would you use SLR Hut

1. Was the customs declaration value on the parcel the same amount that you were charged?
2. Was the parcel accurately labelled as a digital camera?
3. Did your invoice include VAT and a UK VAT number?

Yes
Yes
No

Sorry I really can't be bothered.

:shrug: I wonder why? If the labelling and invoice were legitimate, why wouldn't an avid supporter of the shop want to try and sort the "misconceptions" around labelling and invoicing out?

But no problem, lets leave it there, however I still have misgivings about the legitimacy of this company.

Or even better, how about a scan/photo of the customs label and the invoice (after removing your personal details, of course)?

Sorry I really can't be bothered.

Amazing. Your perfect opportunity to prove all the doubters wrong, make us eat humble pie, and generally rub our noses in it, and you can't be bothered?

Yeah, right.

Deleting posts = not cool.

But his posts will live on thanks to the quotes system. :)

. My credit card bill shows SLRhut so I'm guessing it was a direct payment and I would have been covered anyway.

nope - if I bought a camera off you and paid you with a credit card via paypal , my credit card statement would show kempie26 (or whatever your designated paypal name is) ... it wouldn't mean I'd paid you directly

Same thing for world pay, googlecheckout, mals cart etc

Grey importers don't have a leg to stand on in this community I'm afraid. If you want to do it, you're best off keeping it to yourself! Many of the members on this forum use DRev, HDEW, OneStop - but don't bother asking what peoples opinions are on them, because you'll rile up the same people again and again. As for the forums not appearing too friendly... well, let's just say I've been at the raw end of many a debate on here and you'll need a hard nose if you want to survive through to the next thread!!

Grey importers don't have a leg to stand on in this community I'm afraid. If you want to do it, you're best off keeping it to yourself! Many of the members on this forum use DRev, HDEW, OneStop - but don't bother asking what peoples opinions are on them, because you'll rile up the same people again and again. As for the forums not appearing too friendly... well, let's just say I've been at the raw end of many a debate on here and you'll need a hard nose if you want to survive through to the next thread!!

I would disagree, the people that tend to rile everyone up are the shills, the apologists (XYZ are the best company in the world and are doing nothing wrong, everyone avoids tax, they offer 300 year gold plated warranties, they will hand deliver your item on a chariot, the item is better from XYZ, and they are the BEST) and the arrogant posters (I bought from XYZ, I don't care what anyone thinks, if a UK company wants my business they should cut 20% off their prices, who cares about UK jobs, it's the price what matters! I saved a BAZILLION POUNDS).

I haven't seen anyone getting flamed for just saying "I bought from XYZ, I know the risks, I should pay my tax, and if the item develops a fault, I have no one to blame but myself, but the item arrived OK"

Grey importers don't have a leg to stand on in this community I'm afraid. If you want to do it, you're best off keeping it to yourself! Many of the members on this forum use DRev, HDEW, OneStop - but don't bother asking what peoples opinions are on them, because you'll rile up the same people again and again.

I'm sorry but thats rubbish - I've used Hdew , they label parcels correctly, pay the import tax and vat, and provide a legitimate VAT receipt. (they are an actual bricks and mortar HK shop who just happen to export to the UK)

The issue isnt with grey importing per se, its with the iffier firms that deliberately mislabel parcels , claim to include VAT in their prices but don't provide a vat number, pretend to be uk based when they arent, offer discounts to people in return for good reviews/ebay feedback, etc

and even more pertinently with the shill posters who are trying to take us for muppets by reporting their wonderful experinces with XYZ grey importer with their first post but never backing it up or posting anywhere else on the forum.

I'm sorry but thats rubbish - I've used Hdew , they label parcels correctly, pay the import tax and vat, and provide a legitimate VAT receipt. (they are an actual bricks and mortar HK shop who just happen to export to the UK)

The issue isnt with grey importing per se, its with the iffier firms that deliberately mislabel parcels , claim to include VAT in their prices but don't provide a vat number, pretend to be uk based when they arent, offer discounts to people in return for good reviews/ebay feedback, etc

and even more pertinently with the shill posters who are trying to take us for muppets by reporting their wonderful experinces with XYZ grey importer with their first post but never backing it up or posting anywhere else on the forum.

Amen. Worthy of being a sticky.

Apologies, I had assumed that HDEW were your typical VAT-dodging grey importer along with the others!

You have to admit though Pete, that you along with Dave are some of the few to immediately jump in with your soapbox on a thread like this! ;) I'm not saying that's a bad thing, though my opinions on the subject are totally mixed (I've had both good and bad experiences with HK dealers). I'm not convinced that all customers of DRev, Onestop, Panamoz etc. are deliberately out to avoid paying their taxes and I wouldn't call it arrogance, at least not in every case. It's naivety if anything, them thinking that they're saving a few £££ at the expense of no one else.

I'm not convinced that all customers of DRev, Onestop, Panamoz etc. are deliberately out to avoid paying their taxes and I wouldn't call it arrogance, at least not in every case. It's naivety if anything, them thinking that they're saving a few £££ at the expense of no one else.

That was the point I was making, the average "I bought from digitalrev" hardly gets a bad response, but the idiots who come on as pure shills, or the belligerent ones, (like kempie, just recently) are going to get a response.

the problem is, we've had so many people in this thread shilling for SLR hut that frankly, anyone with a low post count that posts in here is going to get jumped on.

Sadly, I think that there may well have been a little collateral damage here and there, by people jumping in and posting without reading the entire thread, getting an idea of what would happen and going "hell no,i'm not going in there... no matter how much I think i've had a bargain, I'm not getting that kind of abuse"

Equally, we've had some grade-a, fur lined, copper bottomed, ocean going premium quality tools who have posted (often from outside the UK, which is something of a giveaway...) and where we've spotted them, action has been taken. Please be aware that there are a number of staff who are subscribed to this thread and we are keeping an eye on it and discussing how to deal with this issue. Until then, for the regulars - keep it civil guys, and to the next person with a low/zero post count, please be aware your post will be the subject of a certain degree of suspicion so if you do post in support, be prepared to substantiate your claims.

Mark - I realise that it's a bit of a controversial matter editing other people's material, but it might be worth adding some of what you've just said to the opening post of the thread.

You never know, it might help a bit! :D

Is it possible to somehow limit `reviews` until a poster has been registered for X-amount of time & made a minimum number of posts? Similar to the classified section.

Just another to disagree with that. I've bought several items from kerso, with full uk recent, vat paid and eligible for canon cash back and support. Very necessary as a cps member.

yeah I forgot kerso - ive used him before as well

incidentally - CPS ? - you're a member of the crown prosecution service ? :thinking:

Last edited:
Interesting and at times amusing thread. It's always good to read about others' experiences of such companies.

Hi just checking has any one on here used this site to buy any think before based in london as i am looking into getting one of theses lens
Sigma Telephoto zoom lens free p&p link to site below

http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID30C10/google
Not to be trusted, false advertising or incorrect price

Where to start.

Underhand?, they advertise products they have no intention of selling at that price.

Misleading? They have a .uk website, a uk address and a uk call center number, their terms state they are international and ship worldwide. Their site states "… shipments to customers outside of the UK, please contact us for more details if requesting to ship outside the UK." Now it may just be me, but this reads as though they are based in UK, but nope, they are based in US!!

Illegal activity - take payment for items they have no stock of and no supplier chain back orders or expectation of getting any. This is considered illegal practice in the UK.

This company took £299 out of my account after confirming my order, but before shipping, or even checking of stock (so they say). They did not respond to many emails via their site, only when emailed directly, and when phoned just wanted to sell more things to me rather than ask what the problem was and how could it be resolved. To add insult to injury, they called me at unwelcome hours, again trying to flog me stuff I didn't want.

To make it worse, after eventually refunding me, they have exactly the same lens on sale "brand new and in stock"

So, treat this company with the respect it deserves, and shop elsewhere. I will definitely never consider them again, and I will actively recommend anyone considering to look beyond their prices. I have never in my entire life been treated with such disrespect and underhand principles.

So, Congratulations SLRhut. I said I would be posting my views, and here they are. Fully deserving of a picture on rogues gallery of dodgy internet traders.

If I could give them zero or even negative stars, I would.

Deepee, UK

I'm no fan of SLR hut or of grey importing in general - but taking money for items curently out of stock isnt illegal per se

Well - I suppose it makes a change for someone to join up, just to slag a company off, as opposed to big them up...

In the interest of being even handed, please take the above in the same spirit as you do the unsolicited testimonials...

Well - I suppose it makes a change for someone to join up, just to slag a company off, as opposed to big them up...

In the interest of being even handed, please take the above in the same spirit as you do the unsolicited testimonials...

That's fair enough & only proper, but he has posted a couple of other reviews on T.pilot (Feb 14 & July 13) so seems legit to me. :cool:

there's trolls in them thar shills :LOL:

Hi guys.

The reviews on trust pilot overwhelming suggest slrhut are a decent company. I purchase a canon 5d mark 3 on Sunday and have been notification it will be delivered on Thursday. I'll update my review but I am confident the camera will be of excellent. I'll keep you posted.

John

Thanks for joining up to tell us that (especially on such an old thread) ... hopefully you'll stick arround and actually talk about the photography you do with it too

Hi guys.

The reviews on trust pilot overwhelming suggest slrhut are a decent company. I purchase a canon 5d mark 3 on Sunday and have been notification it will be delivered on Thursday. I'll update my review but I am confident the camera will be of excellent. I'll keep you posted.

John

well - it seems a lots happened in the intervening 18+ months between the last post in this thread and now...

as Pete say's we look forward to seeing some of your work around the forum - maybe post some pictures with the new toy (if it arrives) and in the meantime, while you wait, you could always get stuck into giving some critique on other peoples work - there's always a few posts in the unanswered threads section that'd appreciate someones input...

Thanks for joining up to tell us that (especially on such an old thread) ... hopefully you'll stick arround and actually talk about the photography you do with it too

well - it seems a lots happened in the intervening 18+ months between the last post in this thread and now...

as Pete say's we look forward to seeing some of your work around the forum - maybe post some pictures with the new toy (if it arrives) and in the meantime, while you wait, you could always get stuck into giving some critique on other peoples work - there's always a few posts in the unanswered threads section that'd appreciate someones input...
You old cynics you :D

not cynical at all, I'd love to see Johns work around the forum... Just because we've had at least 5 people sign up simply to contribute to this thread (and make little or no contribution to the forum in any other threads), and that the representatives of the company who signed up refused to answer simple questions as to their VAT status doesn't mean that John isn't a genuine person who found this thread while googling around the internet for somewhere to tell people how happy he was with his purchase to be...

that the representatives of the company who signed up refused to answer simple questions as to their VAT status..

to be fair this is an old thread - on their most recent itteration of their website SLRhut are no longer claiming to be collecting the VAT

these days they make the confusing statement

Note: VAT is not withheld, excluded or included in the price of an item you purchase no matter if you are purchasing for personal use or business use. SLRHut prepays all import duties required to ship the product to the UK. You will never be required to pay any additional taxes or fees to receive your shipment within the UK. The price you see is the only price you pay.

so its still clear as mud whether they are paying the appropriate VAT on import - but at least they've given up claiming to add VAT at the checkout despite not being vat registered

Mind you they are still pretty confused about returns and restocking fees - they variously claim that restocking fees of 15%, or 25% will be charged, or possibly not depending which clause you are reading - they also state in clause 8 that any item with damaged packaging must be refused, but in clause 9 that good must not be refused....

Last edited:
The irony of it is, anyone in two minds about using SLR Hut, is now less likely to buy from them.

Regardless of John's legitimacy, the nature of his post in the context of this thread throws up nothing but more doubts.

I emailed them and asked them to clarify the "not included or excluded" clause (as logically its got to be one or the other" their answer was to say please ring us to discuss this - when i said i wanted clarification in writing they never sent anything further

on their about page they say

VAT is never charged on any order
so if thats true, given that they also claim to be paying all taxes on import they must be generously absorbing the cost of the VAt themselves... odd that they are so reluctant to say so :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi guys.

John

To paraphrase from the Bucket List; I'd trust you as much as I'd trust one of my farts.

Back