WP memory problem

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know how to sort this out?

It appeared yesterday so I increased the WP memory limit from 64M to 128M in the config file but no difference. I then tried deactivating plugins one by one and the site crashed with a fatal error.

I contacted the host, TSOHOST, but they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot so I tried a cache clear-out and that worked but the fault is still there.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-29 19.25.52.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-29 19.25.52.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 38
I was with TSO for years and everything was ok, I started getting issues like this and no help forthcoming so after research I found out the folk that started TSO were now at Stablepoint.
I moved to them and have had no issues since.

Many others on here have moved too.

I was with TSO for years and everything was ok, I started getting issues like this and no help forthcoming so after research I found out the folk that started TSO were now at Stablepoint.
I moved to them and have had no issues since.

Many others on here have moved too.
This

Just last month I moved a number of websites from TSO Host due to server issues & poor support.

I had been with them for almost 12 years

Does anyone know how to sort this out?

It appeared yesterday so I increased the WP memory limit from 64M to 128M in the config file but no difference. I then tried deactivating plugins one by one and the site crashed with a fatal error.

I contacted the host, TSOHOST, but they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot so I tried a cache clear-out and that worked but the fault is still there.

Any ideas?

You need to edit your php.ini file directly to set the memory_limit to 128M

What version of cPanel are you using for your hosting account?
If you have an up to date version log into your cPanel, go through the list of tools until you get to the software section.

Look for the MultiPHP INI Editor and click on it

On the page that opens up stay in basic mode, select the directory

On the screen that then opens up find memory_limit and put in 128M

Click on apply

Don't forget to refresh/clear cache after doing the above.

Hope this helps

Find a new host. Problem will 100% be solved.

TSO Host are 100% crap ever since being taken over by GoDaddy

I ran my business on TSO for a number of years until their customer service when down the pan. I didn't matter what we changed in php.ini it never effected the site. We always had to raise a ticket and try to find somebody who actually understood what you wanted to do and they had to make the changes on their end.

I'm with IONOS now and they are a breath of fresh air. You have complete control within the limits of your hosting plan.

Last edited:

I ran my business on TSO for a number of years until their customer service when down the pan. I didn't matter what we changed in php.ini it never effected the site. We always had to raise a ticket and try to find somebody who actually understood what you wanted to do and they had to make the changes on their end.

I'm with IONOS now and they are a breath of fresh air. You have complete control within the limits of your hosting plan.

This

I have to agree, TSO Host are not the company they once were.

It's not as easy as just dropping them and going elsewhere though. I have to just bide my time having only renewed a few weeks ago.

The one thing that will force me to move though is that they're dropping the current cPanel platform soon having put all their cloud hosting on them only a year ago. That move saw a price rise and when they change to the new sooper dooper cPanel platform no doubt the price will rise yet again.

A few months ago I had to move one client when their hosting costs went up 300% and they refused to pay so they found an Indian host to go with at a fraction of the price. Have to admit though that their new site is generic and crap with loads of grammatical errors.

I still have this memory problem though but it doesn't seem to be causing too much trouble yet. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

BTW I contacted them through the chat facility yesterday and kept getting cut off. I spoke to 6 advisors in all and all 6 got disconnected. Problem not at my end. I gave up in the end.

HI Philip,

That was one of the reasons, amongst many, that I decided to leave

I was 4 months into a new term when they said they were going to move me to one of their new servers and with it my costs would go up almost 3x, not only that I would also loose some of the feature set that I already had - of course I could always pay even more extra on top if I wanted them reinstated.

With the above, the constant problems and poor support I told them I was not happy and moved all my sites to a new host, I also demanded a pro-rata refund of the time left which they agreed to and paid

You used to get very quick replies to support tickets, within the hour, and you could also reach support via telephone if you needed them.

Now you will end up waiting well over 24 hours for a reply to a support ticket and the reply you get is of no help at all and often asks for information you have already given them.

Telephone support was removed some time ago and as for the "Live chat" I have never had that work properly

Sorry I seem to have gone on a small rant :runaway:

Best,

Milo

TSO support has been horrible as well their prices this days.. try to switch to webhostuk.co.uk they are really good in managed wordpress hosting will help with migration as well as wp optimization or either show you the right way to solve the problem.

I have been with ionos (1&1) for close on 20 years now.

They are quite good, but keep trying to push things on you and even adding things to your account you did not authorise (I think that has been stopped now)

They are getting quite expensive now though, so the urge to change is getting stronger, also many of the websites and domains I ran have become redundant.

Biggest problem for me with changing is emails, I have only used webmail for years, so everything would have to be downloaded.

I have been with ionos (1&1) for close on 20 years now.

They are quite good, but keep trying to push things on you and even adding things to your account you did not authorise (I think that has been stopped now)

They are getting quite expensive now though, so the urge to change is getting stronger, also many of the websites and domains I ran have become redundant.

Biggest problem for me with changing is emails, I have only used webmail for years, so everything would have to be downloaded.
I’ve never had them try and add anything.

I have a VPS with more ram, more cores and three times as much storage than I did with TSO and it’s 6 times cheaper than TSO. I definitely wouldn’t call them expensive. Oh and it just works where TSO servers were always going down or slow as treacle climbing up hill.

Servers cost a lot of money to maintain and run so I rather pay them a bit more if I have to than have services cut.

I’ve never had a price increase from IONOS since being with them.

Last edited:
I’ve never had them try and add anything.

I have a VPS with more ram, more cores and three times as much storage than I did with TSO and it’s 6 times cheaper than TSO. I definitely wouldn’t call them expensive. Oh and it just works where TSO servers were always going down or slow as treacle climbing up hill.

Servers cost a lot of money to maintain and run so I rather pay them a bit more if I have to than have services cut.

I’ve never had a price increase from IONOS since being with them

In 2016 or 2015 the hosting contract charges went up by over 60%

In 2017 they started charging me PHP support which I had not asked for or authorised.
Eventually it was refunded and they apologised that it should never have been added unless I had agreed to it.

Their domain charges have risen quite a bit in the last couple of years.

Hope you luck continues :)

Must agree, they are pretty reliable though

#1. 128M or less may likely be too little. 512 would be a safer bet. WP has bloated a lot, with updates, scanners, firewalls and all the rest.

#2. In all likelihood TSO / GODADDY is the problem. I too was with them. In spring my sites were mostly down. Their servers are badly oversubscibed and even lack basic PHP upgrades. 7.1 was the latest or something like that. The "support" only suggested I pay them 4X more. And that I'm basically stupid and they are the best in the whole galaxy. I told them to stick it, moved out asap and while the new host is not perfect (is anything on shared hosting plans?!) but it is at least mostly working. It cost me about 2 days to move things over. If I had to do it again would be a bit quicker now.

In fact if you have one of those fancy fibre optic packages with fixed IP and recent NAS box with at least one SSD you just may as well go full DIY route for a moderate traffic personal site.

Back