Would you keep this "new" Canon 70-200mm F4 L IS USM ?

I did Lakes Puma, thanks. In the middle of emailing CEO of Dixons John Browett so haven't had the chance to reply to you.

Thanks to www.ceomail.com his email address is john.browett@dixons.co.uk and I would urge anyone else with dodgy lenses delivered to do the same. Not sure a combined group effort would add anything?

Keep it polite and to the point and focus on the outcome you want. I want a new lens for £752 as they agreed :) I also referenced this thread and expressed my concern that it appeared to be a systematic scheme by some on the online group to offload used stock as new.

I don't think a refund should be a problem and Trading Standards is another option (certainly for getting their knuckles rapped) but neither will (likely) get me a new lens!

I would have taken it back the same day, you paid for new and it clearly is not, as there are parts missing and an opened box.

Price is irrelevant, sales of goods act kicks in here, either get a total refund or a BRAND NEW replacement.

Sounds like there ones that should have gone to there clerance wharehouse store. One of which is in chester retail park. When I looked they where over priced there for there condition.

Needless to say I've not had any response at all from Dixons.

That's after an email to "Customer Service", a letter to Head Office on Monday and an email to the boss on Wednesday.

Our company used to do contract repairs to DSG and I really should know better. ;)

I got confirmation last night at 19:30 that they had received my returned lens (picked up Tuesday). I have had no other communication. I emailed customer services again today to remind them why the lens was returned and to insist that a new, sealed lens is returned.

There will be some influential Dixons people looking in at this thread - people who would have no self interest in flouting the law or allowing it to happen systematically on their watch. They would have no "plausible deniability" defence! Give it time for Dixons to put this right and to do the right thing. I have every confidence that they will!

I have just received a reply from my email to John Browett and have been assured that a member of the Customer Action Team will be contacting me in the next 48-72 hrs to discuss the matter I raised on behalf of Dixons Retail Executives.

It would not be appropriate for me to give a blow by blow account of these deliberations and I won't, but I will report back the outcome which I have every expectation will be a positive one.

Answers quite simple if you paid by credit card, claim your money back, use the lens until they arrange collection (I bet they wont bother)

I have just received a reply from my email to John Browett and have been assured that a member of the Customer Action Team will be contacting me in the next 48-72 hrs to discuss the matter I raised on behalf of Dixons Retail Executives.

Just got a similar/same email.

That will be the same KnowHow Team that first told me "the seal to the packaging should have been damaged by our courier's"

I'll update when I hear more.

Answers quite simple if you paid by credit card, claim your money back, use the lens until they arrange collection (I bet they wont bother)

With respect, I bet they would and I would then be left with no lens. Besides, why would I want a used lens when I paid for a new one? I have no right to keep the old lens for free and Dixons are quite efficient at collection. Rights cut both ways.

No, the answer is even simpler - I paid for a new lens and Dixons will send me a new lens. A refund or claiming money back is not in doubt - but neither option would get me the new lens at £752 as agreed.

SussexBlue that link is to the non IS version the IS version (the one we have bought) is £771 on that site before tax and shipping, so you see £752 was/is quite a bargain for a 'new' lens

Aah apologies, not to familiar with Canon, hope you get sorted quickly anyway as this sort of thing is no good to you and esp to Canon as these comments get pulled up by google for a very long time and can do untold damage to their reputation, so you would think that it's on their own interest to sort it out with some haste.

Got a call from a lady today.

Lens will be collected Monday and as soon as they have it back a "new" one will be sent.

Nice that by Tuesday Dixons will have both the lens and my money.

Got a call from a lady today.

Lens will be collected Monday and as soon as they have it back a "new" one will be sent.

Nice that by Tuesday Dixons will have both the lens and my money.

Which is just the way it was when you first pressed the order button lol. Hang in there Pat!

Just noticed this thread. I too bought this lens from Dixons at the price of £751.99. Received a battered and dusty box with no security seal on at all. Lens looked in new condition but emailed customer services anyway to complain and ended up speaking to their 'Knowhow' team last Friday. Mine's being picked up Monday as well with a 'new' replacement on its way once they've checked this one over.

Oh, and for what it's worth the date code on mine is UX0307 which I believe means it was made in March 2009.

Just noticed this thread. I too bought this lens from Dixons at the price of £751.99. Received a battered and dusty box with no security seal on at all. Lens looked in new condition but emailed customer services anyway to complain and ended up speaking to their 'Knowhow' team last Friday. Mine's being picked up Monday as well with a 'new' replacement on its way once they've checked this one over.

Dixons really have made a monumental balls-up with this deal lol. How many times has "old" stock like this been sent out under this deal? Has anybody got brand new sealed lens? (first time round at least). I suspect the cut-price deal and the state of the stock are not unrelated...

But corporate governance will kick in now that the CEO has been informed and challenged about apparent systematic illegal practice happening under his watch and someone will pay a heavy price for their stupidity, careless or otherwise.

Pat, did they pick your lens up today? No show from DHL at my house. Another call made to the 'Knowhow' team who could offer no explanation but rescheduled pick-up for tomorrow. Worrying bit is the woman I spoke to thought they were repairing the lens then returning it back to me. Put her right in no uncertain terms but I do have the feeling all this is in the lap of the gods with the level of incompetence Dixons are showing.

I've decided to cut my losses and keep the lens I have, it seems to function as expected and shots seem OK.

Way I figure is better the devil you know I may end up with one in a worse condition.

Sample image
IMG_3077.JPG

Pat, did they pick your lens up today? No show from DHL at my house. Another call made to the 'Knowhow' team who could offer no explanation but rescheduled pick-up for tomorrow. Worrying bit is the woman I spoke to thought they were repairing the lens then returning it back to me. Put her right in no uncertain terms but I do have the feeling all this is in the lap of the gods with the level of incompetence Dixons are showing.

They're consistant, I'll give them that lol! I had a no-show first time and when I spoke to the chap at Know-How he confirmed that a pickup had been scheduled online. He said it would be better booked directly with the courier over the phone and he phoned me back to confirm a pickup the next day, which it was.

Got a couple of automated type emails since but no new lens yet and no delivery date...

Pat, did they pick your lens up today?

Yes, mine got picked up Monday lunch time.

Now just have to see what they send back.
Web site lets me order 1, wonder if that's the 1 I just sent back!

It really is quite astounding though that after sending a letter & email to head office pointing out their "illegal practice" they then pass this to a "team" to put right who have already demonstrated their incompetence.

Last edited:
Another day and another no show from the courier :bang:. I have now contacted Trading Standards outlining whats happened and forwarded the message to the Dixons CEO email address.

ask if you can swap at a local Currys as many had them as well and I know in the NE still do, all UX codes but the ones I checked were fine.

Another day and another no show from the courier :bang:. I have now contacted Trading Standards outlining whats happened and forwarded the message to the Dixons CEO email address.

Tim, what address did you use for Trading Standards? Is there a central office that should be used for online issues like this do you know or did you just use your local office?

When you get a reply, maybe you could ask them, if they can offer a single point of contact for the rest of us to submit our grievances/evidence to on this issue? (no point in duplicating or diluting their efforts). Thanks.

I got an email that my replacement was shipped yesterday. Fingers crossed...

When you get a reply, maybe you could ask them, if they can offer a single point of contact for the rest of us to submit our grievances/evidence to on this issue? (no point in duplicating or diluting their efforts). Thanks.

That would be a good idea to let them see that this is not an isolated case.

Let's be honest, letters to head office and emails to the CEO seem a waste of time as they just pass it to another department.

I guess you either use your own local office or contact the office where DSG have their head office?

I got an email that my replacement was shipped yesterday. Fingers crossed...

That will be the one they showed in stock yesterday.

Now showing no stock and they got mine back yesterday.

Let's be honest, letters to head office and emails to the CEO seem a waste of time as they just pass it to another department.

I understand (and share) your frustration Pat but it is too early to say that letters/emails are a waste of time. Of course the CEO has to pass the issue on to another department - you can't expect him to go down to the stockroom himself do you? (he wouildn't know where to start...). But the point is the CEO has been challenged about apparent illegal practices going on in his organization and he can't ignore that. He has tasked someone to investigate, sort and report back. I have a name and contact to chase up - which I am sure you have by now as well. Both he and the CEO are answerable and accountable.

I'm not saying it will be all sorted by tomorrow or at the first attempt, but it will be sorted if you have the patience. The law couldn't be clearer on this issue.

I understand (and share) your frustration Pat but it is too early to say that letters/emails are a waste of time.

Not for me it seems, I've pointed out I want a "new" lens not a refund when they decide to process it.

My emails & letters have asked for a response in writing or to contact me on my mobile.

Got home today to a message on my machine saying they were "out of stock" and could only offer a refund. :(

Of course the CEO has to pass the issue on to another department - you can't expect him to go down to the stockroom himself do you? (he wouildn't know where to start...).

Why not? ;)

Seriously though I'd have expected him to give instructions and if they don't have the item to source this, for all I care they could go and buy it from Jessops. :p

But the point is the CEO has been challenged about apparent illegal practices going on in his organization and he can't ignore that. He has tasked someone to investigate, sort and report back. I have a name and contact to chase up - which I am sure you have by now as well. Both he and the CEO are answerable and accountable.

I don't have any contact details given to me and have not received any emails in response to mine.

I'm not saying it will be all sorted by tomorrow or at the first attempt, but it will be sorted if you have the patience. The law couldn't be clearer on this issue.

Patience wont do any good if they simply play the "out of stock" card.

Not an issue with Dixons but pretty close, PC world. I ordered a satnav unit last week went to collect from the store and they pulled out a slightly tatty box so as they processes the payment I opened it, It wasn't shrink wrapped which they normally are the protective screen cover was there but the tab was curled up and it looked cloudy as it it had been removed and re applied. lifted the nav out of the box saw the cables and manuals turned the unit over and no windscreen mount. Back it went.

Of to the next PC world found the correct sat nav and checked it out, everything was there but the cables etc were unwrapped and some rub markings on the front bezle so no card handed over for it. Selling none new stuff as new even happens at PC World.

Last edited:
Come to think about the niece bought a Tablet PC from PC World last week, got it home to find it had been opened and had finger marks all over the screen and would not switch on.

The oh took it back and got it changed for a new one.

Got home today to a message on my machine saying they were "out of stock" and could only offer a refund. :(

Patience wont do any good if they simply play the "out of stock" card.

This has got me worried now:(. I have just sent my lens back (finally after DHL failed to turn up twice to pick it up) and was assured that a "brand new one would be sent back". Will have to wait and see what happens I guess.

Did they give any indication on when the lens would be back in stock?

Did they give any indication on when the lens would be back in stock?

No, I have tried calling them today but honestly I'd get more sense out of my 4 month old grandson.

Irritates me like heck that companies operate 08xxx lines with completely incompitent dimwits answering the phones.

Just had a call from their customer service department. They informed me also that the lens is out of stock and can't say when it will be back in as they are reliant on their suppliers. Offered me a refund or to hang on till the lens is back in stock.
As my lens appeared in good condition with just the box being tatty and the hood missing managed to negotiate a partial refund to keep it. Seems a safer bet than returning it and means I paid less than 2nd hand on Ebay and have a years warranty.

They informed me also that the lens is out of stock and can't say when it will be back in as they are reliant on their suppliers.

For me the CEO can run down to Jessops or wherever and buy one (think it will be more than one though) using his company credit card.

Offered me a refund or to hang on till the lens is back in stock.

I'll either hang on or have to accept a refund in the end.

I will be pushing though for something more than a refund if that's where it goes as they have clearly misled me and messed me about.

They informed me also that the lens is out of stock and can't say when it will be back in as they are reliant on their suppliers.

This is very unlikely. They will always have an ETA for stock. This is discussed and determined when buying the lens into the warehouse/company at the very beginning. You cant just have stock turning up at the warehouse, it would be chaos. This is just shameful behavior by Dixons. They are just putting undue pressure on the phone hoping that the customer will except the lens as it is or get a refund.

I believe PC World were taken to court back along for selling used laptops. So this is not the first time that DSG have done this. By the way they lost the case and were fined.

Back