'Work Experience'

markiemc13

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
As some of you may know I am currently participating in a national diploma of advanced photography at college.
It has come to the part of the year where I have to gain some work experience.
Now...I aim to be a sports photographer...So this ain't gonna be easy.
It only has to be one day with a professional, I have to present three of my best images from the day with a write up on each.
And the pro just needs to write a few comments on how I conduct myself in a professional situation.
I know some of you would rather swallow pins than work with me..:puke:
But can anybody please help for education purposes?
I'd happily contribute funds.
I mean one job wouldn't kill you....would it? ;)

Are there any local teams near you that would have their own photog?

If so maybe you could approach them.

As some of you may know I am currently participating in a national diploma of advanced photography at college.
It has come to the part of the year where I have to gain some work experience.
Now...I aim to be a sports photographer...So this ain't gonna be easy.
It only has to be one day with a professional, I have to present three of my best images from the day with a write up on each.
And the pro just needs to write a few comments on how I conduct myself in a professional situation.
I know some of you would rather swallow pins than work with me..:puke:
But can anybody please help for education purposes?
I'd happily contribute funds.
I mean one job wouldn't kill you....would it? ;)

I think you burnt that bridge a long long time ago, i honestly cannot see anyone in the area you are interested in sticking their neck out for you especially with the chances you have already had and wasted!

I think Andy might be right here. Sorry Mark, but you may have a good degree of difficulty with this one. I would assume that you need a fairly big agency here. Unfortunately, given your fairly recent history you may suffer. Pick an agency you haven't tried yet, and approach them. Starting fresh may be your only option now.

Otherwise, you're going to need to find another professional tog, probably in a different speciality.

This may have to be the wake-up that you need for this. Had you not have behaved in the way you have with AMA, Action Images or Getty Images...you could quite easily have approached them for work experience.

Instead, you tried to run before you could walk...which is what I said at least a dozen times that you were doing. Now you've found yourself in this situation and you will hopefully realise that this is the consequence.

I'm very sorry to sound very harsh and I fully expect to get a rap on the knuckles from the mods for this but you have kind of made your bed.

You want my advice...be very very humble whenever you approach an agency or pro and explain what you are doing. Be humble when/if you get a work-experience placement. Listen to what they have to offer and learn from them.

You DO NOT know very much and you need to learn from someone to get any better. If you want to do this, then you will need to beg a little to get a placement, and if you do then be the best suck-up ever.

I think you burnt that bridge a long long time ago, i honestly cannot see anyone in the area you are interested in sticking their neck out for you especially with the chances you have already had and wasted!

And don't I know it?! Im living to regret the past Andy..It's not like i've not apologised and tried to be civil a few hundred million times...:puke:
But as always..Your right! :LOL:

I think Andy might be right here. Sorry Mark, but you may have a good degree of difficulty with this one. I would assume that you need a fairly big agency here. Unfortunately, given your fairly recent history you may suffer. Pick an agency you haven't tried yet, and approach them. Starting fresh may be your only option now.

Otherwise, you're going to need to find another professional tog, probably in a different speciality.

This may have to be the wake-up that you need for this. Had you not have behaved in the way you have with AMA, Action Images or Getty Images...you could quite easily have approached them for work experience.

Instead, you tried to run before you could walk...which is what I said at least a dozen times that you were doing. Now you've found yourself in this situation and you will hopefully realise that this is the consequence.

I'm very sorry to sound very harsh and I fully expect to get a rap on the knuckles from the mods for this but you have kind of made your bed.

You want my advice...be very very humble whenever you approach an agency or pro and explain what you are doing. Be humble when/if you get a work-experience placement. Listen to what they have to offer and learn from them.

You DO NOT know very much and you need to learn from someone to get any better. If you want to do this, then you will need to beg a little to get a placement, and if you do then be the best suck-up ever.

As always your also right James..
Im trying a lot harder to be more mature in my professional responses and trying to communicate clearer..As far as i know im not on Getty's and AI's most wanted list yet..
Come on guys cut me some slack for once (as much as I don't deserve it)
Without this experience it's an instant fail. :bang:

Peter Jones from Dragon's Den lost his business and over a £1m but he came back.

You will be a much stronger person if you learn from whatever went on and come back from it.

Don't know what you did or said but surely it couldn't have been that bad?

As work experience is unpaid it shouldn't be THAT difficult to get a placement? With a recession most would love a free employee for a day or two? even if its just to carry gear around?

Last edited:
Back