Worried about my Ebay purchase!

Where do I click to open a dispute in Paypal? I have already done it in ebay, but I think they prefer you to sort it out with the seller.
By the way the seller has now emailed me his address

DONT talk to the Seller- unless instructed by PayPal

DONT send the goods back - unless instructed by PayPal

is that clear enough ?..............:bang:

read what alan and louise say !!

the very worst will be, you have the camera - stick a screen in, and use it !

Is all this really worth the hassle - v just buying a screen and getting it fitted?

Guys you are all so helpful on here and really do appreciate yoy tasking the time to read my problem(y)

Where do I click to open a dispute in Paypal? I have already done it in ebay, but I think they prefer you to sort it out with the seller.

By the way the seller has now emailed me his address

Ignore the address the seller has given you. If you send it off without using the system paypal have in place then you may end up without a camera and without your cash, even if the seller is honest.. it's just not worth the hassle!

To open a dispute, forst log into paypal, then under 'my account' click 'resolution centre' and then under 'report a problem' click on 'dispute a transaction' and you're away!

Just forget emailing the seller and waiting to hear back, forget the address he's given you, forget that he wants you to send it back. Just do it all through paypal and once he agrees there to refund you then paypal will give you all the information you need.

Now get on it and doooo it now now now!

Is all this really worth the hassle - v just buying a screen and getting it fitted?

Said the same thing myself a few pages back, if its all ok apart from the screen it would still be a decent buy

That said like most things its about confidence in your equipment and goes a long way to getting the results you want in any hobby/sport

Ignore the address the seller has given you. If you send it off without using the system paypal have in place then you may end up without a camera and without your cash, even if the seller is honest.. it's just not worth the hassle!

To open a dispute, forst log into paypal, then under 'my account' click 'resolution centre' and then under 'report a problem' click on 'dispute a transaction' and you're away!

Just forget emailing the seller and waiting to hear back, forget the address he's given you, forget that he wants you to send it back. Just do it all through paypal and once he agrees there to refund you then paypal will give you all the information you need.

:agree:

NOW JUST DO AS YOUR TOLD​

Louise I have followed your advice and opened a dispute in Paypal.

It says i can escalate it to a claim. Should I do this or should I wait for the seller to make contact through the resolution centre first?

Once again many thanks with all this:)

Louise I have followed your advice and opened a dispute in Paypal.

It says i can escalate it to a claim. Should I do this or should I wait for the seller to make contact through the resolution centre first?

Once again many thanks with all this:)

Ooh that's right I remember noooowww! Basically this dispute lark allows you and the seller to conversate until you are both happy with whatever outcome you agree on. Now since you've both agreed that you will get your money back, you should technically just be able to click the escalate to a claim button.
However, if the seller decides he wants to be a bad guy, then because he never had a chance to respond, paypal don't have any thing in the log to look over. Paypal ONLY look at the information in the original ebay listing, and the information given in the dispute log. Any conversation you and the seller have had outside of paypal (ie, your email correspondence or phone calls) will not be relevant.

The best thing to do will be to sit it out and give him a few days to give a response. Remember, the only thing paypal will see is what is in that dispute log.

Louise, I thought that in any claim, not dispute, Paypal ask for any E-mails that have been sent/received from the seller, then he in return would be asked for any sent/received from buyer. This has happened to me in the past, but not involved in any recently as I use it very little!

Louise, I thought that in any claim, not dispute, Paypal ask for any E-mails that have been sent/received from the seller, then he in return would be asked for any sent/received from buyer. This has happened to me in the past, but not involved in any recently as I use it very little!

Nope, as a seller of a laptop, I offered paypal enough emails from the idiot buyer which would've proved ME right and he wrong, and paypal said that they can only take the log into consideration. I suppose it's something to do with the ease of altering an email perhaps.

If enough time is given and no one's in a rush then redmonkee will have enough information to get his refund. He'll get it anyway but by not giving the seller the time to respond will only make things harder and since this whole situation could be either a massive scam or an honest mistake, it's just better to allow time for a response. :)

MASSIVE link.. but.. read!
https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/m...ers and Sellers - Buyer Protection Programmes

That is just in my experience.. If the buyer and seller cannot come to an agreement, it may be THEN that paypal step in and ask for email proof, but even if that is to be the case, redmonkee has his emails .. gahh even I am getting confuddled now!

Last edited:
Why not just go and buy a screen for less than £30 - sorry I think this is getting ridiculous!
You are putting yourself (and TP readers) through more hassle than this transaction is worth!

If the screen is missing though, how does he know there's nothing else wrong that will cost a lot more to rectify? In the same situation I would be returning the camera as well.

Why not just go and buy a screen for less than £30 - sorry I think this is getting ridiculous!
You are putting yourself (and TP readers) through more hassle than this transaction is worth!

Sorry Andrew but I think you are a little out of order there. people are reading this post of their own free will and I am very grateful for their help. If you don't want to read then please be my guest and leave this thread.

If the screen is missing though, how does he know there's nothing else wrong that will cost a lot more to rectify? In the same situation I would be returning the camera as well.

Thank you Carol (y) that is precisely why I am returning the camera. the lack of a screen could be the first of many problems with the camera....who knows, it's not like the seller has been particularly honest

Digital Depot have a 1D MkIII for £1499. Very good company to deal with and Stuart is also a TP member.

Anyway he has agreed to refund me, even though he says he has an account with Calumet and that if I wanted I could drop it into one of their stores for a full service:thinking:

:bang:
I think I would get canon to look at it and see if the seller would pay for it or even pay something towards it.The going rate for these cams is about £1500 and even with a service you would be paying less than that.I was going to have a bid on that camera but I sent a question regarding the serial number but got no reply so I never bothered bidding.What is the serial number by the way?

I think I would get canon to look at it and see if the seller would pay for it or even pay something towards it.The going rate for these cams is about £1500 and even with a service you would be paying less than that.I was going to have a bid on that camera but I sent a question regarding the serial number but got no reply so I never bothered bidding.What is the serial number by the way?

Hi Mall the serial number is 547282 so it's not a model affected by the mirror problem thingy. If you want you can buy it off me for what i paid i'll even chuck in free postage:LOL:

Hi Mall the serial number is 547282 so it's not a model affected by the mirror problem thingy. If you want you can buy it off me for what i paid i'll even chuck in free postage:LOL:
That camera is a lot older than the seller sugested that number is just ouside of the affected ones, I got a new one in july 2008 and the serial was 570888

Just an update.....

After opening the dispute last week. The seller finally confirmed he is happy to refund me the full amount. So I posted the camera back today at a cost of £24 (next day insured to £2400) bit annoyed at the price but hey as long as I get the original £1280 back on my card i'll be happy.

Anyway just been on Park Cameras and ordered a 1D mark III. Just arrived in stock. Excellent throughout, boxed with all accessories. 56+++ serial number. WITH FOCUSSING SCREEN:LOL: for £1559

Happy days:bonk:

Just an update.....

After opening the dispute last week. The seller finally confirmed he is happy to refund me the full amount. So I posted the camera back today at a cost of £24 (next day insured to £2400) bit annoyed at the price but hey as long as I get the original £1280 back on my card i'll be happy.

Anyway just been on Park Cameras and ordered a 1D mark III. Just arrived in stock. Excellent throughout, boxed with all accessories. 56+++ serial number. WITH FOCUSSING SCREEN:LOL: for £1559

Happy days:bonk:
And you will get a warranty with it.(y)

Really pleased for you mate (y)

Will you not get the postage back as well, anyway things are looking up and can't wait to see some shots (y)

As the old saying goes - "the best things come to those who wait" :rules:

Not that that helps you thou... Best bet is to wait till you have the monies back then go down that road of finding that "special" camera that your after ;)

But then if your like me who can't wait.... Get your butt searching for the ideal deal.....(y)

Does anyone know what happens if the seller does not give me a refund.

In the Ebay dispute centre it says the seller must refund me within 3 days of receiving the returned item. Well he received it yesterday so i will be expecting my refund by Friday.

What if he doesn't do the refund? where do I stand then?

Aren't the funds on a tempory-hold.. Once the 3days are up ebay/paypal will refund or release the funds back into your account..

If your unsure (which it seems that you are) then contact Ebay or Paypaland ask them... As then you will get the answer to your question from the horses mouth...

As above,

Just phoned Ebay.

They advised me to contact the seller by email and give them 24 hours to respond. I have done this as well as left a message on their answer phone.

Ebay basically said that Paypal will hold the funds until I receive the camera and leave positive feedback. So I have told the seller that this will only sort itself out once I receive the item and am happy with it.

Ebay said if they don't respond to my email that I should open an official dispute with them, this is something I am trying my best to avoid as I really do want this camera.

Can I just now say that all those people who think I am over parranoid and an unreasonable Ebayer I think you were a little out of order:thumbsdown:

p.s thanks to all you guys that have helped me so far with this. It's your advice that made me phone Ebay. I swear all I have thought about over the last couple of weeks has been this transaction.

By the way for those of you who haven't used Ebay, this is NOT the norm, and I wholeheartedly recommend people to use their site (y)

Thought you had.... They WONT release if your NOT happy, which you aren't..

So afraid to say that you will have to wait till Friday - being the 3 days.. I know its horrible but that is "the way the cookie crumble's" as so to speak...

Contact Ebay/Paypal after the time is up & thats contact them by PHONE....

I've not posted yet, but felt I needed to say....

well done, we can all breathe a sigh of relief now!!! (y)

Back