Would you purchase a higher shutter count camera?

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m currently reshuffling gear with budget being the primary motivator.

I’m most likely looking for a Canon 6D, but there are some ‘well used’ 5Dmkiii’s on the likes of MPB that are (just) within my price range. They do tend to have a considerably higher shutter count than I’d usually buy though (70/80000).

I’m not worried about external condition though, and a 5dmkiii is a workhorse of a camera which does offer some advantages over the 6D, so I’m quite tempted.

I guess I’m asking would you be comfortable with a camera with a 70/80 thousand shutter count?

70/80 thousand isn't that high really, maybe 1/2 estimated life of 150,000 if you are unfortuate enough to only get to that.

FWIW

So called shutter life used to be or was a MTBF figure (Mean Time Before Failure) therefore if the camera has externally had a hard life, might there be a risk that the shutters life expectancy could be compromised??? In other words when buying secondhand based on MTBF with a high shutter count.......it could fail after 100 frames or might go to way higher than the 150,000 figure.

My old but still almost mint 5D3 has I think approx 12,000 (would need to look again to be sure?) on it but I have no idea in MTBF terms when the shutter might fail???

I bought a battered old 1D2 years ago, forget the shutter count but it was over the normal expected life and I got 2 years heavy use out of it before I replaced it with my 5D3, it's in the back of my wardrobe somewhere :) . It was a good price so I didn't mind it's condition or shutter count. Site I just went on said 350K isn't unusual for a 5D3, if you can believe it. So 70/80K doesn't sound like it will be ready to break, but of course anything can before it's expected lifespan. But if it's a decent price it's probably worth a gamble. Great cameras by the way, bit heavy maybe these days but fairly robust I dropped mine from 1.5m onto concrete, it shifted the sensor a bit, but that was all. Lens got a bit dented filter ring so both went to Elstree.

I bought a studio 5D mark 2 at 150k shutter count, used for about 20k and sold it on. It all just works.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another high shutter camera, as long as it's been well looked after. Same with cars, computer bits, etc.

My car is currently on 152,150 miles on the original transmission.. and engine... only things replaced are the cam belt. But many people with this car had the tranny break after about 100k. So you never know, ultimately, but so long as the exterior is okay and doesn't look too absurd, go for it. Plus you've got warranty anyway..

I think the life expectancy of the 5Diii shutter is higher than that of the 6D. However, as mentioned above either could fail in the very short term or could go on for years. Personally, I always go for low shutter count models.

first off no problems with high shutter count models but do think it through , external condition is more important when you then go to sell it on, so look for no scratches ,none or hardly any paint loss around shutter etc and base .. and finally only buy from a reputable dealer that will offer at least 12 months warranty .. wex being probably the best after sales service .. but also look at new models from trusted grey sellers i.e H.DEW ,PANAMOZ etc where new prices may well equal some used ones

Good point re warranty, Wex do 12 months. MPB is 6 I think.

80K is fine on a 5D MK 3. Bad on a 6D.

Its just luck, they can randomly fail at any time.

It’s MPB I’m looking at so the warranty is 6 months.

They’re certainly worn looking ( silver showing through etc)but I’m not overly concerned about the cosmetics.

The problem is when it comes to sell them later.

Other people are bothered. Just saying from experience.

If the camera is in the £600 price bracket (on their site) then you'll see there are a load with considerably more mileage.

Why a 5D3 out of interest?

Last edited:
I bought a D3 on here with 120k about 5 years ago and still going strong and have also just bought a D810 with 69k also from here.

Shutters can go at any time - it’s pure luck.
I’ve shot Nikon and canon bodies and only had one failure - that was a d3s @130k - it’s a shame but can happen. You can’t retrieve canon 1d3 shutter counts yourself - but mine must have north of 200k and it still works- it’s just pure luck.
if you’re concerned - factor a shutter replacement into consideration and make sure you can still get parts for older cameras

I want to stay FF and it’s really a toss up between the 6D or the Mkiii.
Reason I ask is because my recent Fuji purchase produces some outstanding results, not suggesting you go Fuji but maybe a smaller sensor would enable you to buy a lower mileage model?

I bought a high mileage Nikon D4s recently off LCE. It was a refurbished Nikon stock camera, 6 month warranty and was in brilliant external condition. All for £699. Think I got a good buy with it.

Reason I ask is because my recent Fuji purchase produces some outstanding results, not suggesting you go Fuji but maybe a smaller sensor would enable you to buy a lower mileage model?

I love Fuji! And I’d thought about going back to it, but it’s the price of the(admittedly fantastic)lenses that put me off. Other than that my canon FF cameras have produced some of my favourite images ever and I know I like how they operate.

I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered ( well traded in against) a 5Dmkiii on MPB that has a 65000 shutter count.

Time will tell if it holds up!

I love Fuji! And I’d thought about going back to it, but it’s the price of the(admittedly fantastic)lenses that put me off. Other than that my canon FF cameras have produced some of my favourite images ever and I know I like how they operate.

I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered ( well traded in against) a 5Dmkiii on MPB that has a 65000 shutter count.

Time will tell if it holds up!
I am sure you will like it.

I guess I’m asking would you be comfortable with a camera with a 70/80 thousand shutter count?

In short, yes. That's nothing for a decent camera, just like the same number of miles for a decent car.

I need to check our cameras, they will be in the hundreds of thousands I am sure and so far touch wood not one single fault across 6 cameras, all used hundreds of time a day

70 to 80k isn’t bad tbh. Depends on how it was used. Some used cameras are knocked around a lot.

I almost bought that one too! Serious value!

Sorry for getting in there too quick. I had to double check the price and when I got the pictures of the camera sent to me I was amazed at how clean it was. It's been really well looked after and I was genuinely over the moon with it. One very happy bunny and even down the line when it requires a new shutter it'll still hold it's value if not increase.

Sorry for getting in there too quick. I had to double check the price and when I got the pictures of the camera sent to me I was amazed at how clean it was. It's been really well looked after and I was genuinely over the moon with it. One very happy bunny and even down the line when it requires a new shutter it'll still hold it's value if not increase.
No need to apologize - I was close to buying the camera - but my professional photography commitments have changed significantly and with a few equipment failures recently (I've had a D810 back for service, a shutter failure on a D3S, a rear screen failure on a D3s, an 80-200 that needs a service, a 17-55 that needs a service and a new mount required for a 400 2.8) you can imagine that I've had to reassess my gear and with the announcements from Nikon, Canon and Sony in the last few weeks - I'm seriously considering changing systems to Canon...

Back