would you use SLR Hut

At least I can be happy in the knowledge that I have been educated to a standard that can spell correctly.

....Anyway,

For those who are interested in my review, it is genuine, if you don't think it is, then feel free to spend over the odds for the same products that are on the market in Britain.

You can choose to ingore or take on board my feedback, but it seems that everyone still wants to dwell on the negatives as opposed to the positives.

I had good service from them and that's that.

Peace out. :razz:

With only 3 posts starting to think this is one of the staff from SLR HUT

If i wanted to buy grey (which i have in the past) personally I'd recomend Kerso (though i understand that Hdew are pretty good too)

With only 3 posts starting to think this is one of the staff from SLR HUT

...3 posts in total, all made on the same day, all on this thread and all in defence of SLR Hut - and only joined on the same day - no other contribution/input to this community at all. Personally, I want something more before I begin to trust someone. More so, I distinctly treat such activity as suspicious and distrust it.

Edit: not to mention any other suspicious content - like the DHL email giving hour-to-hour automatic feedback - as I understand, this is only available to DHL Express account holders - so would be available to the sender and not the recipient :thinking:

Last edited:
hilarious remarks.

it's comical how people are like "oooo you must work for them" and "oooo DHL account holders" etc etc.
it is not the case.
I only have a hand full of posts because of all you ridiculous sceptics, only posting negative and 'hearsay' posts about companies you havn't bought from yourself. I wanted to post a positive review on a company I ACTUALLY bought from, is that too much to ask.

for your information, the package was sent using DHL express, so you had something right.

...but nevermind, take or leave my feedback, for those of you who have a 'normal' amount of posts and not like 3 million cos you have nothing better to do, then I hope you appreciate my experience.

cos you have nothing better to do,

says the person who was clearly trawling the web for mentions of SLRhut .. I wish my life was that full of energy and fun (not)

you still havent told us how you came to be emailed hourly updates from DHL - even with the express service, that only happens to the sender not the recipient, but then i guess you are just 'special'

Last edited:
I only have a hand full of posts because of all you ridiculous sceptics,

But all your posts are in this thread. You have never made any other posts so how can the ridiculous sceptics have throttled your posts exactly?

It appears you like yoru spam with a bit of attitude...

tabasco+spam.jpg

It doesn't happen for just the sender. It was pretty simple actually, you might understand it.

I had a code emailed to me from DHL, which when I typed that into their website to track it, it had daily and hourly updates as to where my package was and at what times. i.e shipping from warehouse to depot, depot

I looked on the review sites for feedback on SLR hut, sure, but luckily I didn't listen to hearsay, took a punt, and it paid off.

Thus I am giving my feedback of my experiences.

Anything else you would like to 'try' and catch me out on? Or are you done just arguing?

Is there a way of putting up a screen shot on here? If so, how?

It doesn't happen for just the sender. It was pretty simple actually, you might understand it.

we understand it just fine - you originally said

/DHL emailed me giving me hour to hour automatic feedback about where my item was

but now you are changing your story to

I had a code emailed to me from DHL, which when I typed that into their website to track it,

we don't have to try to catch you out - you are doing a pretty good job of that yourself

Is there a way of putting up a screen shot on here? If so, how?

save it as a jpeg - put it on a site like flickr or in your gallery on here and then link it to this thread in image brackets - however you don't need to provide a screenshot showing that you can track delivery on the DHL website, we all know that it does that - what we were disputing was your original claim of hour by hour automatic updates by email

anyway I'm done with this fatuous argument - I don't particularly have a problem with SLRhut other than their being a grey importer, but your review isnt lending any credibility for the various reasons outlined above

Last edited:
Well, strike me down.

Detective chief inspector moose is sharp, ey.

Look, you clearly don't/arn't/will never listen to anything I have to say, nit pick at everything I DO say, so there's no point in me even trying.

Enjoy ignoring and poo pooing everything that isn't negative and I hope you hit a billion posts sometime in the very near future (shouldn't take long, good luck and keep an eye on those blistered fingertips of yours). :wave:

I was googling SLR Hut to find out about their warranty, and this thread came up. Interesting discussion! However I'm really struggling to see exactly what Zoe said that was so impossible as to create this reaction? Until she popped up, you all seemed to accept that kit could be bought for massively discounted prices as grey imports, and that the SLR Hut setup might not be illegal in terms of tax and duties. There had been a couple of "first hand" satisfied customers, one "first hand" unsatisfied customer, and a lot of conjecture and hearsay. Zoe pops up suggesting she'd had a good experience, and she's jumped on as being a spammer, someone who works for SLR Hut, accused of changing her story (which she didn't?) Now maybe you've got access to the back end and can see an IP address, but otherwise, what is so incredulous about her story?? There are quite a few online companies offering kit for significantly less than high street prices (and not significantly different to SLR Hut), all with (what appear to be) decent reputations. Superficially, SLR Hut appears to be one. They've not been dishonest about where the kit is coming from, although they're not clear about warranties, I'll give you that. I also didn't think the SLR Hut guy who came on here said anything to contradict anything either he or the site says or does. Mind you, he didn't come back. but then would you have listened?

Have I bought from them? Not yet. Am I considering it? Why not! The Google reviews are generally positive (not non-existent like the sites I really would avoid), my credit card will cover my purchase in the event of it being fraudulent, and they're £160 cheaper for the camera I want to buy! That's 2 Lee filters! That's a good chunk of a lens! How bothered am I about it potentially being a grey import? Meh. I don't know. My F50, D70 and D90 never needed warranty support, so why would a D7100?

I'd much prefer to buy from my local shop, and if they could come up with a price within £50 of what I can buy it for online, I'd be in there like a shot. I did in fact call them up to ask (FWIW, they didn't dismiss SLR Hut - they'd heard of them, said they were a grey import company, not a scam) and that obviously explains the price difference. So if using these companies, the real question is, what value is the manufacturers UK warranty to a customer?

So I'm torn. However I don't think Zoe deserved that. I don't necessarily think SLR Hut was trying to pull any wool over your eyes, as you'd already pretty much validated the business model and that prices were within the realms of possibility for imports. Yep, people have had bad service, but you get that everywhere.

So yes, I just registered to stick up for Zoe and point out that SLR Hut may in fact be legit. Does that make me a stooge?? ;) Maybe I'll stick around, I've been looking for a decent, lively photography forum. Maybe that's what Zoe wanted too...?

and I truly wish my local camera store had the opportunity to compete with online prices. Whatever it is that means that importing cameras and equipment is so much cheaper has to change, otherwise UK based retailers simply cannot compete in a globalised marketplace. Whether that's tax or artificially inflated UK prices or a combination of all of these. Amazon killed Jessops, but you cannot blame customers when prices are 15% less online! My local camera shop (and it might be your local camera shop too) doesn't carry half the kit I'd want to buy but I have no problems sourcing it online. It ISN'T a level playing field, and that isn't fair, but how can I justify paying £160 more for the same thing?

Zoe and Scott, sitting in a tree, registering on a forum, giving bad advice for free.

ta daaaaaa, i'm here all week!

Last edited:
Hey, I'm not giving advice, I'm looking for it ;) Best price for a D7100 please? Actually it turns out there are cheaper places than SLR Hut... One Stop Digital (as recommended on the previous page) are selling it at around the same price... So what's the difference? Why is OSD not singled out for criticism? There are quite a few "positively reviewed" sellers on Google selling for less. So, again, I'm guessing they're grey import sellers, and again the question is, is the value purely in the Warranty (that to date I've never used...)?

Oh, and thanks for the welcome - its good to see healthy reasoned debate, open minds and new members being encouraged to contribute and being so well received! :)

Last edited:
One Stop Digital (as recommended on the previous page) are selling it at around the same price... So what's the difference? Why is OSD not singled out for criticism?

I think the difference is that One Stop Digital don't attempt to hide the fact that they're based in Hong Kong, so you know from the start that it's a "grey" import and may not have a UK warranty.

Another slightly more subtle difference is the issue of VAT. OSD don't charge VAT, since they're based in HK; you should be charged VAT by HMRC as the goods come into the country, but if you're not then it isn't OSD's fault and they can claim they're acting totally legally. By contrast SLR Hut have a UK base, so if they're selling goods without charging VAT then they're breaking the law, plain and simple.

Have I bought from them? Not yet. Am I considering it? Why not!
One reason why not is that selling goods without charging VAT is illegal.

How bothered am I about it potentially being a grey import? Meh. I don't know. My F50, D70 and D90 never needed warranty support, so why would a D7100?
Fair point. I suspect a warranty probably isn't worth that much. (And some items, such as Canon lenses, have worldwide manufacturers' warranties anyway.)

I'd much prefer to buy from my local shop, and if they could come up with a price within £50 of what I can buy it for online, I'd be in there like a shot.
I think you're being a bit disingenuous. Your local shop is paying VAT and complying with the law. That's why they're more expensive.

I truly wish my local camera store had the opportunity to compete with online prices. Whatever it is that means that importing cameras and equipment is so much cheaper has to change, otherwise UK based retailers simply cannot compete in a globalised marketplace. Whether that's tax or artificially inflated UK prices or a combination of all of these. Amazon killed Jessops, but you cannot blame customers when prices are 15% less online! My local camera shop (and it might be your local camera shop too) doesn't carry half the kit I'd want to buy but I have no problems sourcing it online. It ISN'T a level playing field, and that isn't fair, but how can I justify paying £160 more for the same thing?
Back to my point about legality, I guess. Companies who act legally often find it difficult to compete with those who don't.

So yes, I just registered to stick up for Zoe and point out that SLR Hut may in fact be legit. Does that make me a stooge?? ;) Maybe I'll stick around, I've been looking for a decent, lively photography forum. Maybe that's what Zoe wanted too...?
Do, please, stick around and contribute. It's a great forum. And if you contribute anything other than defences of SLR Hut, that will reduce people's temptations to think you're here for ulterior motives. ;)

Do, please, stick around and contribute. It's a great forum. And if you contribute anything other than defences of SLR Hut, that will reduce people's temptations to think you're here for ulterior motives.

I just did... ;)

And thanks for the response! :) It helps explain!

You also just highlighted another thing... you say Canon warranties are International? I use Nikon, and I'd guess they're not....!

You say Canon warranties are International? I use Nikon, and I'd guess they're not....!
Canon lens warranties are international, but Canon camera warranties aren't. I don't know the Nikon situation off the top of my head; I don't use Nikon much myself and I have much less Nikon gear than Canon gear. I could look it up, but so could you...

Nope, agreed, I can do that myself! :) Mind you, as I said, I am a bit meh about the warranty anyway. Ach, we'll see. You may have just pushed me back towards the shop rather than online

and I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear, local dealer managed to do me a D7100 for £950, price matching the cheapest UK internet prices, which to me sounded like a cracking deal! I got what I wanted, and they'll most likely get my repeat custom!

Oh dear, best UK price is £939 according to CPB - sounds like you didn't do as well as you could.

I think that for the difference of £11 I would rather deal locally anyway.

Heather

I got so annoyed at some of the comments here that I decided to register. Sure I will get shot down in flames like some other posters however...

I purchased a Sony A57 for my GF for her birthday a couple of months back from SLRHut. I started to stress about if for a day or two, but then got the promised courier info and was able to track it. All arrived with starter kit etc as described and no complaints at all.

With regard to VAT, I think a lot of my Amazon purchases dont get VAT charged. What they seemed to be referring to was Duty - i.e. import duty. I assume that is paid or customs would soon put a stop to it.

However, I was looking for a new flash for same camera, and as I had a promo email from them I decided to check the site to see what was there. I then phoned to check what the options were, and was less than impressed by the salesperson this time - and never did get to find out how to use the promo code.

So on this occasion the savings are less (flash is much cheaper than a camera) and reading all the negative comments here starts to make me worry again, so I'll swerve it and probably buy from Amazon. But I have to say first purchase at nearly £500 was perfect, and arrived before the stated 7-10 days - just some anxious moments I don't really need :)

How many more people will register just to tell us SLR hut are great ? then chip never to be seen again despite having alledgedly bought cameras.

Come one ladies and gentelmen place your bets :LOL:

How many more people will register just to tell us SLR hut are great ? then chip never to be seen again despite having alledgedly bought cameras.

Well a) I have my own Sony A300 camera that was bought from Jessops a couple years back, so whether I bought from SLRHut has no bearing on whether I think this is a good place to come, and b) are you seriously suggesting that I didn't buy my GF a camera from SLRHut?

Come on, be serious - the only reason some people want to defend them is because they didn't get stitched up. As far as I can see the only people with something against them are the ones that didn't buy. So why is it that you lot are so against them? I am openly saying I have some misgivings (albeit mainly because of the rants here) that are stopping me buying from them this time round, however I did get good service last time. I have no doubt there are some people who geniunely didn't get good service - as there are with any company - the real question is what percentage got a good deal, and what percentage wished they had bought elsewhere. And that is what I would come to these forums for - proper information so I could make an informed decision. If I don't come back again for proper camera discussions it will be because I end up believing the general attitude here doesn't help, not because I wanted to defend SLRHut and couldn't persuade you otherwise. I have no interest whatsoever in whether you decide they are good or bad, only in trying to give a more balanced perspective.

And for those who will insist that people like me only write to get their names in print or some other such nonsense - have a look at what you are contributing to the wisdom of mankind. How many times have you tried to read a review of a new product, only to find that all the comments are from people who haven't actually bought it? The original topic was 'would you use SLRhut?' - well that doesn't presuppose that you have to have bought to answer it, so opinions of any sort are equally valid. However it also suggests that anyone coming to this topic was thinking of buying from SLRHut and would appreciate comments from those who have, as well as warnings from those who think it would be safer not to. I don't see any sign here that comments from buyers are welcome...

As far as I can see the only people with something against them are the ones that didn't buy. So why is it that you lot are so against them?

Have you read the whole thread? Some of us have other reasons - which haven't so far been addressed by any of the firm's supporters:

Personally, I get really hacked off by parasites who sell stuff without registering for VAT. It's illegal and it just undermines the efforts of honest businesses who try to comply with the law.

Last edited:
I agree it is unfair for some companies not to charge VAT, however when big-name companies such as play.com and Amazon get away with it by registering in Jersey, I don't see that SLRHut should get singled out on that score. I never know in advance when I buy from Amazon if I am going to get a VAT invoice which makes it very difficult to compare prices - but that only relates to items I buy for my company, I can't reclaim VAT on cameras.
I would far rather there was a level playing field, but there isn't. And although most (say 95%) of my company purchases are through UK companies, when buying off the web for personal stuff it is very difficult to know where things are really coming from or through, especially as .co.uk domains mean nothing as far as trading is concerned.

I don't have a local camera shop any more, and I normally don't have the time to go on shopping expeditions - both regrettable - and I am not able to tell how legal SLRHut's trading is. My suspicion is that it is legal, though it may not be 100% ethical. I am more concerned though about how likely I am to get my goods as described, and what will happen if I have a problem. I salve my conscience by giving a little to charity every now and again, shopping in my highstreet when I can, and avoiding Tesco. Someone else needs to tighten down the trading laws, and ban battery chickens while they are at it!

Apriumben, I'm curious. How did you discover this forum, and how did you know that a number of other people had registered with (apparently) the sole purpose of saying what wonderful service SLR Hut had given - and then promptly vanished?

I agree it is unfair for some companies not to charge VAT, however when big-name companies such as play.com and Amazon get away with it by registering in Jersey, I don't see that SLRHut should get singled out on that score.

The difference is that what Amazon etc are doing is technically legal. What SLR Huit are doing is not legal.

I am not able to tell how legal SLRHut's trading is. My suspicion is that it is legal, though it may not be 100% ethical.

Unfortunately it's not legal. And isn't it interesting that Mr SLR Hut popped up here earlier in the thread to answer some of the questions being levelled at his company, but he has singularly failed to address the VAT issue. I think that tells you everything you need to know.

I'm actually not sure SLR Hut are doing anything wrong, but it may inadvertently be the buyer who is breaking the law.

My understanding is SLR Hut is based in the USA so wouldn't need to be VAT registered, but instead VAT and customs/excise duty should be paid by the recipient (I.e. the customer) to HMC&E on import. My understanding is the onus is on the importer not the exporter.

We've never ordered from SLR Hut so would be interested to hear from someone who has - does the package come straight from the US to your home? Or does it go via an address in the UK? Is there an invoice attached to the package or any identification of how much the package is worth? And does that tally with the price you paid SLR Hut?

Does the SLR Hut website actually mention VAT anywhere? I'm on the move so only looking at it on the iPhone but couldn't see any mention of VAT.

According to the upfront link on their web page VAT is included in their prices - so if (and note i'm saying if ,. not making a definite statement) they arent in fact paying VAT , the that would be illegal

If they are VAT registered in the UK it would be to their benefit to say so when asked, so its a bit odd that they are so reticent on the matter (also I thought that if you are VAT registered and an online trader you have to have your VAT no. somehere on your pages - I can't find any such on the SLR hut site.)

Last edited:
THe poor guy must be getting tired of creating duplicate accounts by now

Back