Workshops

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I took my camera along to a relatives wedding this past weekend. They asked me to grab some 'natural' shots. I really enjoyed taking the shots and I'm fairly happy with what I got. Therefore I have decided to Venture into the portrait/wedding photography.

Does anybody know of any workshops in the Cambridgeshire area where I could gain some valuable experience/lessons?

(P.S that won't break the bank)

Phil

Can't help with a workshop recommendation, but show us what you got that you're fairly happy with, and I for one can suggest a sensible way forward.

Well ... that's definitely Marmite processing, but there's nowt wrong with yer snaps.

Based on the way you asked the question, your post above, those pictures and 10 years as a full-time pro wedding snapper, my feeling is that at this stage, any wedding photography workshop would be a waste of your time and money. And the reason I say that is that you're obviously well capable of doing what most "wedding snappery for newbies" workshops would show you how to do.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, my wife and I once did what was at the time reckoned to be the definitive one-day course, as a result of which we still have certificates showing that we successfully passed the BIPP Foundation In Wedding Photography Course. Wow. It was a complete and utter waste of our time and money, so much so that we eventually got our money back, as did several others who also turned out for it. Note that I'm not saying there aren't any worthwhile workshops aimed at wannabe wedding snappers, only that even though the subject has cropped up countless times both online and in the real world in the 15 years since I got into weddings, I personally know of nobody who's attended one and found it worthwhile.

If I was you. I'd save my money and just take every opportunity to get experience of photographing weddings. How you do that's up to you, but ...

important_zpsoz4zpe4f.jpg

Unusually I disagree with a couple of Dan's points here.
First the snaps, Generally I agree with Dan but (things you should have tried better at - whilst I appreciate you weren't the primary photographer)
1. the bar on that door bugs me, if they were a step further forward (or you were 2 steps to your left) you'd avoid it
2. Love it - would have prepared the Brides face, but I often feel the same with my dance shots
3. OK
4. Clearly set up to be shot from a different angle - you've got a skewed background and no connection with the subject
5. If they'd taken a step to the left that gate would have disappeared.

Workshops - like Dan said, they'll not teach you to improve any of that. They will allow you to create a handful of knockout images you probably won't remember how to recreate, because they never explain 'why', study some great portrait photographers. And take every opportunity to photograph people use windowlight, flash, get outside, learn about where you are in relation to your light source.

For a first go though - you should be well pleased.

Yep, it's a case of always looking around your subject and the background before squeezing the trigger.

...Generally I agree with Dan but (things you should have tried better at ...

Ah. I just realised that I missed out one important word. I thought I'd put " ... nowt wrong with yer snaps, considering." :rolleyes:

And seeing as how Phil didn't mention this either, I'm fairly certain there's at least two of us out here wondering how long it'll be before you get another bunch of guests doing that during a first dance ...

:)

Last edited:

And seeing as how Phil didn't mention this either, I'm fairly certain there's at least two of us out here wondering how long it'll be before you get another bunch of guests doing that during a first dance ...

:)
It's never happened at one of my weddings :(

Thanks very much for all your input guys. Great points that I'll take with me to my next wedding.

In the mean time I'll be doing my best to drag some friends/family to some locations to practise shooting portraits etc. I'm also going to look back over my processing as I wanted that matte look but I may have gone a little overboard with it.

Once again thanks all and I'll be sure to post my next wedding snaps up for you to see if I've improved!

Phil

Thanks very much for all your input guys. Great points that I'll take with me to my next wedding.

In the mean time I'll be doing my best to drag some friends/family to some locations to practise shooting portraits etc. I'm also going to look back over my processing as I wanted that matte look but I may have gone a little overboard with it.

Once again thanks all and I'll be sure to post my next wedding snaps up for you to see if I've improved!

Phil
Great idea, but don't just be dragging them to pretty locations, practice shooting in fairly drab places too, and cluttered, and in different kinds of light (note I said practice shooting people at every opportunity).

Our job is to find the light to create great images, to find the angles that hide the clutter, to capture the interactions, it's not just about posing nicely dressed folk in pretty locations (though many people think it is).

Taking a couple of your mates to a country park at sunset won't prepare you for shooting bridal prep in a dimly lit hotel room containing 4 people's worth of luggage. But it might help you understand how to balance flash and ambient.
(No workshop will prepare you for those 2 things)

Back