Working with people - advice.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I've been a keen amateur photographer for a good couple of years now.
It is only a hobby (although my day job does involve some aspects of photography where required) and I've never had the confidence to take it further.
I know my way around a camera and understand the fundamentals required to take a nice clean sharp image...
My main job roll is to assist with marketing assistance in my company along with Web development and I look after our internal IT system.

Ive done product photography, photo editing, headshots for most of the people in the company I work for...
Now my boss has said could I come to work to take photos of his family/kids as a gift for his parents anniversary.
Although I understand what's required to take an image and I understand lighting for a group shot and camera settings... Working with people just makes me uneasy and makes me feel way out of my comfort zone. Although I know I can do it.
Do you guys have any tips on working with people?

I've never been in that situation. But I do think that any subject will pick up on your mood and you might not get the best out of it if you are tense yourself. I think that you could say the same for any situation, photography or not. It's probably not easy, but just be as open and relaxed as you can be. Don't shut off any possibilities.

Can someone else help with the shoot? For example to chat with the family, suggest some poses and so on, leaving you to concentrate on the lighting and taking the shot?

Ask questions to create dialogue and distract from the camera. Avoid politics. Shoot through a situation instead of gambling on predicting the right millisecond. Positive reinforcement is great but avoid giving them diabetes from being too positive and focus on expression. Expression is more important than the technical side of things.

Have fun with it and try not to bury yourself in the pursuit of things going exactly to plan, they never do :)

He must be impressed with what you can do :) You'll find that the people you are taking pictures of are more nervous than you.
Just be at ease and make them do as they're told. Don't forget to charge him ;-)

Working with people just makes me uneasy and makes me feel way out of my comfort zone

Don't let this show. If you look uncomfortable, they will feel uncomfortable.
Don't overcomplicate your photography. If things start to go wrong it will be added stress you don't need and it can be difficult to recover from. Stick to what you know.
Confidence is everything. If you're relaxed, they will relax and you will get better images.
Develop a few lines or jokes to crack a smile. Even if they're crap dad jokes.

It's about establishing a rapport and a dialogue. How old are the kids? Have you got experience of dealing with kids at that age? Find a topic that interests them and engage them with it. They will soon relax into the conversation and forget about the camera. Of course if they're 2, that's a different story...

If he's after traditional group shots though (you don't say how many in the group) it could be more a case of herding cats like at a wedding... People skills will be less important than crowd management.

Dealing with groups requires a bit more of a "taking charge" mentality, whilst 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 can be much more relaxed.

You'll be fine. Now this is important though. :D Ask them to all wear very similar or preferably the same clothes, more likely informal. If it's a jeans and tea shirt job a plain white/black/grey one is fine but ask them to avoid patterns, stripes, logo's on stuff. Neutral colours work best.
I've done quite a few family shots, and believe me some take no notice and come in colours of the rainbow!
It's disheartening some times lol

I have worked with people quite a lot- Photographing the local school prom in 2019, a few Weddings same year- not much last year ( Covid) and a few booked for this year mid summer.

my advice is this DON'T DO IT - your boss will expect pristine images and if cannot provide that, I'd back out saying you do not have the relevant experience- no shame in that :)

Les

PS we are still on Lockdown, I would check the legality of what your boss wants you to do - just a thought

I'm going to counter the "don't do it" crowd in answering the question you never asked.

Give it a go, but set the expectation with your boss. Even make a joke that he'll be getting exactly what he's paying for! If you've never done this before, it will be good experience. You may decide it's a new career path, or you may decide it's a mugs game. Either way, if you set the right expectation with your boss, nothing is lost. If you don't try you will never know, and opportunities like this won't be around every corner.

If your boss is a bit of a nightmare though, best to steer clear :)

This will be 80% preparation and 20% photography-planning is the key to this , pro photoshoots don't just happen.
Go through a shooting schedule with your boss, what, who ,where etc so you have a list of shots to be taken, try to see the venue if possible and work out seating/standing arrangements ,lighting etc-in short do the preparatory work and have a plan.
On the day don't forget the obvious ( batteries etc) and look for odd objects in the shots(s) .I knew a guy who was second shooter at a wedding-he spent hours cloning out a coke tin that he had missed, it was in a high proportion of his shots.

I'm going to counter the "don't do it" crowd in answering the question you never asked.

Give it a go, but set the expectation with your boss. Even make a joke that he'll be getting exactly what he's paying for! If you've never done this before, it will be good experience. You may decide it's a new career path, or you may decide it's a mugs game. Either way, if you set the right expectation with your boss, nothing is lost. If you don't try you will never know, and opportunities like this won't be around every corner.

No matter how many expectations you set he’ll spill be disappointed if it doesn’t turn out as he envisioned.

if you want some people experience find some subject who’ll help you and will enable you to get what you want. This won’t.

the ‘don’t do it’ crowd seems to be just me. Big crowd:)

No matter how many expectations you set he’ll spill be disappointed if it doesn’t turn out as he envisioned.

How can you know this? Have you never been pleasantly surprised?

How can you know this? Have you never been pleasantly surprised?

Really? You think I’m wrong? Experience cause it’s repeated time and again. Bloke (not even a friend) wants cheap photos and is disappointed when he gets what he paid for

Last edited:
Hi all, I've been a keen amateur photographer for a good couple of years now.
It is only a hobby (although my day job does involve some aspects of photography where required) and I've never had the confidence to take it further.
I know my way around a camera and understand the fundamentals required to take a nice clean sharp image...
My main job roll is to assist with marketing assistance in my company along with Web development and I look after our internal IT system.

Ive done product photography, photo editing, headshots for most of the people in the company I work for...
Now my boss has said could I come to work to take photos of his family/kids as a gift for his parents anniversary.
Although I understand what's required to take an image and I understand lighting for a group shot and camera settings... Working with people just makes me uneasy and makes me feel way out of my comfort zone. Although I know I can do it.
Do you guys have any tips on working with people?

I wouldn’t worry too much. If your boss valued photography he would hire a portrait photographer. He just wants some free photos of his family, so his expectations will be low. He has already used you to do free commercial work for him. He seems like a bit of a chancer. When it comes to photography people are often taken advantage of in this way. The amateur photographer thinks its great to be able to do some photo work at work, not realising they are being exploited. Would be surprised if your job description mentions anything about photography if your job role is in I.T. Are you a member of a trade union?

However legally you aren’t allowed under current lockdown regulations to shoot this for him at the moment. I would just explain this to him and tell him to get back in touch when you are legally allowed to do it. Your boss may be aware of this which is why he hasn’t hired someone who knows what they are doing. If that is the case don’t allow him to pressure you into breaking the law. You might be able to get around the restrictions if you are photographing them in your place of work. They would still be breaking current unnecessary travel restrictions but at the end of the day that is not your concern.

Last edited:
Asking questions and engaging them all to a conversation is a great idea for both your models and you. People feel much more relaxed in front of the camera when when don't think about it all the time. Good luck and try to stay relaxed and keep it easy!

In the past I have done weddings and hated it . Even worse if your a guest as well ....to much to control with to many things than can and do go wrong .. in the extreme past 50 or so years ago I was fine working on a one to one basis with nudes and found it far easier to control . But these days much prefer wildlife which has no stress involved .. good luck with your venture you will ether love it or loathe itb

I'm with f/2.8 on this - " However legally you aren’t allowed under current lockdown regulations to shoot this for him at the moment"

However, I do differ with his final sentence - " They would still be breaking current unnecessary travel restrictions but at the end of the day that is not your concern.". If I were the OP it would be my concern as I would have misgivings about how the family have been behaving during lockdown if they think this is an acceptable reason to leave the home. My own health would be the paramount interest for me.

Each to their own when it comes to photography. there's no 'one size fits all'. My suggestion would be to recognise your limitations, and embrace them. If someone asked me to photograph them or their family these days then I'd flatly refuse, unless they were completely comfortable with accepting my unique take on that... which would be more Martin Parr than David Bailey or Patrick Lichfield!

Last edited:
With me, I've always been a little awkward socially, in that I'm really uncomfortable with small talk (like if you're in a cab or getting your hair cut, scares me to death).
But when I'm behind the camera it's like I can hide and I become confident in talking to people.

As you describe your boss as his I assume his family includes a partner/wife.
IMO it won't be the boss you have to please, but his spouse.

The most 'advised' way to give people a little confidence boost when dealing with people (especially addressing an audience) is to 'try and picture them naked'. :mooning:

Thank you all for the advice... Biggest multi-quote I've ever had to do haha... It's a bit of a tricky one with the whole Covid19 situation and the laws, however it's a bit of a grey area... He's not actually my manager, he's my company director. So he's suggested that I do the shoot in the place of work after hours...
So it's him and his wife and his 3 kids. (Aged 3 and a half is the youngest, aged 16 is the oldest)

His sister is another company director for the same company (so it would be her family as a separate shoot with her 3 kids, aged 8 to 17.

and the Shoot is for a gift for his Dad (managing director) and his Mam's anniversary (also the other company director)

So it's a bit of a tricky situation in regards to the law because I am carrying out the work in my normal place of work.
It's for his family (In the premises they own, and is also their place of work)

Can someone else help with the shoot? For example to chat with the family, suggest some poses and so on, leaving you to concentrate on the lighting and taking the shot?
I'm pretty much myself with the shot, unfortunately. So can't really bring anyone in. (trying to keep covid friendly and within the law)

He must be impressed with what you can do :) You'll find that the people you are taking pictures of are more nervous than you.
Just be at ease and make them do as they're told. Don't forget to charge him ;-)
Most of the prep work I'll be doing will be within my working hours anyways.. I'll then come in with my camera, lighting set up etc, I'll literally be coming in on the Saturday afternoon after working hours to carry out the shoot. (he said he'll obviously pay me)
How old are the kids? Have you got experience of dealing with kids at that age?
one group with a 3 and a half-year-old, and his 2 older brothers in their teens.
the other group with an 8-year-old and her older brother (or maybe 2 older brothers) both in their teens.

I've got an 18-month old who likes to try and lick my camera lens and I've got a 3 and a half-year-old who doesn't stand still haha.
I’m going to say this and make no apology for it. If you’re uncomfortable don’t. It sounds like he’s using you to get a cheap pressie
I can see why you would think this,.. Knowing him as a person, I think it's more of a bypass of the covid laws as it is taking in my place of work, and he doesn't have to bring an external photographer in... plus knowing him over the years, he's always been more of a person to give people chances to try and do things they enjoy... I've came up from a warehouse picker. into the website development (as this is what I loved doing as a hobby) which has kind of merged into marketing executive/product photographer in house as part of my day job. So i have developed as a company through the year, and he's always kind of gave me free reign to make improvements and kind of do things off my own initiative.

Me doing our headshots for the company wasn't prompted by him. it was my suggestion, taking a hobby I love and bringing it into my workplace.

I have worked with people quite a lot- Photographing the local school prom in 2019, a few Weddings same year- not much last year ( Covid) and a few booked for this year mid-summer.

my advice is this DON'T DO IT - your boss will expect pristine images and if cannot provide that, I'd back out saying you do not have the relevant experience- no shame in that :)

Les

PS we are still on Lockdown, I would check the legality of what your boss wants you to do - just a thought

This is where I'm in 2 minds at the moment Les, I know I can take the pictures, I'm just not sure how proficient I am. Although i have enjoyed photography for a good few years, I think it would be nieve for me to assume I can pull this off with no hitches... As I do make mistakes occasionally... For example today I was shooting product, I've looked back through my shots and noticed that 2 of the shots I've actually dialled in a wrong setting when I've returned to the shoot and shot at 1/320th of a second instead of 1/250th which is not my flash sync speed, and I've ruined them 2 shots because of a mistake.. I don't mind because it's my mistake to correct, however, when it's peoples time your wasting it's a different story.

I've thought about asking him to give me examples of what he wants... Then if i can achieve this, I'll say I'll have a go... If it's out of my ability, I'll be straight with him. He's a pretty open guy to be honest.

I wouldn’t worry too much. If your boss valued photography he would hire a portrait photographer. He just wants some free photos of his family, so his expectations will be low. He has already used you to do free commercial work for him. He seems like a bit of a chancer. When it comes to photography people are often taken advantage of in this way. The amateur photographer thinks its great to be able to do some photo work at work, not realising they are being exploited. Would be surprised if your job description mentions anything about photography if your job role is in I.T. Are you a member of a trade union?

I'm not a member of a union. My job roll is officially a marketing executive, which has involved website work/content and photography, I've kind of stepped up from there now and i look after the internal system as my knowledge is more so in IT. The commercial work I done was actually within my working hours. So it was paid, but this was at my hourly rate.
I'm with f/2.8 on this - " However legally you aren’t allowed under current lockdown regulations to shoot this for him at the moment"

However, I do differ with his final sentence - " They would still be breaking current unnecessary travel restrictions but at the end of the day that is not your concern.". If I were the OP it would be my concern as I would have misgivings about how the family have been behaving during lockdown if they think this is an acceptable reason to leave the home. My own health would be the paramount interest for me.

As mentioned previously about the covid restrictions. I wouldn't be doing this in anyone's home, It's at my place of work where I do go every day, I do have regular meetings with my boss. We have temperature checks on arrival etc to try to be as covid safe as possible.

As you describe your boss as his I assume his family includes a partner/wife.
IMO it won't be the boss you have to please, but his spouse.

She's actually the more laid back of the couple to be honest!

Thank you again for all of your feedback guys, It's giving me things to think about and where to go with things. I'll keep you all informed if i do decide to go with it!

Thanks

So I finally done this shoot this weekend and was much more relaxed than I expected.

The shoot was done in their back garden.
Done 1x group of the first 3 grandkids, first, had 10 minutes to see what would work etc.
Managed to get 4 decent locations in the garden for them set of 3 grandkids, then done some solo portrait style shots of them with the 85mm f1.8.

Once they had their photoshoot done, then I done the group shot of 6 of them in a couple of locations,standing,seated etc with a 4 year old to make for some interesting shots!

Then pretty much repeated the shots of the first group if 3 kids with the second group.
Ended up managing to deliver 100+ good images for them to use!

Thanks for the advice all.

Back