Wrong power cable with EOS 6D from Currys

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
I'm in the UK. I just got a Canon EOS 6D from Currys. It has a two pin power cable instead of a UK cable. I contacted Canon support specifying the camera serial and details of the content of my package; they say Currys is an official retailer and that I'm covered by the official Canon warranty and that I should request the right cable from Currys. On contacting Currys they told me to bring back the entire package. I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else. I don't know if the package has been tampered with, or why the it has the wrong cable, but maybe that's what everybody gets, that's why I'm asking. The thing is, if this two pin cable is good (maybe designed for other EU countries) I might as well keep it as I have an adapter and travel frequently to countries where this cable would work as is. So I'm not sure about going through the hassle of returning this camera and waiting for another to be sent, specially given that they might just drop in any UK power cord in, in which case I have the cable that came with my Canon IXUS 230HS which might be as good. Any ideas?

It's against the law not to supply a properly fitted UK plug with either new or secondhand goods ... to protect yourself get it all replaced.

Ask currys to provide you with a new lead. However, the charger will work fine with a UK power lead with a 2 pin figure of 8 connector on the other end, of which I am sure you would already have around the house, to use in the meantime.

Ask currys to provide you with a new lead. However, the charger will work fine with a UK power lead with a 2 pin figure of 8 connector on the other end, of which I am sure you would already have around the house, to use in the meantime.

I do, the one that came with the IXUS 230HS I got three years ago. I don't know if there is any relevant difference between the cords in the long term. I'm just p***ed that I have to keep the camera packed in the mean time and might have to wait until they deliver a new one, just for this tiny detail, so annoying.

I do, the one that came with the IXUS 230HS I got three years ago. I don't know if there is any relevant difference between the cords in the long term. I'm just p***ed that I have to keep the camera packed in the mean time and might have to wait until they deliver a new one, just for this tiny detail, so annoying.

There is no difference in the cord. It's just a power cable. You can safely use that one in the mean time.

Currys/PC World have stores in Europe as well so you will probably find that somewhere in the warehouse it got mixed up and ended up in a UK store.

Currys/PC World have stores in Europe as well so you will probably find that somewhere in the warehouse it got mixed up and ended up in a UK store.

I did not know they operated out of the UK. On searching Google right after opening the package I found that grey imports often have the wrong cable which is what freaked me out and made me send the serials and description of the package content to Canon for them to check, but that seems fine.

I did not know they operated out of the UK. On searching Google right after opening the package I found that grey imports often have the wrong cable which is what freaked me out and made me send the serials and description of the package content to Canon for them to check, but that seems fine.

At the end of the day a Grey product is exactly the same as a non-grey product, except of course the cable and perhaps the manual. You have purchased through a UK Retailer and have a VAT receipt to prove that so you do not have a Grey product (Taxes have been paid).

In all honestly if you don't want the hassle of returning it, then just use the cable you have from your other camera. Next time you are near a Maplins you can pick up a cable for a couple of quid.

It is annoying, I know, but the leads will be the same and won't cause any issues, so it would seem silly for Currys to replace the whole package for the sake of one power lead - hopefully they'll just send you that instead.

I once bought a large TV (in the old days pre flatscreen), got it home and... no remote.

Phoned store and they told me to bring the whole lot back. Don't be daft I said. Do as you're told they said.

So, I returned to shop complete with 28" TV... and they give me a remote without me even needing to get it out of the boot. Not impressed.

Back