Would a pick-pocket bother to put BACK your wallet?

kennysarmy

Yeah but can your army do this?
Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
A lovely 2 night 3 day staff in London was marred by the theft of all the notes in my wallet...

What I cannot work out is how anyone did it!

I last used my wallet at Spitalfields Market at around midday on Sunday, using £10 to purchase a bottle of water.

The wallet was then placed inside my jacket breast zipped pocket where it remained until later that evening when I took it out to leave a tip for our evening meal, my Mrs paid with a card. The jacket was over my chair during the meal but the restaurant was nt busy. I cannot say 100% that the money had nt already been taken, but I think in going in to the coin compartment for the tip I would have noticed the wallet being without notes.

Earlier we had been on the London Eye and again I had nt removed my jacket.

I did however remove it for the 4d experience prior to the London Eye ride.
I removed the jacket as the room in which we had the "short show" was very warm, but when I noticed it was likely we were going to get splashed etc during the show I put the jacket back on, but backwards just to protect my shirt - it's feasible someone behind took out the wallet, removed the money and then put back the wallet - but unlikely given the layout of the room - ie you lean against a metal rail and those behind you are several feet above you so anyone doing the theft would have had to be leaning right down.

Back at the Premiere Inn my wallet stayed inside my jacket hung up in the room until Monday morning when I took it down with me to breakfast along with my mobile phone, carrying them together.

It was not until around midday when after queuing for entry to the National History Museum did I get my wallet out to buy a guidebook did I notice all the notes had GONE!

Curiously on our first morning at the Premiere Inn we took all four card-keys down to breakfast and when we returned to our room, noticed we only had three. My Mrs went down to speak to the woman seating everyone and she said "It's gone...." to which we assumed she meant it's been handed in to reception. But reception had not had it handed in. We decided with reception not to ask for a 4th card as we really only needed two. In hindsight we should have returned all the key cards we had and asked for them to be re-programmed.

But do you really think someone could have come in to our room in the middle of the night and removed the cash from my wallet, leaving the debit and credit card?

I've since cancelled the cards just in case!

I just don't have any other explanation as to how the cash went but not the whole wallet or cards? It's as if by just taking the cash they hoped I would nt notice until we were away from the scene of the crime...

I just don't know, I've been going over and over in my head if I paid for anything else after the water, if my jacket or wallet was left unattended anywhere, but it was nt....

Do you trust your wife? :)

Thiefs get challenged as a occupational hazard. They do not like having anything with them that can be easily traced back to a victim. As a result they will often leave wallets and bags behind. I have seen cctv where by a theif sits beside a victim trying on a pair of shoes (female), he picked up her handbag, rifled through it, took what he wanted, replaced everything else and put it down again before leaving the shop. Calm as you like.

coats/bags on the back of chairs are easy targets.

I done like the sound of your hotel room security though and I would recomend a letter to the manager, making sure a copy goes to manager of security at head office. You may have been one of many.

I hope this does not put you of visiting London in future,

Dave

From firsthand experience - yes they do!

I had taken off my jacket and put it on the back of my chair with my wallet in while chatting in a restaurant with 3 of my colleagues. Once we left an hour or so later one of us went to buy something and noticed all his notes had gone. I checked my wallet and I was the same - 3 out of 4 of us had all our money taken.
This was during a business trip to Germany.
They only took the Euro notes and left the UK sterling and our credit cards and put the wallet back !
I'm still amazed as to how they got away with it :bonk:

You've largely answered your own questions. Taking the money - which is generally unidentifiable - and leaving everything else involves less risk for the thief, and often confuses the owner. If there's a fair sum in the wallet, the thief might only take some of the money, hoping you'll just assume that you must have spent it.

I still don't understand why wallets are kept in jacket pockets. You will take off your jacket in numerous places and it sits on the edge of your personal space, an easy target when you are engrossed in something else.

My wallet stays in my front pocket, if I'm sat down then only Houdini would be able to pick it. If I'm stood up then I'm very aware of people in my personal space.

If you need to wear smart trousers and a wallet will give an untidy bulge then transfer your cash/ cards to a slim card wallet. This does not look so unsightly in a front pocket.

London is a great place, don't let this put you off. Just be aware of personal security as in most tourist places there are pro pickers at work.

I still don't understand why wallets are kept in jacket pockets.

Ive always thought this. Mine is always in my back pocket, not quite as safe as the front but so far so good. I am always reflexively checking its still there as well. If i was somewhere I thought I might be in danger of being pick-pocketed Id possibly switch it to the front. But more likely just take notes and one card and leave wallet in hotel safe.

Ive always thought this. Mine is always in my back pocket, not quite as safe as the front but so far so good. I am always reflexively checking its still there as well. If i was somewhere I thought I might be in danger of being pick-pocketed Id possibly switch it to the front. But more likely just take notes and one card and leave wallet in hotel safe.

The danger of constantly checking your wallet is that's one of the signs pickpockets look for after all you never check an empty pocket.

I am not sure the hotel could be considered safe, but in hindsight I wish I had ditched the wallet and just kept cards and cash in front trouser pockets....

I am not sure the hotel could be considered safe, but in hindsight I wish I had ditched the wallet and just kept cards and cash in front trouser pockets....

I meant in the hotel safe in the room if it had one, but yes, still a judgement call on that.

I remember one prgramme saying that pick pockets would stand next to the 'keep your valuables safe' signs and observe which pockets people walking past would check, telling the pick pocket where the valuables were kept. Sneaky buggers...

Back