Working at home is dangerous

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
Sitting at my desk these last few days, in between Teams meetings and testing systems and reading documents, for light relief I've been looking at Large Format gear - lenses and cameras. Not content with having hardly used my Chroma Snapshot yet, I thought it would be handy to get a couple more lenses for 4x5. So I just bought a couple from West Yorkshire Cameras (150mm and 210mm). Then, having lusted over them for a couple of years, I've just ordered an Intrepid 4x5. Credit cards are bluddy dangerous too.

Oh well, I'll just have to take some time off and do some togging.

And enjoy, as Gav said!

Sitting at my desk these last few days, in between Teams meetings and testing systems and reading documents, for light relief I've been looking at Large Format gear - lenses and cameras. Not content with having hardly used my Chroma Snapshot yet, I thought it would be handy to get a couple more lenses for 4x5. So I just bought a couple from West Yorkshire Cameras (150mm and 210mm). Then, having lusted over them for a couple of years, I've just ordered an Intrepid 4x5. Credit cards are bluddy dangerous too.

I just picked up a very nice MPP MkVII with a couple of lenses and a bunch of film backs. Never thought to blame 'working from home'. Thanks. :sneaky::cool:

Enjoy the new stuff. looking forward to seeing some images from it.

Joking aside, I have imposed a self ban on e-bay to deliver me from temptation. I have enough cr@p already (possibly MORE than enough [which is still not too much!!!]). I try to avoid the classifieds here too - it used to be possible to keep the whole section closed (even after closing the tab) but it seems that it now reappears after a tab closure. I TRY to keep out of there but sometimes the most recent post is something that tempts me in...

If I repeat "I do NOT need a Hassy outfit." a few thousand times, I might avoid it!!!

So you'll be getting one of the just released latest and improved version of the Intrepid 5x4? You could have gone for the 10x8 and just used a reducing back :)

I started out with a 150mm lens on 5x4 but later came to prefer the slightly longer 210mm. I'll be interested to hear if you have a preference after you've used them both.

@StephenM I was awfully tempted to go 10x8, but to be honest I was stretching the budget already. However I do think it likely that I will upgrade to the larger format eventually, but that is some way down the line for the moment. When funds are replenished, I might well start building the accessories towards that end.

The 10x8 comment was, as you would have guessed, semi humorous. There's something to be said for using a reducing back if the size and weight penalty isn't too great. What is more reasonable is to use a 5x7 camera with a 5x4 back. My Canham 5x7 weighs only 1 lb more than the Canham 5x5 and is lighter than a Walker 5x4. Plus the lenses for 5x7 aren't a lot bigger and heavier than 5x4 ones - in many/most cases the same lenses. From my viewpoint, larger format cameras usually have longer bellows, enabling longer lenses. The 5x7 Canham has 620mm bellows compared to 430 on the 5x4. Extra versatility for little extra in the way of weight and size.

Edit to add what should have been my main point. 10x8 lenses can carry a big size and weight penalty, whereas 5x4 and 5x7 lenses are often the same lens. I tend to aim for lenses than cover more than 5x4 if possible as future proofing.

I like the changes in the new Intrepid 5x4 by the way.

Last edited:
I just picked up a very nice MPP MkVII with a couple of lenses and a bunch of film backs. Never thought to blame 'working from home'. Thanks. :sneaky::cool:

Enjoy the new stuff. looking forward to seeing some images from it.
Excellent, I regret not buying the very nice MPP I was offered ten or more years ago, since then I have not had the missfortune to come across another. I know I could go looking but I really should not, hope you have fun with yours.
Will you printing from 54 or will you be scanning the negatives?

My lenses have arrived from West Yorkshire Cameras - nicely packed and excellent condition. I think all 3 lenses I now have would be fine at 5x7 but maybe on;y 2 at 10x8. I'm planning to dev and scan (I have a V850 scanner for the job), but at some future point I do want to get back into wet printing.

What exactly are the three? I know from my own searches that image circles can be hard to find (and in some cases, you have to just try it). I've tried to make sure that my lenses will cover as large a format as possible, while trying to keep size and weight down.

I've got
Rodenstock 210mm f5.6 Sironar-N
Rodenstock 150mm f5.6 Sironar-N
Schneider-Kreuznack 90mm f8 Super Angulon

I'm conscious that these are probably not the best of lenses, but until I know that I'm getting the hang of LF and shooting with some success, I don't want to spend too big a fortune

Last edited:
Excellent, I regret not buying the very nice MPP I was offered ten or more years ago, since then I have not had the missfortune to come across another. I know I could go looking but I really should not, hope you have fun with yours.
Will you printing from 54 or will you be scanning the negatives?
It's a minefield eh :)
Initially I will be scanning and maybe doing a few contact prints as I don't have a 4x5 enlarger and they are fairly expensive.

If I can find a 4x5 enlarger at a price I can afford then I will be all over it; I love darkroom printing.

If I can find a 4x5 enlarger at a price I can afford then I will be all over it; I love darkroom printing.
At college we had Devere 504's which were very nice to use, later at home I used a Durst Laborator 1000 (?) with colour head which can do most of the multigrade filters with some exposure compensation that unfortunately was only a couple of years prior to loosing the loft space my dark room inhabited.
I had thought that 54 enlargers would be worth very little these days but it would appear that the price has recovered some what from the lows of fifteen years ago.

I've not been able to work from home (as I don't have a million pounds worth of suitable kit lying round at home, and wouldn't have the samples to test even if that was sorted out) but I've been able to browse the web for camera purchases from my desk for years - this takes most of my lunchtimes :)

Getting 4x5 systems doesn't have to be expensive my second only cost £110 - without a lens, film or dark slides but otherwise pretty much complete. It's taken longer to get proper shuttered LF lenses at an affordable price, but shooting with a barrel lens (or even a pinhole) can be workable.

I had thought that 54 enlargers would be worth very little these days but it would appear that the price has recovered some what from the lows of fifteen years ago.
Tell me about it. When I parted with my Omega Prolab 54 about 15 years ago, I literally gave it away. Now it would probably go for two or three hundred.

:tumbleweed:

Omega Prolab 45 enlarger and Nova processor.jpg

I saw an LPL C7700MX on ebay during a break from work on Friday. It had a starting price of £24 and no bids. So I figured I would have a go and seewhat happened. It was pickup only which always impacts on the number of bids.

Got it for £24 and heading over to collect it this afternoon. I already have an enlarger for up to 6x6, this one is for a project idea to create a 4x5 enlarger.

I saw an LPL C7700MX on ebay during a break from work on Friday. It had a starting price of £24 and no bids. So I figured I would have a go and seewhat happened. It was pickup only which always impacts on the number of bids.

Got it for £24 and heading over to collect it this afternoon. I already have an enlarger for up to 6x6, this one is for a project idea to create a 4x5 enlarger.
Haven't tested it but everything is there. I need the stand and the baseboard and possibly part of the head mounting structure. If I'm careful I can always keep the head as a backup to my Philips enlarger.

It also came with a Pelling & Cross 16x12 easel and a connected Durst DES 101 meter/timer. Oh and an almost full pack of 100 8x10in Ilford Multigrade IV RC Deluxe.

Sounds like a bargain unless you had to drive 500 miles to collect it all!

I was just ditching the packaging from the parcel containing my two lenses, and found an envelope at the bottom of the box. So a shout-out to West Yorkshire Cameras, not only for supplying good quality used lenses with front and back lens caps, but a nice personal note and Yorkshire Gold teabag! What a nice company to deal with!

I was just ditching the packaging from the parcel containing my two lenses, and found an envelope at the bottom of the box. So a shout-out to West Yorkshire Cameras, not only for supplying good quality used lenses with front and back lens caps, but a nice personal note and Yorkshire Gold teabag! What a nice company to deal with!
Beware, those Yorkshire tea bags are for us tough northeners.who drink / drunk pints of the stuff............ you being one of them southern (ish) 'softies, (presumption based on your profile) , its likely that it'll blow ya brains out!! :runaway::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Beware, those Yorkshire tea bags are for us tough northeners.who drink / drunk pints of the stuff............ you being one of them southern (ish) 'softies, (presumption based on your profile) , its likely that it'll blow ya brains out!! :runaway::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:) ..but it ain't cheap down souf :(

I'll admit that my life has for the most part been lived in the south, although I do come from Yeoman stock - Shopshire farmers some of whom came from the lead mines of the welsh borders and before that the tin mines of Cornwall, so there's lead in my pencil and tin lining for my belly! (actually I've been drinking gallons of Yorkshire tea for years, so the tin has probably been corroded by the acerbic wit embodied in the brown fluid)

Not corroded - tannin plated!

(From a born and raised soft Southern Nancy - of much mixed descent, braised in Northern stock!)

Back