Would have made a good painting?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Great Hall, Dunnottar Castle near Stonehaven...

normal_IMG_4714-01.jpg

The bigger picture...

normal_IMG_4709-01.jpg

and the ceiling...

normal_IMG_4716-01.jpg

The castle...

IMG_4585-01.jpg

#3 and #4 are great, not so keen on the first 2,

I like 1 3 and 4 !

Number 2 erm, ill see if i can put the feeling into words, it seems empty/without feeling ? does that make sense ! Its a good picture, but it doesnt grab me by the throat and say look at me ! No.4 does that in bucketloads, i want to know where that path goes ? etc

Sorry am no professional, and feel awkward critiquing others works, specially as i feel most of mine are more luck than judgement if they come out ok !!

IanC_UK said:
Its a good picture, but it doesnt grab me by the throat and say look at me !

I can see where your'e coming from and thanks for being open!
It was just a great room to stand in and I maybe get a little more out of it having been there but standing back from it I see what you mean.

In fact the more I look at it, its a pretty boring shot :icon_eek:

the 3rd is very good, lines that lead you in, a pattern, it just keeps you looking(or me anyway)

the castle shot is nice as its a view that i dont see!

Bachs said:
I can see where your'e coming from and thanks for being open!
It was just a great room to stand in and I maybe get a little more out of it having been there but standing back from it I see what you mean.

In fact the more I look at it, its a pretty boring shot :icon_eek:

:D

I think all of these shots would benefit from some post processing and a little more contrast. The second one is slightly off level which is a bit unsettling for the viewer. They're far from bad shots though Bachs. If you're after serious critique you'd do better to post in that forum although we do ask you to post just one pic at a time in there so that people can give a proper considered critique.

Edit

Quick play trying to make more of the play of light and shadows in the room. The level is actuallyOK it's the distorted angle of the foreground table legs. Wide angle lenses play havoc with verticals. :icon_eek:

normal_IMG_4709_01.jpg

Thats great thanks.
As soon as I pluck up courage I'll post some in the appropriate forum :icon_eek:

The first shot just doesn’t have a main focal point, is it the chair, the table or the logs? If you are going for the full scene then if there is no main focal point there has to be another catch or stimulant to make the picture work, atmosphere or memory provocation maybe? I would try converting this shot to black and white to emphasis the age of the room and its contents. Age the picture to make it match the subject?

The second shot is suffering from the same issues as the first but has the added problem of a lot of open, uninteresting space on the right. A simple crop could be applied here to help but it’s always better to think about the framing while at the location. I usually walk around a subject and look at it from many angles before taking any photos.

The third is a nice detail shot of the ceiling which wouldn’t look out of place in a brochure or on a tourist information website for the castle. As a picture on its own it doesn’t have any hook or catch to keep the viewers attention but if used in the context described above it would certainly work. Its good to see that you have managed to keep the framing symmetrical, that’s a common mistake which you have avoided here.

Many thanks Steve and Sebberi :)

I agree with the comments on the composition.
I had only just got the 350 after using the A95 and was keen to try out it's extra light capturing capabilities.
The actual scene was considerably darker than the shots.
The novelty is wearing off now and I'm endeavouring to create what I actually saw.

Back