Would you keep this "new" Canon 70-200mm F4 L IS USM ?

After receiving a contact email address from one of the TP's on here I sent a copy of my emails to them today.

Reply received within minutes saying that the person was going on holiday but will pass to someone else to deal with.

Then got a telephone call a little later offering apologies and will check with the buyers to see when more stock is due.

I explained I'm happy to wait till we know when the new stock is coming in and the chap said he will come back to me as soon as he knows but if he has not heard by middle of next week will call me with an update.

My replacement lens was delivered yesterday. The outside packaging was in a truly dreadful state - a ripped white jiffy bag type thing wrapped in tape labelled boldly "Repacked by 7767". The Canon box wasn't just as tatty as the previous one but it was dirty and somewhat battered and the flap showed tell-tale signs of having been opened numerous times (and not very carefully) AND THERE WAS NO SEAL! The damage to the box had that grimy look i.e. that it was historical rather than caused by the (careless) couriers.

The Canon box had the sinister looking "RECALL01" label on the side that others have mentioned. The lens was packed properly this time though (ah, so that's where the lens case is supposed to go...) with each item in its own "crispy" bag. The manual had a crease from either being thumbed or carelesly packed.

There were marks on the lens front element and the hood :thumbsdown:

This was not the "new pristine sealed" lens I was assured I would get in return.

I have contacted Dixons again and await their response :bang:

They obviously haven't got a new pristine sealed lens and won't be getting any either especially at that price

If the marks are just cosmetic and it works ok, accept you have got a decent lens at a good price with 12 months warranty, plenty of time to see if its ok and should it not be off to Canon it goes

Very annoying, but no point getting worked up about it and just as pointless not having a lens to use

Alternative is get a refund, nice s/hand one here the other day for 700 quid and might still be for all I know

Last edited:
I have contacted Dixons again and await their response :bang:

That's shocking that they have tried twice to fob you off with a used/second hand/demo lens.

I explained I'm happy to wait till we know when the new stock is coming in and the chap said he will come back to me as soon as he knows

Got a call back this morning from the same person.

Has said that new stock is due in towards the end of next week and as soon as this is in they will have one sent out for me.

Since this chap got on board I actually feel a lot better and now see some hope for a good outcome.

I was disappointed to miss out on this deal but after reading this thread I'm relieved I missed out.

Shockingly bad from a major retailer.

I feel you pain . Don't hold your breath it will only get worse , trust me.

I took curry's to court several years ago and won.

I have not and will not EVER use them again . Reading this threads proves nothing has changed there customer services is still a shambles They will lie to you.

Good luck in getting it sorted.

Just to keep you all in the loop. I have received a reply from my enquiry to the government department 'Consumer Direct'. They have forwarded my complaint on to Lancashire County Council Trading Standards. Part of reply below:

As any attempt to mislead a consumer in the description of a product could potentially be a breach of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, the information you have provided will be passed to Lancashire County Council Trading Standards for further consideration and, if necessary, further action. Trading Standards may contact you for further information if they deem it necessary.

As I already said though, I've sold out and accepted the partial refund to keep my lens and am very pleased with the results it's giving and the price I ended up paying for it.

We have been informed that your CANON - EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Lens will be in stock this week.

A shipment is scheduled to arrive this week with the stock to fulfil your order.

Once stock has been confirmed you will be notified of the dispatch of this item.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience this has caused.

Very interesting thread! I do wonder if the 'new stock' is the old ones people are returning......time will tell.

I admire you for pushing for the new one, will be cracking deal if you can get that.

Update from me. As I have reported already, I received my replacement lens last Thursday but unfortunately this too showed clear signs of being used. I didn't get a chance to email my "case officer" Matthew in the Customer Action Team until late Friday afternoon to express my "extreme disappointment" (among other things). I asked him to contact me so that this matter could be resolved directly without further delay as I had a function the following (now next) weekend which I had intended using the lens at. I copied in the CEO address. I got an email response Friday night to say that he was on holiday leave and that I should forward my message to saveourcustomers@knowhow.com :cool: where it would be picked up and actioned by a colleague. I did that and got an email Saturday that someone else was on leave and then a further email on Sunday saying that someone would be in touch Monday. Phew, it was like pulling teeth again...

Melanie phoned on Monday and she was a breath of fresh air. Her opening line (after apologising on behalf of Dixons) was that she wanted to resolve this for me. She was conscious of the tight timescales as she was aware that I needed the lens by the end of the week. She said that they may not get this lens back in again (at all!) and with me being in Belfast another swap would not really be feasible in time anyway. She offered to try and locate a lens for me locally or if I wanted to buy one myself she would refund the difference. I enquired if there would be a discount available for keeping the used lens and she suggested that between 10% and 15% would be the norm. I took up the offer and opted for the 15% ;).The refund was actioned there and then.

However, when I got home, I gave the lens a good workout comparing it shot-for-shot with my telezoom workhorse the 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS and I just wasn't wowed by the comparison. Maybe I was expecting too much or it was just psychological with whatever seeds of doubt that had already been sown, but I preferred the results from the 70-300mm for most of the shots! Half way through, I realised that the 70-200mm was definitely back-focussing a bit - the DOF at 200mm/f4/1.2m is only a few mm so that wasn't kind to the comparison at the extreme closeup end, but even with that corrected with a -4 setting on my 7D micro-adjustment things didn't improve much to my eye. (I shot RAW and used a tripod, remote shutter and IS off BTW).

Anyway, I was originally happy (delighted!) to pay £752 for a new lens and now felt, rightly or wrongly, that the £113 saving on that for a "used" lens I wasn't sure about was a false economy, so I went back to Melanie today and she was happy to revive the original offer of me purchasing my own lens. So, as of lunchtime today I am the proud owner of a brand new (April 2011 according to the date code!) pristine lens from Jessops (as I waited in the queue, I did think of your post Pat and looked over my shoulder to see if I could spot the Dixons CEO :LOL:). I am leaving the old lens in to a local Currys store tomorrow and when that is confirmed, my refund will be processed.

So, it has been a long haul (nearly 4 weeks), but I now have a brand new lens for £752 (minus £32 quidco cashback - a £14 gain on Dixons!). A long haul but worth it, I think. I'm not sure I want to test this new lens now... (but if there are any immediate problems with it then at least I have a local store to deal with).

(I hope I haven't spooked any of you guys who have opted to keep your "handled" lenses - I'm sure the vast majority of them are fine, as mine probably was. If you're in any doubt you should be able to send it to Canon for a FOC calibration anytime during the 1yr warranty anyway).

Well done on getting that new lens.

For me well, Ive just found out the my lens has been stuck at the local curry's where I left it to be picked up and returned a week ago. :bang::bang::bang:

Looks like Ive got a long way to go.

That sounds about right for the date from Jessops. They only just got stock in for almost all Canon stuff, about 3 weeks ago. My 60D was built around then :)

Bluesmachine said:
That sounds about right for the date from Jessops. They only just got stock in for almost all Canon stuff, about 3 weeks ago. My 60D was built around then :)

Hope they start stocking the f2.8 versions of this lens else I look at Amazon.

Good news on the Guy who got a brand new one. Enjoy mate.

I faced my demons last night and put the new lens through the same tests as the others. Night and day (y) It has the "wow" factor I had anticipated a £900+ L lens to have. I'm glad I had my 70-300mm IS to compare the old one to or I might never have realised.

For the record, the old lens I am returning has a date code Sept 09 and the serial is 345894. I put a note on the box that it needs recalibrated ;)

I got my "price match" refund into my bank account yesterday so that's me square - 5 weeks to the day from my original order! Hang in there Pat.

Just got a bizarre phonecall from the Jessops shop in Belfast.

Lady: I believe you purchased a Canon 70-200mm f/4 lens from us recently?
Me: Yeeesss....
Lady: Some customers seem to have got the wrong lens. Are you sure you got the f/4.
Me: Yeeesss.... I used it yesterday and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if I had got an f/2.8. Do mean somebody got an f2.8 instead?
Lady: <silence>
Me: I wish I had been given a f2.8 but no, definitely, I received a 70-200mm f/4 IS. Thanks.

Are all the Canon dealers determined to go broke? :LOL:

can you not speak to them, tell them how others have been authorised to purchase locally etc. and can you have the same level of service.
nothing to lose

Have done but they have been saying that stock is due just around the corner.

Now told them that by the end of this week if they don't have it for me I will buy locally and expect them to cover the difference.

Lady: Some customers seem to have got the wrong lens. Are you sure you got the f/4.
Me: Yeeesss.... I used it yesterday and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if I had got an f/2.8. Do mean somebody got an f2.8 instead?
Me: I wish I had been given a f2.8 but no, definitely, I received a 70-200mm f/4 IS. Thanks.

No, just Jessops!

Have done but they have been saying that stock is due just around the corner.

Now told them that by the end of this week if they don't have it for me I will buy locally and expect them to cover the difference.

Sorry to hear that your troubles are still ongoing Pat. And to think that you were the first to highlight the issue! Stick at it - and push for some "goodwill" compensation. I asked early on and got a £50 voucher code confirmed this morning over the phone. It was emailed to me on 6th July apparently but I never received it and it cannot be re-emailed (!) - so watch out for that. It has to be used in-store in the DSG group by me personally (with 2 forms of indentification lol) - but better than nothing.

If you buy in Jessops you can order online and use "Collect in store" and earn Quidco cashback.

£752 - £32 (quidco) - £50 (voucher) = £670 :)

Someone got a nice suprise when they got home and opened the box! :LOL:

No "nice surprise" for me. :crying:

I do now have a nice shiny new (June '11 manufactured) F4 L IS. :D

Took a while but got there in the end.

If it is working like a new lens, and it looks like a new lens, ask for a lens hood. Im not sure what the instruction manual is supposed to tell you which you dont already know.

Back