Working for Agencies - making my first step, advice please

Whoever is doing ti for free cant cover every match.... be the one who does crack it :)
I'll keep chipping away. I've targeted clubs to start and hardly got a reply. I think I need to scope out age group teams and see if I can get a game or two. It costs nothing to write a few messages when I'm watching TV so no excuse to give up

I'll keep chipping away. I've targeted clubs to start and hardly got a reply. I think I need to scope out age group teams and see if I can get a game or two. It costs nothing to write a few messages when I'm watching TV so no excuse to give up

scrap email.. social media :)

Trying to keep the skills up as I haven't shot much football lately. My son's team were playing, so the perfect opportunity. It has led to a paid gig at the weekend shooting the team they were playing in a cup final so worth the effort. There is a nice steady stream of work at the moment, it is nowhere near enough to call a job but it is exactly what I will need in retirement to top off my work pension and in the meantime it can be used to get more equipment. The first shot is Chris the ref. He refereed me when I was playing when I was my son's age now. That was 35 years ago and his trademark stand in one spot style and whistle and point hasn't changed a bit. At 78 years old he is a bit of a local treasure in Amateur fitba circles.

Attachments

• _A9_0537.jpg
    _A9_0537.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 31
  • _A9_0586.jpg
    _A9_0586.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 32
  • _A9_0695.jpg
    _A9_0695.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 25
  • _A9_2183.jpg
    _A9_2183.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 33
The first shot is Chris the ref. He refereed me when I was playing when I was my son's age now. That was 35 years ago and his trademark stand in one spot style and whistle and point hasn't changed a bit. At 78 years old he is a bit of a local treasure in Amateur fitba circles.

Did he (does he) referee Edinburgh Uni intramural football matches? If so, I think I remember him from my time about 20 years ago!

Did he (does he) referee Edinburgh Uni intramural football matches? If so, I think I remember him from my time about 20 years ago!
He reffed me in a number of leagues over the years and my son too. Wouldn't surprise me if he has reffed the Uni games. He will go anywhere where there is a few quid and usually goes where he can get a lift back. There was a nice piece on him a few years back when he reached retirement age.

First hire for a local football game and despite a mix up about when I was to arrive, never work with kids, especially your own, I think I did ok covering the game. Never easy when the team you are shooting is on the losing side of a cup final and when the other team dominated possession and territory but got a couple of nice images and more practice shooting in bright conditions against the light. With the team I was covering disappearing sharpish after the medal presentation I nabbed a few images of the winning team and MOTM etc and hopefully that will lead to a few more sales.

Attachments

• _A9_5303A.jpg
    _A9_5303A.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 18
  • _A9_3491A.jpg
    _A9_3491A.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 18
  • _A9_3368A.jpg
    _A9_3368A.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 17
  • _A9_3264A.jpg
    _A9_3264A.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 18
  • _A9_3008A.jpg
    _A9_3008A.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 19
First go at Athletics. Looks like they have a photographer who covers most of their events exclusively so not much of an earning opportunity. So many events at one time there should be plenty room for more than one photographer imo and it was a sport I really enjoyed photographing. I imagine the big meets where winning really means something would be great to photograph. Still chucked the images on the website and a sale has paid for fuel and my lunch so not bad when it was only meant to be an enjoyable day.
_A9_5598 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A9_4195 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A920659 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr
_A929982 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

I imagine the big meets where winning really means something

I hope none of the competitors you photographed read that haha :) thats quite insulting to them.. and after they paid for your dinner as well! :)

I hope none of the competitors you photographed read that haha :) thats quite insulting to them.. and after they paid for your dinner as well! :)
I never wrote that well did I:). It wasn't meant to be insulting and I should have been clearer. It was more the Cele images. Most just ran across the line and never really showed much emotion. The level of competition was great and even the youngsters cut some nice athletic shapes when doing the technical events.

Another sale so Fuel, lunch and a wee profit. The advice you gave on watermarking all images has really made a difference and events that I would never have dreamt of trying to earn from are now seeing a few sales which gives me hope for the future. Still striking out on youth football and I have given up for now, at least till the new season gets underway.

Edinburgh Glasgow at the weekend for SNS and then the Edinburgh Marathon the week after for Marathon Photos so some earnings already in the pipeline for this month.

Really enjoyed working alongside another two snappers at the 1872 Cup game. Pretty happy with the images I sent and I have been asked along to another game on Saturday. This is the first time I have knocked back work too as a former Hibs player asked me too cover his newly set up teams game but I was already covering the Edinburgh Marathon. Good problem to have.

I also got a new camera so no choice now but to keep working hard and bringing in regular money.

Reactions: KTC
I was already happy today being paid to do something I love, photographing the Boroughmuir Bears against Southern Knights. The day got better though when the SRU asked me to shoot a blonde player making their debut and I noticed it was a lad that I knew.
I have shot Finn since I started shooting sport as he played rugby with my son and I really felt quite proud seeing him reach these heights at such a young age. Well done to Finn, here the first image I took of him away back in 2016 at a 7s tournament in Galashiels. I feel my photography journey is similar in some ways to his as I am now way above the level I was at back then and lucky enough to be shooting a good level of sport and being paid for the privilege. Edinburgh Marathon tomorrow so a good weekend for the Photography balance book

Attachments

• _7D23420.jpg
    _7D23420.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 10
  • _A929947.jpg
    _A929947.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 10
That was a very long shift at the Edinburgh Marathon and Half Marathon. I was stationed on the finishing straight and sat from around 8.30am to 4.30pm after an initial meet of 7.30am. Minus a quick loo break I was shooting constantly as 30K runners went through. Great atmosphere all day and lots of runners really winding it up along that last few hundred yards cheered on by the crowd. I enjoyed the challenge of shooting as any as I could but for 200 quid it is a hard day. Still no processing and only sore wrists and back to nurse for the next few hours. 18600 shots taken on the day, thank goodness I am mirrorless.

Here are your typical type of images if anyone is interested. The athletes who see the cameras and play up really make the day much better than it could be as you get the rush of adrenalin you would when a cross comes into the box at football and you rush to zoom and frame to get a decent shot. I shot two cards so had a wee nosey at what I handed in. Can't see e wading through the files but here a few random ones to give an idea of the type of shot. It is very much F8 and don't be late

Attachments

• _A920314.JPG
    _A920314.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 24
  • _A925857.JPG
    _A925857.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 25
  • _A926401.JPG
    _A926401.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 24
  • _A926459.JPG
    _A926459.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
At that day rate, I'd have politely declined.
That was a very long shift at the Edinburgh Marathon and Half Marathon. I was stationed on the finishing straight and sat from around 8.30am to 4.30pm after an initial meet of 7.30am. Minus a quick loo break I was shooting constantly as 30K runners went through. Great atmosphere all day and lots of runners really winding it up along that last few hundred yards cheered on by the crowd. I enjoyed the challenge of shooting as any as I could but for 200 quid it is a hard day. Still no processing and only sore wrists and back to nurse for the next few hours. 18600 shots taken on the day, thank goodness I am mirrorless.

Here are your typical type of images if anyone is interested. The athletes who see the cameras and play up really make the day much better than it could be as you get the rush of adrenalin you would when a cross comes into the box at football and you rush to zoom and frame to get a decent shot. I shot two cards so had a wee nosey at what I handed in. Can't see e wading through the files but here a few random ones to give an idea of the type of shot. It is very much F8 and don't be late

Would have been a no for me at that rate.

At that day rate, I'd have politely declined.

Would have been a no for me at that rate.
It may well be for me next time but I am trying to get as many revenue streams as I can and when you are starting out that 200 quid seems OK when you had a pretty enjoyable day. I want to start reducing my hours in my main job, taking partial retirement and using photography as a way to bridge any shortfall. At the moment it seems possible but I won't be doing anything rash until I can get some constant revenue streams. I'm hoping the Scottish Government follow Westminster and push me out my job. For many it is a worrying time but for me I am desperate for a Voluntary Exit scheme

Southern Knights v Heriots today on behalf of SNS. I have a soft spot for the Knights so nice to be paid to visit. They won today and there was some decent action. First time in a while I have had a balls up. The FTP was as good as it has been but the OS slider on the 400 must have got nudged in the bag and I shot the whole match with it trying to correct a pan that didn't happen. I thought the images were poor through the viewfinder but put it down to heat haze from the astro. Client was happy enough but it is a real pain that I still make these rookie mistakes. At least my gear is now all bought and I will leave as is now and hopefully that will result in better and better results. Today was just one of those days and I won't dwell on it.

It has taken a bit of time but eventually I have got the web site sorted so I can sell individual images without the need for me to be involved. First event last night was a local Gala Day talent show and I have made a sale already. Rips my knitting that 10% of the profits are gone before I get the money but I added that on so have passed that to the buyers. Hopefully, I can now start to get some football to shoot and offer a free service but only watermarked images to be created without purchase. Again last nights event is something I have shot for free a couple of times and while it is small change it is all still part of me becoming more used to operating as a business and seeing and realising value in what I produce. The event was also shot using flash so another bit of development for me and something I want to learn more about. I realise this thread is drifting far away from its initial topic but it is very much the same journey so hopefully my musing can be kept on here as the bulk of what I do is working in sports.

18600 shots taken on the day, thank goodness I am mirrorless.

nightmare over 18000 shots on the day....

Wait until you get older haha.. I dont do any jobs over 3 hrs.. I dont do running jobs taking the same pic over and over... BUT I can see why you are doing it and I was exactly the same when I started.. as many jobs and as much money as possible and different revenue streams.... your on the right track and you will gte to where you can pick and choos.. but for now its all experience and getting into the system so to speak :)

nightmare over 18000 shots on the day....

Wait until you get older haha.. I dont do any jobs over 3 hrs.. I dont do running jobs taking the same pic over and over... BUT I can see why you are doing it and I was exactly the same when I started.. as many jobs and as much money as possible and different revenue streams.... your on the right track and you will gte to where you can pick and choos.. but for now its all experience and getting into the system so to speak :)
Thanks. Still really enjoying it and have my first football game with SNS next month. Really looking forward to getting back to football. As you say it is all experience for now and just got another 100 quid from a theatre gig I did which is much easier money. Another few sales from last night so it keeps the photo balance ticking over.

Rips my knitting that 10% of the profits are gone before I get the money but I added that on so have passed that to the buyers.

Problem solved then! Besides, 10% of EXTRA (?profit? or takings?) income still leaves you with 90% of it.

Mrs Nod went to an online payment system at the start of the year and while it does cost her a percentage of the income, it leaves her with a LOT more spare time so pays for itself, especially since it also deals with all the class bookings so she now only has to deal with newbies' enquiries and people wanting to book the whole place for weekend workshops.

Problem solved then! Besides, 10% of EXTRA (?profit? or takings?) income still leaves you with 90% of it.

Mrs Nod went to an online payment system at the start of the year and while it does cost her a percentage of the income, it leaves her with a LOT more spare time so pays for itself, especially since it also deals with all the class bookings so she now only has to deal with newbies' enquiries and people wanting to book the whole place for weekend workshops.
That was my thinking too. Uploading the images and selling is so much easier and because they are bought without me needing to reply to emails and find the images etc it saves so much time and I think it will ultimately mean more sales

At last I have a breakthrough at youth sports. I have taken @KIPAX advice and targeted teams through their social media. I ended up with two for the price of one on Sunday photographing a couple of cup finals. Hopefully I can secure the other two that day at the same venue but I'm not overly bothered if I don't. I am doing it on a no fee basis and will only put out watermarked images. I have done this a few times for the rugby and made more than I would have charged for simply attending so I am hopeful football is the same. Gala day tomorrow and that is another event I have done free a good few times and have asked for a fee this time. Another few sales from the talent show I photographed too so starting to feel a wee bit more confident.

At last I have a breakthrough at youth sports. I have taken @KIPAX advice and targeted teams through their social media. I ended up with two for the price of one on Sunday photographing a couple of cup finals. Hopefully I can secure the other two that day at the same venue but I'm not overly bothered if I don't. I am doing it on a no fee basis and will only put out watermarked images. I have done this a few times for the rugby and made more than I would have charged for simply attending so I am hopeful football is the same. Gala day tomorrow and that is another event I have done free a good few times and have asked for a fee this time. Another few sales from the talent show I photographed too so starting to feel a wee bit more confident.

Told you.. keep at it.. and eventually :)

Three cup finals shot on Sunday and only one sale. At least it was a good sale with one of the winning teams buying a gallery. The images seemed to go down well judging by the comments on Facebook and one image did well on twitter on the Scottish Womens Football site. My website had plenty traffic and plenty views so perhaps the photos aren't what is wanted or the watermark is not strong enough to stop people just using the images as they are without paying. At least I got another few sales from last weeks gala so not a bad couple of weeks and my target of £100 a week is being met most weeks and beaten quite often too.
On a separate note I'm beginning to hate astro. The haze was terrible for a couple of games and I will swap back to the lower resolution bodies the next time I shoot on it as the 50mp of the A1 doesn't play well with the heat haze.

My 2p worth on Copyright info on website images,
I changed mine due to the issues you are having and I now have this on all images on my website:
It's made a huge difference compared to previous attempts at deterring image theft.

© www.joeblogs.com
This image has not been
purchased

My 2p worth on Copyright info on website images,
I changed mine due to the issues you are having and I now have this on all images on my website:
It's made a huge difference compared to previous attempts at deterring image theft.

© www.joeblogs.com
This image has not been
purchased

Thanks, That will be my next move. Sales may have been hit by my package options not working. All a bit new for me but I have managed to get it fixed. It still isn't what I wanted as I wanted a site that made images cheaper the more you bought. Multi image packages is as good as it gets on Zenfolio. Another few sales tonight so I'm not to displeased with my efforts on Sunday and I would have been weeding if I wasn't out shooting the finals so it is a win/win

On a separate note I'm beginning to hate astro. The haze was terrible for a couple of games and I will swap

The longer the focul length the worse it is.. not much point taking my 400 on a bright hot sunny day if 3g.. the haze kills the pics :(

The longer the focul length the worse it is.. not much point taking my 400 on a bright hot sunny day if 3g.. the haze kills the pics :(
That is what I am finding. I was shooting with a new camera and thought it was me or the fact I had the wrong IS settings selected but it is definitely haze. So rare to shoot on warm sunny days in Scotland I forgot it was an issue.

That is what I am finding. I was shooting with a new camera and thought it was me or the fact I had the wrong IS settings selected but it is definitely haze. So rare to shoot on warm sunny days in Scotland I forgot it was an issue.

The only IS setting to use is OFF :)

First time t happened to me I presumed it was a problem wiht the lens as it didnt happen to other lens... I paid a fortune to have it fixed.. was away so long the good weather had dissapeared so it seemed like they had done a good job until next summer and i figured it out... ripped off by a scotsman... lensdoctor :(

Would a polariser make any difference?

Doubtful but to be honest at 200 quid each I aint buying one to try :( Would love to know if anyone has tried ?

Heat haze. Horrible stuff.
If you can get high and shoot "down" at the action, like in a stand or on the embankment.
and/or shoot with the sun behind you. These will help lessen the effect of heat haze, but will be still present.
It can come and go, one picture sharp the next soft. 3g on a hot day is the worst. If its a 28 degree day then could be 45 degrees out in the middle.
You definitely start to doubt yourself and your equipment. And you can not always tell if its there till you look at the pictures.

Had a few jobs recently with the Agency. Did my first Press Conference which was really enjoyable. Need a bigger flash though as my speedlight only just managed to outpower the sun for the player shoot afterwards and was slow to recharge. Shot my first football game for them too and it went fairly well. Missed a couple of goals due to players blocking the scorer and one which was a rebound so got the initial shot but missed the scorer. Also did a Dog Agility Show yesterday and a few sales in already with a good few enquiries as well. I'm shooting a Charity Walk down in Northumberland on Sunday so that will be the 100 quid a week target broken for July half way through the month. Need to consider a new target in the near future to keep pushing on.

Attachments

• _SA12549.jpg
    _SA12549.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 7
Dog show ended up a decent earner and I would probably do another one. Did my second press conference which was a bit of a bust with one player not coming out for photos and waiting the best part of 3 hours in between a 15 minute training session for the next to show. One of those things and more learning for me. Did another big Marathon event. This time it was a MacMillan Charity Walk. Brilliant event and the company I worked for paid a decent rate and were excellent with info and making sure you were fed and watered etc. Hope to do a few more of these and next time I will make sure I take the factor 50 as I was burnt to a crisp. The photography isn't interesting but I like the interaction with the participants. My best month so far and a chance to top the grand for the month if another gig comes in with a few more dog sale images. That is way beyond my expectations and shows me that if I can keep building contacts and working at every opportunity there may be a road out of work. Already got 4 gigs next month so the money will keep trickling in.

Last edited:
I had the joy of photographing the team I love last week in both a game and a press conference. Today I was asked to do an ex player of our rivals Testimonial Press Conference. Really looking forward to it even though my only previous experience is shouting abuse from the Terraces. Even when it comes to rivals I like to see players putting their time in and being rewarded for their efforts with a testimonial. First try with a decent flash head so hoping I can get the images spot on and these midweek gigs start to become more regular. There is only so much earning you can do at the weekend so if I am to leave my main job I need work through the week.

Back