's way over used and degrades the true meaning of the word, till eventually we can't see the wood for the trees ( sorry trees)
tiveITES?
In passing and 'on subject' I hate the use of LOOSING when the user means LOSING.
I struggle with that one TBH, as it seems the wrong way around. But then I remind myself that you can't hang someone with a nose.

I know exactly what you mean.

When visiting someone and they say "did you find us ok?"
" :)
OK compared to what?

Ahh Cobra - When 'losing' it, sometimes letting it all go and 'loosing' off some choice words or phrases will make it all drift away.

Ahh Cobra - When 'losing' it, sometimes letting it all go and 'loosing' off some choice words or phrases will make it all drift away.
As Dobie Gray says
Oh, give me the beat boys and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

OK may be I did not spell it right. Come to Oldham try to discuss the problems of the town with the labourites and listen to the response "Ah but you don't see the whole picture" you may well then see the whole picture.

"Thinking outside the Box" ............................................................ What F-ing box???? :D

As a retired wedding snapper, my list would have to include

"On behalf of my wife and I ..." starting a sentence in the groom's speech when what he means is either "My wife and I ..." or "On behalf of my wife ..."

"Please charge your glasses ..." said by a best man who thinks that means raise your glasses

"Oh! You won't take a picture of me will you ..." squawked by a fat bridesmaid wearing pyjamas during bride prep

"Where's the flowergirl?" asked by the bride's mother just before the Couple + Bridal Party picture

"Can we just have one of ..." asked by the bride's mother right after the last group shot on the list

"Excuse me, could you just take a quick one of me with the wife and kids?"

"No. I'll set the couple up at the table after we've signed the register."

"Wouldn't that be a nicer background?"

"That looks expensive. Does it take good pictures?"

"I suppose it's a lot easier for you now it's all digital."

And that's just off the top of me 'ead ...

. But then I remind myself that you can't hang someone with a nose.

Surely most people who are hanged have noses? :p

The only phrase that bugs me is "There's nothing worse..." There usually is!

"Thinking outside the Box" ............................................................ What F-ing box???? :D
The one that contains the single brain and is passed along.

Hey, who has got the box today?
Brain-out-of-the-box.jpg

People who habitually use exclamation marks!

Sounds like a member of another forum I'm on. That's when he actually bothers to use punctuation - he once wrote a 327 word sentence and the only punctuation he used was misplaced apostrophes. When he's not using exclamation marks he will end sentences with question marks?

Another phrase that I hate is one used by a colleague "Any reasonable person will agree with me that...." and then she goes on to make the kind of statements only a complete idiot would agree with.

Any reasonable person will agree with me that...
I find, as you already mentioned, used by someone that knows they are onto a loser but tries to make others feel inadequate.
"Kings new clothes" statement.

( actually I quite like that saying, it covers a multitude of sins :D )

and your point is ?
Just cos you can't :p
NikonCanon.gif

OK may be I did not spell it right. Come to Oldham try to discuss the problems of the town with the labourites and listen to the response "Ah but you don't see the whole picture" you may well then see the whole picture.

Yes. Maybe you did :D
:exit:

"More than you could possibly imagine". My imagination can encompass an amount that would, apparently, surprise you.

"Hi how are you?" especially exclaimed by retail staff and despite a clear question they always look funny at me when I actually answer the question. There is a time and place for rhetorical questions, when you enter a shop isn't one of them. In fact if you don't really care how I am then why even enquire about me. Although there are exceptions to it, like that time in a singing fudgery in Jacksonville, FL, where I did respond and let's just say I stayed in Jacksonville a week longer than I planned to. That was a good summer in 1987 but normally I can't stand it.

Any corporate cr4p, ie.,

Grass Roots
Going Forward
Restructuring
Bottom Line...

Etc.

"End of!" as in:
"They should have done it properly in the first place. End of!"
Trying to make the point that their fact is right and final, and there is nothing more to say on the issue.

These last two seem like a UK thing. Not like those other things people have posted that appear to be from the USA.

Last edited:
"Aksed"
I'm hearing white people say this now, part of the gangster rap thing, "nah wha' ah mean?"

I say lot's of the above listed, so each to their own I say.

Any corporate cr4p, ie.,

Grass Roots
Going Forward
Restructuring
Bottom Line...

Etc.
You'd love it here. We're always maintaining momentum, leveraging our knowledge base, demonstrating our values, delivering cross functional synergy savings etc ad nauseaum.

"Hi how are you?" especially exclaimed by retail staff and despite a clear question they always look funny at me when I actually answer the question. There is a time and place for rhetorical questions, when you enter a shop isn't one of them. In fact if you don't really care how I am then why even enquire about me. Although there are exceptions to it, like that time in a singing fudgery in Jacksonville, FL, where I did respond and let's just say I stayed in Jacksonville a week longer than I planned to. That was a good summer in 1987 but normally I can't stand it.
When asked by a shop assistant "Hello and how are you today?" I just want to say "Look. I just want to buy this spanner, not start a relationship!"

Last edited:
And while we're at it "A thing" is starting to become ubiquitous.

PS I know it's been used here recently and I apologise in advance for any offence caused. :p
PPS And "No" Mr North American spellcheck, I will not spell "Apologise" with a "Zee"!
PPPs Did someone mention starting a sentence with "And"?

Back