Worried about my Ebay purchase!

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
As some of you might be aware, I won an auction for a 1D Mark III.

Now I won the auction on Good Friday. At the time I was waiting for Paypal to send deposits to my bank account so that I could confirm my bank as the primary funding for paypal.

Knowing this would take a few days due to the Bank holiday I emailed the seller to tell him I would be a little late paying for the item.

I dropped him a couple of emails over the weekend to keep him informed of the progress. I also sent him an email asking for the serial number so I could check if the service had been done on the AF thingy.

Today I have confirmed my paypal and am now just waiting for some money to transfer to my account so that I can pay for the item.

My problem is.....he has yet to respond to any of my emails and to be honest I'm a little worried about paying over £1000 for the item when I am yet to hear from him.

Am I just being over paranoid? It's just when I sell an item I always try my best to contact the buyer to say well done etc so that I keep good communications. By the way the guy has 46 100% feedback but only 2 of those as a seller!

He may be away, but if I were you I would send another e mail saying you are not sending the money until he responds to this e mail as a security thing and to make sure you have the correct pay pal account.

Good luck.

IMO, and from the sellers point of view...
you win an expensive item.
you then say 'hang on, can't pay at the moment, need to wait for paypal'.
seller probably things "great, I've picked a good 'un here".
Still without paying, and after you have won the item you ask more questions about said item (one of my bug bears as a seller... ASK BEFORE YOU BUY :D ;)

Anyway, should this guy be dodgy and you don't receive it you'll be able to get your money back through Paypal. the seller would be stupid to send in anything other than RMSD. IMO.

IMO, and from the sellers point of view...
you win an expensive item.
you then say 'hang on, can't pay at the moment, need to wait for paypal'.
seller probably things "great, I've picked a good 'un here".
Still without paying, and after you have won the item you ask more questions about said item (one of my bug bears as a seller... ASK BEFORE YOU BUY :D ;)

Anyway, should this guy be dodgy and you don't receive it you'll be able to get your money back through Paypal. the seller would be stupid to send in anything other than RMSD. IMO.

I see what you are saying Gav but the only reason i've kept emailing him is to show I am a genuine ebayer and do intend to pay for the item.

I would have asked the question first but when I saw the auction it only had 2 hours left so I made the bid and left it at that.

He may be away, but if I were you I would send another e mail saying you are not sending the money until he responds to this e mail as a security thing and to make sure you have the correct pay pal account.

Good luck.

Hi Nicki

I have sent an email saying I am a little worried by his lack of response seeing it is such an expensive item. I do hope he gets in touch.

I see what you are saying Gav but the only reason i've kept emailing him is to show I am a genuine ebayer and do intend to pay for the item.

I would have asked the question first but when I saw the auction it only had 2 hours left so I made the bid and left it at that.
if he has stated that the AF service thingy had been done, and you subsequently find it hasn't (via the serial number), you also are covered under both the distance selling regulations, and the ebay buyer protection.

I sold an expensive item ( a roof for a car) for £1100 on ebay, the guy paid, I posted (to spain although his account was English), he then 'claimed his money back, and re-advertised the roof on a global forum :bang:
In this instance I proved he had received it and got the claim cancelled.

Where I was going with that, was that I'm now really careful... and that this seller is probably just as concerned, remember text/emails do not always get read as intended... the seller 'might' just think you're stringing him along?

If you're really worried, you can get his phone number from the 'request contact details' in your my ebay buyer screen. (y)

He may be away

+1. Not everyone can monitor their email 24hrs a day and respond within 2 mins. Besides, it's easter weekend! He might not even be in the country.
If he wanted to scam you he'd be all over you like a rash.

As said previously, the guy may well be away.

If he has plenty of feedback, I wouldnt worry. Low feedback + expensive items = avoid like the plague would be my advice on EBay.

I would wait for him to respond.

But surely if it was you selling an item of that expense you would be keeping tabs on it to see what it was being sold for?

Best thing be patient and see if you ever get a reply.

I've been on both sides of the fence on this. I have sold an item where the buyer had issues with getting the funds accross due to having to get his account authenticated. As he kept me informed I wasn't concerned by the delay.

It annoys me when people don't respond to my initial emails, especially with expensive items.

However, generally the item has just turned up after payment with no communication or there has been a reason for the delay. Personally I would not have treated a buyer this way but not everyone has the same attitude.

You probably just need to be patient for a few days. After that I would try and get hold of a contact number to call them.

I was watching that same camera on my ebay 18month old, so I requested the serial number and got no reply and there was 4 days to go.

Are you serious:(

Did you put a bid in?

This is starting to worry me now
No I never bid,I got my last one new in june 2008 and it was a good one so I wanted a serial number some where near the same or higher, he also claimed a very low shutter count but thats just his word as there is no way of telling without it going to canon. Im sure you will be ok.

No I never bid,I got my last one new in june 2008 and it was a good one so I wanted a serial number some where near the same or higher, he also claimed a very low shutter count but thats just his word as there is no way of telling without it going to canon. Im sure you will be ok.

I really hope it is me being over paranoid. I understand not everyone can read their emails everyday but if you are selling an item at that much money, you would want to see if you have been paid so that you could ship it out. This would at the very least involve logging into paypal, so why not check email while he's there.

I think i'm worried as I thought I had a really good deal with this camera, and I doubt i'll get another at that price if this turns out to be a bit dodgy

Personally all my Ebay transactions are funded by my credit card .. never by my bank account. For one its a lot safer that way as you can always ask your card issuer to jump in should Paypal get difficult and secondly if you pay via bank account (Echeque) it can take up to 2 weeks (even though Paypal say 5 days) before it hits the sellers account.

As fo calling off the transaction .. if you are not happy then just dont pay .. end of story, its not like the seller can give a negative anymore (probably the worst idea Ebay ever came up with).

As fo calling off the transaction .. if you are not happy then just dont pay .. end of story, its not like the seller can give a negative anymore (probably the worst idea Ebay ever came up with).

What happens to the buyer then if he doesn't pay? Do Ebay issue a strike against him or something?

Personally all my Ebay transactions are funded by my credit card .. never by my bank account. For one its a lot safer that way as you can always ask your card issuer to jump in should Paypal get difficult and secondly if you pay via bank account (Echeque) it can take up to 2 weeks (even though Paypal say 5 days) before it hits the sellers account.

What happens to the buyer then if he doesn't pay? Do Ebay issue a strike against him or something?

You can get -ve FB if the item has been purchased even if the transaction has been cancelled by both parties... I cancelled a sale on their & althou sold the item to an other seller I received FB from the one I cancelled it with... It was +ve FB but -ve can still be made after 7days...

are you an experienced ebayer.. do you know what to lok out for? ..if you can show us the sale we might be able to offer more advice..

I know but how long can I leave it before I have to pay? Is there a way of calling off a transaction if I feel it is not a good idea to pay?

If you getting yourself in a realparanoid state, then phone Ebay support - they are really helpful & quite understanding... Mine was - might hav been that he had the same name as me :shrug:..

But contact them and put your mind at ease.....

Think you mis-read... the buyer cannot receive -ve FB (sadly).

even after 7 days? Like I mentioned I got +FB on a cancelled sale.. so surely if FB can be left for that then -ve can as well...

as a seller you can only (sadly) leave positive feedback, or nothing :(

Sincere apologies - your right as I just realised (whilst washing up) .... :muted:
going back to finish off the housework...:exit:

are you an experienced ebayer.. do you know what to lok out for? ..if you can show us the sale we might be able to offer more advice..

Hi Kipax

Yes I'm an experienced ebayer, both as a buyer and a seller. This is why I am worried as I am used to a little more contact with the other party when dealing with an auction.

Hi Kipax

Yes I'm an experienced ebayer, both as a buyer and a seller. This is why I am worried as I am used to a little more contact with the other party when dealing with an auction.
I think you, like me, can just be too trusting/open/communicative when on ebay.
not everyone is the same, and I've had some truly shocking experiences.

it's not worth reporting yet IMO, but if you're concerned, get their phone number through the contact details request and give the seller a call :)

Hi Kipax

I agree, I also ways let then know once payments made of when I'll be posting it & when it has been I follow "mark as despatched" with an email stating that it has as well..... Politeness doesn't cost anything nor does an email... :bonk:

I think you, like me, can just be too trusting/open/communicative when on ebay.
not everyone is the same, and I've had some truly shocking experiences.

it's not worth reporting yet IMO, but if you're concerned, get their phone number through the contact details request and give the seller a call :)

How long would you leave it before reporting...a week?

I didn't know there was a way of getting the contact details of the seller, thats good to know

Quite honestly it's a no brain-er to me, if your in that much doubt don't pay, if it were a small item for a few quid i may take the chance, but for such a large amount of money i'd be out ;)

I would recommend waiting a little bit more, and seeing if he replies before payment. It does sound a bit dodgy, since if I was to sell such an expensive piece of kit, it would be in my best interest to keep good comms. As someone suggested though - you might want to get his phone number.

All the best!
Bart

Quite honestly it's a no brain-er to me, if your in that much doubt don't pay, if it were a small item for a few quid i may take the chance, but for such a large amount of money i'd be out ;)

That's what my head is telling me, even if my heart is wanting me to pursue the transaction:thinking:

If I decide to pull the plug would I need to contact Ebay and let them know of my concerns?

Also how do I get the seller's contact details?

Last edited:
You don't need to transfer money into your paypal account before you pay, if you pay itle use any funds in your account then take the rest from the source that you tell it without delay.

Use a credit card if possible and then if you do decide to pay and receive nothing then you can give paypal the opportunity to get the money back for you and if they dont you can get it back directly from your credit card company.

Has the seller got much history, perhaps you could contact someone that has previously brought items from him and get a contact number if one isnt showing to check that his account isnt being used by someone else?

I don't think you're giving the guy a chance - you were the one who looked dodgy after the sale by not paying and making excuses. He may well be away now - I'd wait another 24 hours and the phone him!

I don't think you're giving the guy a chance - you were the one who looked dodgy after the sale by not paying and making excuses. He may well be away now - I'd wait another 24 hours and the phone him!

I don't see how I look dodgy. I emailed him the same day I won the auction. The reason i couldn't pay straight away is because I cancelled the paypal direct debit by mistake and needed to set it back up again.

Anyway I have had people wait a week before paying for an item without even sending an email to explain why.

At least I have assured him I am paying as soon as I have the funds cleared.

Anyway I have just sent him a text so I'll se if he replies to that....something is telling me he is going to ignore me, hope I go away then re list it on ebay hoping he'll get more than I won it for

Last edited:
Back