Work Uniform...

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning :eek:)

Just looking for some guidance/ advise... A bit of background for you first, I work at a solicitors firm with aprox 2000 staff in an IT service desk...

Recently we have been provided with polo shirts which initially were optional for when there was dirty work to be done, now we have a new manager who has decided that it is compulsary, opposed to wearing shirt and tie, however the 'team leader' doesn't have to wear his and can continue with shirt & tie, we are also the only part of the business that have to wear the forced uniform, even our cleaners and facilities dept who do the bulk of building repairs don't have a uniform...

I'm sure you can understand my concerns, I have a wardrobe full of smart shirts, suits and now barred from wearing them... I just want to see what people think I can do about it?

Cheers Chris :eek:)

its more the fact that there are 6 of us told to wear a uniform and the rest of the business can wear 'formal business wear' as per the staff handbook... don't get me wrong im not wanting to rock the boat...

i just find it strange that the 6 of us on the service desk have to wear a uniform when the rest of the IT department (that sits in the same room) doesnt...

Worth a chat to your HR peps, likely nothing will change, but is the company guidelines differ that may help, it may be that the top bods want a more formal approach to how the staff look, so worth a chat.

If they provide the uniform they can require you to wear it - if they don't provide it dress codes are a grey area

also i'd register slight suprise that you work for a firm of solicitors , but are seeking advice on employment law on a photography forum

What do your conditions of employment say? Have you had to sign acceptance of any new terms?

Steve.

I'd love any excuse to not have to wear a shirt and tie to work!

What would happen if you wore something else?

Ties are the most ridiculous piece of clothing currently in use. When I moved house a few years ago, I got rid of all of mine.

Steve.

If they provide the uniform they can require you to wear it - if they don't provide it dress codes are a grey area

also i'd register slight suprise that you work for a firm of solicitors , but are seeking advice on employment law on a photography forum

i work in IT... im not a solicitor... and i just wanted to test the waters a bit :)

had some comments from staff earlier asking if id dropped my sarnie down my shirt and had to wear it, so as you can probably understand im not best pleased about not looking smart at work :(

What do your conditions of employment say? Have you had to sign acceptance of any new terms?

Steve.

nope nothing through however as ever the staff handbook is suitably vague...

"8. Dress and Appearance
The dress code at ......... is formal
business dress.
The personal appearance of employees
makes an important contribution to the
company’s reputation and image. For
this reason, it is important that your
dress and appearance is professional
and reflects the environment in which
you work.
All employees will be expected
to comply with any management
instructions concerning dress and
appearance.
......... has a business casual
day each Friday but employees are
expected to dress appropriately for
meetings as required. This privilege
may be withdrawn if employees do not
dress appropriately."

the bottom line is pretty much that if its required by your contract or T&c they can dictate what you wear so long as it isnt demeaning , or contrary to your religion
full SP here http://www.worksmart.org.uk/rights/is_my_employer_allowed_to_specify_how

(btw i get that you're not a solicitor - i was thinking more that you work for a solicitors firm so may be one of the employees who is, might be a better source of legal advice than TP)

the bottom line is pretty much that if its required by your contract or T&c they can dictate what you wear so long as it isnt demeaning , or contrary to your religion
full SP here http://www.worksmart.org.uk/rights/is_my_employer_allowed_to_specify_how

(btw i get that you're not a solicitor - i was thinking more that you work for a solicitors firm so may be one of the employees who is, might be a better source of legal advice than TP)

thank you everyone for your help :)

i didnt really want to bring it up in the office so went for the open forum approach :)

No brainer really, wear their shirts, wear out their shirts and keep yours for another day.

Unless...

The polo shirts are nylon and you work in an environment where static can damage equipment?

This is one of the more patronising comments that seems to pop up with increasing frequency on here. Whether it's motoring matters, public footpaths or employment issues, do you not think it likely that the OPs know that you get legal advice from a legal professional?

Surely using TP as a sounding board for different views and opinions is perfectly valid.

Management trends/thinking these days, gotta make my mark to make out I'm doing something positive.

A friend was told he had to pay for his own uniform when attending the Hay Festival as a waiter recently, plus work longer hours and not get paid any traveling (30mile round trip from their normal place of work). Out of 15 staff 11 left that day as they would have been out of pocket. Their boss said he was struggling to make a profit for the entire event......such a shame.

Last edited:
This is one of the more patronising comments that seems to pop up with increasing frequency on here. Whether it's motoring matters, public footpaths or employment issues, do you not think it likely that the OPs know that you get legal advice from a legal professional?

Surely using TP as a sounding board for different views and opinions is perfectly valid.

i dont think its partronising at all.

a load of internet people probably arent going to know the ins and outs of the OP contract or about employment law.

if anything its the most sensible advise, other than maybe speaking to HR.

I have a wardrobe full of smart shirts, suits and now barred from wearing them...

To put the converse view, I wear jeans and t-shirt to work and there would be a riot if we had to wear suits :naughty:. I'm not an "IT person" though, I only design and code computer software. Sorting out networking and servers in our office is just done on an ad hoc basis as needed, mostly by me, as we don't have an IT department (with or without branded polo shirts).

Unless...

The polo shirts are nylon and you work in an environment where static can damage equipment?

thats a nice argument - at worst the OP might get some nice comfy full cotton polo shirts out of it

i dont think its partronising at all.

a load of internet people probably arent going to know the ins and outs of the OP contract or about employment law.

if anything its the most sensible advise, other than maybe speaking to HR.

It might be sensible advice but the point is (and the patronising part) is you don't think the OP might have considered that?

I think that if this is your biggest worry at work, then you have no worries :)

If you really hate wearing polo shirts, then talk to your new manager, explain that you like to look smart and the polo isn't very smart. Try to find a compromise. You could start looking for a new job where you can wear a shirt and tie, although bear in mind that any company can change its dress code whenever it wants to.

Your company isn't breaking any laws.

If I was the OP I would just wear them. Nothing like being casual when your working. Much better than being trussed up in a shirt and tie.

The manager in question probably went on a course (I could just leave it there...) and believes a uniform promotes a sense of unity and teamwork, or he could just be a control freak.

youd be surprised..

(no offense to the OP)

anyway the OP clearly wasnt bothered by moose's comment.

That

the other thing is you get some really terrible advice given on forums sometimes - so its perfectly reasonable to point out that on serious matters like law (and medicine for that matter) one is best off speaking to a pro, not taking avice from uncle tom cobbleys bumper book of armchar refferences wot he read on the innerwebz innit.

anyway lets not trash/hijack this thread discussing ettiquette - if you think my post (or anyones) was out of line just RTM it and let the green team deal

anyway lets not trash/hijack this thread discussing ettiquette - if you think my post (or anyones) was out of line just RTM it and let the green team deal

I had to double check your title colour there for a second - it sounded like you'd been elevated to the green team for a moment ;)

so its perfectly reasonable to point out that on serious matters like law (and medicine for that matter)

and wearing polo shirts for work ?

<SmilE>

wow, only started this to see other peoples opinions... jeeeeeez calm down everyone...

yeagh.. don't get yer polo shirts in a twist!

is that right?

and wearing polo shirts for work ?

<SmilE>

well its terms and conditions and employment law innit ;) - doesnt sound serious, until he refuses to wear a polo shirt because a random internet muppet said he didnt have to and his boss fires him for failure to follow reasonable instructions.

Personally I don't give much of a toss whether he goes to work in a shirt, a polo shirt, stark ******* naked, or dressed as a womble - but if he's asking, my advice is that employment law is serious and needs a definitive answer from someone who knows what they are talking about.

On that subject it occurs to me OP are you in a union ? - if so they'd be a good place to find the definitive answer.

All employees will be expected
to comply with any management
instructions concerning dress and
appearance.

As Steve Smith implied earlier, I think your answer is here OP

If you are just after an opinion, then mine is rejoice in the freedom from the tie and collar! Yeah, you might have a bunch of nice shirts that may not get used much more, but that's a small price considering how much some spend on tools etc and barely use them (y)

remember that you can get a tax allowance (or whatever it is called) for the washing of a uniform, worth the couple of quid a year given that your already washing them, unless of course your employer washes your uniforms for you!

When I started at the company I am at now, about twenty five years ago, there was no dress code. About twelve years ago, the financial director decided that all office staff should wear 'proper trousers' (not jeans) and a shirt.

He left about five years ago and within a few weeks, the company's newly promoted general manager decided that jeans were o.k. again - mainly because he wanted to wear them.

Occasionally our department manager suggests we wear smart trousers and a shirt if customers are visiting but I haven't complied yet and have no intention to. Our terms and conditions which I have signed agreement to state that jeans are acceptable. And I think that our customers are ordinary people who probably wear jeans themselves and are more interested in our products than our attire.

Steve.

Back