working with layers

Name
Sean Logie
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm admitting from the get go i'm absolutely pants at this processing lark,the thing i really want to master is merging 3 individual exposures (bracketed shots ) i use elements 5 for my limited processing skills. Just wondered if anyone can suggest a fools guide to doing this :)

I don't use elements, but I have a sneaky feeling v5 may not support layer masks (which you'll need to easily blend the layers together)
Basicilly you stack the 3 layer one above the other, then on the layer mask you paint out the bit you want to see through, reveling the bit of the layer below.
Without layer masks the only way is to erase bits of each layer showing the one below, the problem with this method is your actually removing bits of the image rather than just hiding them, and with masks it's easier to correct mistakes, you just switch colour and paint the mistake back in.
You may be able to cheat and use ajustment layers (without actually ajusting anything) these will have layer masks as standard, but I don't know offhand if v5 does them.
heres a tut to get you started.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/elements/fake-layer-mask/

Back