Worldwide Pinhole Day 28th April 2013

I've done it for the last few years, I'll be entering another shot this year as well. A separate thread is a good idea.

Might have to dig out my little plastic Science Museum pinhole camera. Or even splash out on a modified body cap. Anyone got any recommendations for any of the cap suppliers (or pre drilled pinholes [I know they're laser cut but drilling's quicker to type!!!])?

I'm interested......got a Holga WPC which has only seen one film through it.

Looks like it could see daylight again on the 28th then!

Not sure how long it will take to get my results up mindst.....I've still yet to scan the negs from the TYBCTWD which was over a month ago :eek:

I'm interested......got a Holga WPC which has only seen one film through it.

Few cameras get me incandescent with rage, but my WPC does. Do you have to put rubber bands or electrical tape around it to keep the back on yours? Does yours sometimes only expose half a frame if you use the 'wrong cable release'? How does it even manage that? Half a pinhole? Grrrr. Yup,I will be using mine too.

I've been considering making a pin hole camera for a while now, I think this is the excuse I need.

Few cameras get me incandescent with rage, but my WPC does. Do you have to put rubber bands or electrical tape around it to keep the back on yours? Does yours sometimes only expose half a frame if you use the 'wrong cable release'? How does it even manage that? Half a pinhole? Grrrr. Yup,I will be using mine too.

I must have fallen lucky as the back holds together ok without tape etc .....probably spoke too darned soon now!! lol

As for half a frame.....When I tested it without film to ensure the remote shutter release cable would work, I found that the shutter didn't open fully .....It took several attempts with differing cables ( fortuanetly i have several!) before finding one that worked correctly.

I best make a start now testing them again as I'll be b******ed if I can remember which one I used last time!!!!!!

You're right, they're not cheap! I can get a set of tiny drills for less and make my own!

It's much easier not to try and use a 0.2mm drill bit, but to choose sufficiently thick stock, use a standard 0.5mm bit and try and drill 90 of the way through, then use the finest wet and dry paper you can rub from the other side. This way you can get truly tiny holes, which can be circled out with a very sharp pin, and make them to your own spec.

It takes about 5mins per hole and is so simple

It's much easier not to try and use a 0.2mm drill bit, but to choose sufficiently thick stock, use a standard 0.5mm bit and try and drill 90 of the way through, then use the finest wet and dry paper you can rub from the other side. This way you can get truly tiny holes, which can be circled out with a very sharp pin, and make them to your own spec.

It takes about 5mins per hole and is so simple

or, use the metal from a coke tin (side)

take a very fine pin/nail and ding it, and use wet and dry from the other side (to flatten the ding off. Repeat the proces sont he same spot form alternating sides, untill a very small hole is formed. then use the finest needle you can find to open the hole up into a perfect circle. takes about 10 mins, but the starting place is a very very small hole, which you can make bigger and bigger as you need

Last edited:
I saw Ilford selling a 5x4 pinhole camera at Focus a few weeks ago, but it was a couple of hundred pounds which seemed a little excessive to me.

I used a bit of tin foil with a hole poked in it with a pin, taped over a hole drilled into a body cap

Works nicely...ish and cost me a spare body cap

(y)

Agreed...part of the attraction is the making of the pinhole camera... seems a shame to miss out on that by buying one.

How well does a pinhole body cap work in a 35mm camera? I'm guessing that as the film is small and the cap is close to the film, you'd get a more blurry image than in a larger combination...

you could use a macro extension tube to extend the cap away from the film plane

Just a quick reminder that this is taking place tomorrow (28th April 2013).

Just a quick reminder that this is taking place tomorrow (28th April 2013).

I'm nearly ready, if only I could decide what film to use :thinking:

Well it's hissing down :(

Nonetheless hoping to get out this afternoon.

At least i have my assistant free today (the Mrs) to hold a brolly! :D

F/128, EV of about 11 equates to about 8 elephants.

Recipricol failure with fomapan and 6 frames means i'll have a HUGE herd to round up :D:D

Last edited:
Searched out a suitable remote shutter release....all was looking good 'til the interns of the remote cable jammed solid within the screw threads of the cameras shutter release catch.

Had to strip the camera down to release it. Simple enough ( bit like a box brownie tbh but it's knacked up the remote cable.

Other remotes cables won't fully open the shutter so gunna have to fix the shutter open and use a lens cap of some description....found the body cap from OM-10 fits a treat.

Camera rebuilt, no obvious damage caused so all being well I'll get the darned thing to work something like later.

Tbh, with all the hassle I'm having, I could easily not bother......

Tbh, with all the hassle I'm having, I could easily not bother......

But you wont not bother... it'll bug you until you do it, and you know it :LOL:

I've gone semi-simple for mine... matchbox with a few bits of tape and whatnot... Might have to wait to develop it until I've got another colour film, get the most use out of the chems.

But you wont not bother... it'll bug you until you do it, and you know it :LOL:

Trying to refrain from entering these challenges is like trying to avoid GAS.....Totally unavoidable without being nagged at by "those little voices" lol

Film loaded, camera set up on tripod, suitable rainwear sorted for both us and the camera!!

Quick sarnie and we're off.......

Been out in the bouncing rain.

6 frames taken with the WPC Holga, the shortest exposure being 56 seconds, the rest been on average 3 mins.

Absolutely no creativity incorporated into the composures etc, in fact the camera wasn't even facing in the right direction for one shot ...moved it half way through exposure so could be an interesting ( or naff!) shot in itself.

Time for a warming cup o' tea, dry off, then pass half hour deving what will no doubt be the worst input into "Worldwide Pinhole Day 28th April 2013"
:D

Devd!...got 6 results albiet a bit "hot" in the highlights by the looks of things.

Hopefully get scanned and posted tomorrow.

Anyone else managed to get out pinholing today??

Devd!...got 6 results albiet a bit "hot" in the highlights by the looks of things.

Hopefully get scanned and posted tomorrow.

Anyone else managed to get out pinholing today??

I've been pinholing but results won't be ready til later in the week.

Don't forget to post your results on the WPPD website as well.

I'm just back from doing mine... I'm expecting less hit and more miss than usual.
Gonna dev it shortly, once I've had acup of tea

results won't be ready til later in the week.

Slacker! :D.... what else could you possibly have to do on a sunday evening but dev!:D :D

Don't forget to post your results on the WPPD website as well.

Will do.....if only to show myself up:D

I'm just back from doing mine... I'm expecting less hit and more miss than usual.

Yes it's those darned elephants and other zoo animals that make the whole event "hit and miss" :D

Gonna dev it shortly, once I've had acup of tea

Cool.....good to see someone else is keen, unlike Mr Smurf ( oops Surf :D) above.:D :D
:D

Well done guys at getting out there.....makes me feel the effort was worthwhile(y)

Well, from a brief look at the negatives, I'd say the exposure times were rather too long... still, we'll see what we can get from it.

Just posted two up....

The tram passed through on No1 ( there is a diagnol line showing center/left .....unfortuanetly it went past early on in the exposure hence it's pretty much dissapeared out of the shot.

Similar effect in No2 as there were quite a few people passed through with brollies but no sign in the shot.

Sot on Fomapan, Devd in Rodinal.

I'll have a couple more to show soon...

Last edited:
Well... mine are without fail... rubbish, overexposed, too dark to scan... and the entire film has a red tint, I assume from the devving process not being done properly, though I'm sure I did as I was supposed to.

Well... mine are without fail... rubbish, overexposed, too dark to scan... and the entire film has a red tint, I assume from the devving process not being done properly, though I'm sure I did as I was supposed to.

Is there nothing at all you can salvage??

As for the red tinge....C-41 process was it ?? Temperature variation whilst deving but can be corrected in PP

Another two to show what a thoroughly miserable wet day it was ( and continues to be for the next couple of days according to the forecast) down here.

Never mind the sun will soon be back! lol

The last one , No 5 is what happens when you change composure half way through a 3 minute exposure and then get cars stuck at traffic lights smack in front of the camera.

All in all was a cool hour or so out albiet a very wet one ...all the credit goes to my devoted brolly holder...the Mrs!

Is there nothing at all you can salvage??

As for the red tinge....C-41 process was it ?? Temperature variation whilst deving but can be corrected in PP

I'll continue scanning after my night shifts, but they look awful tbh.

C-41 Tetenal kit, I had a mare of a time with the temps this time.

Back