WTCC @ Donington Park

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
So this weekends 4 wheeled fix came in the form of WTCC @ Donington Park, probably one of my least favourite circuits in the country and because of the strange way that it was time tabled it involved a 4.15 start for the drive up and leaving the circuit at 3.00!?

The circuit being used was the Full circuit with the Melbourne Loop, why they dont always use this circuit i do not know. With some larger kerbs at the chicane it would make a stunning little bit of circuit. It features one of the most iconic motorsport images (to me) with the aeroplanes taking off behind the cars. And the final corner is a great spot for a variety of interesting images.

Anyway enough from me. Here are a few shots i either liked or am unsure about. As ever your feed back, comment and criticism is appreciated.

1. AlaIn Vader-Menu

WTCCDoningtonpark2011-3707-L.jpg

2. This is perhaps my favourite current touring car - love it!

WTCCDoningtonpark2011-3795-L.jpg

3. Perhaps the best of my aeroplace shots - very difficult to get a good shot.

WTCCDoningtonpark2011-3894-L.jpg

4. A bit minimalist? Not sure it works...

WTCCDoningtonpark2011-3960-L.jpg

5. Huff climbs into the car

WTCCDoningtonpark2011-4125-L.jpg

6. Volvo chases down the rest of the pack.

WTCCDoningtonpark2011-4823-L.jpg

Last edited:
7. Coronel past the fans

WTCCDoningtonpark2011-4902-L.jpg

8. Muller encourages Huff around the final corner

WTCCDoningtonpark2011-4689-L.jpg

9. Heavy on the Anochors - bit boring but i like the brakes.

WTCCDoningtonpark2011-4444-L.jpg

10. Muller pulls in to the winers spot.

WTCCDoningtonpark2011-4952-L.jpg

Interesting Nick... glad I gave it a miss though, thats a proper anti-social start time! Guessing its to do with Euro TV schedules, always seem to remember it was a bit odd.

Liking your people shots, the Chevvy blue works really well in those and the aircraft shot is great!

good set Nick (as usual).

Loving the aeroplane shot. I wish they would use this section of the circuit fot the BTCC. Can't decide whether or not I like #4 or not, maybe a bit too much empty tarmac.

I really like the look of the Volvo. It went pretty well in the 2nd race from what I saw. Favorite shot thogh has to be #10

Cheers

Keith

I like to leave on the friday for Donington to make the whole weekend easier, pity I had to work that weekend it looked a good meeting on the box.
Back on topic, very nice pics, the aero+car shot is great, and the Volvo one is different. Maybe Huff would like a copy of #8?

Nice shots Nick, I had a cracking weekend although im absolutely shattered, still we had a good weekend, much better than our results Showed (the skoda in the PTC) we only aimed to finish the races we entered.

that volvo is a lovely looking car!

Interesting Nick... glad I gave it a miss though, thats a proper anti-social start time! Guessing its to do with Euro TV schedules, always seem to remember it was a bit odd.

Liking your people shots, the Chevvy blue works really well in those and the aircraft shot is great!

I would say it was actually a great compromise actually. Touring cars starts later in the day so i can leave later but in reality i wouldn't get home until nearly midnight. I got home at 7 despite the M1's best efforts.

As an event i loved it, and actually enjoyed shooting Donington for the first time. One of my favourite events this year.

good set Nick (as usual).

Loving the aeroplane shot. I wish they would use this section of the circuit fot the BTCC. Can't decide whether or not I like #4 or not, maybe a bit too much empty tarmac.

I really like the look of the Volvo. It went pretty well in the 2nd race from what I saw. Favorite shot thogh has to be #10

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith,

I'm not sure why BTCC dont use it, its such a good bit of circuit, certainly better than the rest of the circuit. But it does make it a long lap.

I like to leave on the friday for Donington to make the whole weekend easier, pity I had to work that weekend it looked a good meeting on the box.
Back on topic, very nice pics, the aero+car shot is great, and the Volvo one is different. Maybe Huff would like a copy of #8?

haha i think he has a perfect picture in his head of what happened on 8! Certainly the Press conference was entertaining afterwards. Once again it seems Muller has ****ed off his team mates.

I wasn't able to do a full weekend unfortunately and frankly dont need one for the shots i need.

Nice shots Nick, I had a cracking weekend although im absolutely shattered, still we had a good weekend, much better than our results Showed (the skoda in the PTC) we only aimed to finish the races we entered.

that volvo is a lovely looking car!

Cheers, I think i was your car in the pitlane, Red Fabia? Interesting choice for short races. I would of thought (assuming its still a diesel) endurance was more the car's forte. Although i bet the torque is useful getting out of the hairpin!

Yep our development toy is the red fabia vrs diesel. We have a.big issue with power and torque, the remap hasn't.worked properly and its got a huge flat spot in the area that you need it for racing, hence the lack of pace. The suspension is pretty sorted but the lack of power is sending the driver to sleep!

Last edited:
Shot 3 with the plane is amazing, really well done. They are all very good!

Superb set as usual, favourites are; #2, #4, #7 & #10. #9 would be another one of my favourites but the front end looks a little soft compared to the back, and seeming the front end is where the brakes are glowing that probably wanted to be the centre of attention.

But a really top set, makes me want to visit Donington.

Hi Nick a wonderful set and a very high standard throughout.
My favourite is No3 super framing of the plane and car.
Then No5 the colour contrast of the helmet and the framing again.
Then No6 the panning and the colour contrasts.
The vision you have for the shots is excellent
Regards
Paul.

#3 and 9 are great, love the plane in the background.

That c30 really seems to be flying, anyone know the spec on it?

Yep our development toy is the red fabia vrs diesel. We have a.big issue with power and torque, the remap hasn't.worked properly and its got a huge flat spot in the area that you need it for racing, hence the lack of pace. The suspension is pretty sorted but the lack of power is sending the driver to sleep!

Well hopefully you get it sorted soon!

Shot 3 with the plane is amazing, really well done. They are all very good!

Thanks Baz!

Superb set as usual, favourites are; #2, #4, #7 & #10. #9 would be another one of my favourites but the front end looks a little soft compared to the back, and seeming the front end is where the brakes are glowing that probably wanted to be the centre of attention.

But a really top set, makes me want to visit Donington.

I agree, i did wonder if i should put that shot in as the car is sharp on the back. But sometimes i let the standards slip a bit to make up for content.

Comment and criticism is appreciated???

It's ALAIN MENU not ALAN MENU!

He's a foreigner don't-you-know?

Another great set Nicolas... :clap:

Haha, fair point. Looks like more of an Alan to be honest, looks like he should be driving a tractor not racing cars.

Cheers Petr

Hi Nick a wonderful set and a very high standard throughout.
My favourite is No3 super framing of the plane and car.
Then No5 the colour contrast of the helmet and the framing again.
Then No6 the panning and the colour contrasts.
The vision you have for the shots is excellent
Regards
Paul.

Thanks very much mate. Hope your keeping well and still taking your excellent wildlife shots!

Great set as usual by Nick, very talented! i do like the aeroplane shot, maybe portrait crop?
Overall splendid work :clap:

Cheers Dude. Might see you at TW footie today?

Love this set Nick, 3 and 4 works for me! Love that sort of style

Thanks Tom. Its good to see BSB back using the long circuit. Look forward to seeing a similar shot from you in a few months!

#3 and 9 are great, love the plane in the background.

That c30 really seems to be flying, anyone know the spec on it?

I think its a 1.6 turbo. But i don't think its a 5 pot anymore :(
They got a huge weight break for this round hence it suddenly shooting up the ranks.

they gave them a weight break of 60kg for donnington so that probably explains the sudden upturn in form

Exactly!

3 or 4 for me. But I would say that...

4 deffo works, patterns are nice.

Cheers Dude

they should do this in F1, would stop vet winning every time.!

I sort of agree. Although all you would end up doing is giving the teams that spend millions on development huge penalty weights and giving the HRTS huge breaks. Not really encouraging development which is more what F1 is about.

Awesome as per. Really impressive!

The races were great to watch on TV

Cheers, Yeah i thought the racing was great although it wasn't good to see Turkington getting barged off all the time!

Superb set! Loved it :clap::clap:.

If I may ask which lenses did you use? :thinking:

Congrats!

Cheers, Just two lenses used here. A 70-200 F2.8 Non IS with or without a 1.4tc and a 17-40. Used mostly on a 1d

Some great compositions there. I like the minimalist look!

Cheers

Really great set of shots. liking the variety.

Thanks, thats what i aim for. So glad i succeeded on this occasion!

Back