Wrist Watch photography - what equipment do I need

Edit My Images
No
I'm a keen watch "collector" - try as I try I cannot get good shots of my collection, to catalogue them as well as the obvious

I've watched some uTube vids and the "set up" seemed to be surrounded by lots of stands and equipment to defuse and angle the light........ plus a large Studio ....... it also appears to take "hours" to get a good shot - (I have 25+ watches in my collection, and would want say 5 shots of each watch for ID purposes)

What should I get to start this type of photography - I have a Nikon 105 f2.8 - a few tripods, a couple of Nikon Speedlights and the Nikon R1C1 I use for close up of insects etc.

Presumably I need a few cheap stands, Amazon??

I suppose my question is "where do I start" - as I said I have gone through a few utube vids......

Any advice given would be appreciated, plus any shots that you have taken

Last edited:
At a pinch shoot the flashes through white sheets.

Or buy a shooting tent from Amazon or eBay.

You don't need a massive studio, it can be done on a table top.

it also appears to take "hours" to get a good shot
I would suppose that once you have a working set up you can just replace one watch with the next and then get through them quite quickly. I've got a large tent like that and I hardly ever use it because when I do I remember how awkward it is to use. I'd happily part with it for £10 plus postage if you want to give it a go but you'll probably be disappointed...

A few large pieces of cardboard, hardboard, or thin ply painted black/white are probably easier

I can't help with the technicalities but could I suggest you post in the Talk Lighting and Studii section. There are some real experts in there who always seem happy to share their knowledge
I'm a keen watch "collector" - try as I try I cannot get good shots of my collection, to catalogue them as well as the obvious

I've watched some uTube vids and the "set up" seemed to be surrounded by lots of stands and equipment to defuse and angle the light........ plus a large Studio ....... it also appears to take "hours" to get a good shot - (I have 25+ watches in my collection, and would want say 5 shots of each watch for ID purposes)

What should I get to start this type of photography - I have a Nikon 105 f2.8 - a few tripods, a couple of Nikon Speedlights and the Nikon R1C1 I use for close up of insects etc.

Presumably I need a few cheap stands, Amazon??

I suppose my question is "where do I start" - as I said I have gone through a few utube vids......

Any advice given would be appreciated, plus any shots that you have taken

You can always use the old "refrigerator trick": put the watch in the fridge for 20 minutes then bring it out and press the shutter while condensation is still dulling the surface. If I'd done that with this very quick snap I might have avoided the blown highlights...

Fossiil wristwatch TZ70 P1030495.JPG

Set the hands at ten to two as well.
I've done a fair bit of watch photography. I've used natural light outside or a small white light tent. Depends on the look you are going for. Light tent is very sterile and more documentitive.

Can't post any examples right now as on my phone. I'll try to later on.

did these for a client, some with a light tent and some with the cloths rack with sheets draped over (before I got the light tent).

Make sure you have enough light and dark surfaces to interact with the reflections. In the light tent I had the 'roof' and the front where the camera is with black fabric and the rest white, using two speed lights.

The amount of dust and marks the camera picks up, also tiny scratches not normally noticeable. Fair bit of post touching up, and maybe get some white fabric gloves and a dusting brush.

They were on a piece of perspex used to display watches for retail, botched onto a home made stand.

To note, one watch had a white face that kept showing as blue in the photo, works out that the glass had a slight think that was really visible when lit!

TWL0234-B.jpegWL1557-A.jpegWL1557-B.jpeg

A dedicated (Life size 1:1) macro lens helps get closer. I find using light from a window is good enough and move the watch around to reduce reflections. A tripod is a must to get the best image quality - low noise, slow shutter speed with smaller aperture to increase depth of field.

Some photos of my watches I took recently - the middle two and last photos were taken with natural light from a window. [The last AP Royal Oak Offshore was taken in a shop]

49026169727_bb2000fb10_o.jpg

49029683597_f1835b794a_o.jpg

48956808828_6367c68af7_o.jpg

48956808838_13d55943c3_o.jpg

42344576721_ed773b5976_o.jpg

Last edited:
A dedicated (Life size 1:1) macro lens helps get closer. I find using light from a window is good enough and move the watch around to reduce reflections. A tripod is a must to get the best image quality - low noise, slow shutter speed with smaller aperture to increase depth of field.

Some photos of my watches I took recently - the middle two and last photos were taken with natural light from a window. [The last AP Royal Oak Offshore was taken in a shop]

49026169727_bb2000fb10_o.jpg

49029683597_f1835b794a_o.jpg

48956808828_6367c68af7_o.jpg

48956808838_13d55943c3_o.jpg

42344576721_ed773b5976_o.jpg
Nice pics, and I really like the Omega :)

Back