WTH do you mean… out of memory???

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

This is the second time this month that I'm getting this window popping' up
and this is a new iMac (Dec, 2017!!!) Got any idea?

out%20of%20memory.png

overview.png

It's impossible to tell from your screen shots. OPen activity monitor, order by memory usage and you will see which application is the culprit (I suspect C1) - then try restarting it or rebooting the mac.

OPen activity monitor, order by memory usage and you will see which application is the culprit (I suspect C1)

That's why I started activity monitor and did what you said but
CO was only at 17,6 MB??? An account was slightly higher!

I use CO every single day and some days very extensively…
no problem. Why those two times?

I should have taken the activity monitor window! :banghead:

Ah Sir will need the additional memory at a cost of (insert hugely inflated Apple figure here) to keep your Mac running optimally :D

There's been reports of High Sierra consuming 8gb memory on it's own with just a few normal apps open, safari etc.
Add into that Capture one which likes 8Gb plus and that's probably your issue.

Last edited:
It’ll be a memory leak on an process / application where it doesn’t release memory it frees up and grabs new memory next time.

Check all applications are updated to the latest versions and try, if you can, one at a time to see which out is causing it.

In the list of applications to "Force Quit" it should include High Sierra 10.13.3

Sorry Daniel, dyed in the tooth Windows user since it was an overlay on DOS - don't often get the chance to have a little fun!

need the additional memory

May "old" MacPro had 10GB RAM, and I ran CO + Affinity Photo +
Mail + Safari + Skype + all kinds of utilities (as I do now!) and it never
showed me that "Force quit" dialogue box!!! :confused:

Check all applications are updated to the latest versions

Yep, all updated!
Next time I will capture the Activity Monitor window.

May "old" MacPro had 10GB RAM, and I ran CO + Affinity Photo +
Mail + Safari + Skype + all kinds of utilities (as I do now!) and it never
showed me that "Force quit" dialogue box!!! :confused:

Was your last Mac running High Sierra? As said there are reports of this taking 8Gb memory with just basic apps open

Yup, you're just going to have to look at activity monitor. I assume your OS hard drive isn't full
Capture one is 8Gb minimum, depending on what you're doing it could take much more

This time, I caught it!

AM.png

16GB RAM would have been a good spec 8 - 10 years ago but in this day and age 16GB RAM just does not cut it.

Guilty as charged! :)

Ok gentlemen, heard you loud and clear… (y)
Just ordered 16GB more (2x 8GB) for 155.00 €. :sneaky:

Thanks everyone! :cool::cool::cool:

Where the hell did you buy your memory from for it to cost you that ?

Edit :- can't believe how much it's gone up since I got my Mac

Last edited:
burn it
buy a PC

I've been in Computers since 1977 and started out before PC's existed. I now have a 27" 5k IMac which I use for all my photography needs, I still have a PC which I hardly ever use now maybe just for doing my works paperwork etc.

I heard someone slag iMac screens off in the last few days and I have to be honest in my opinion my 5k Mac still blows away my PC monitor by far.

It's really down to a case of what you like is right for you. I'll stick with my Mac for photography and as I don't play games my pc can keep collecting dust.

Mine was from Crucial at the time I got my Mac, I think what you paid is okay juts hadn't realised memory has gone up so much in the last few years. When I got mine it was about £80 for what your getting.

Haven't kept up with prices since as my iMac has run faultless since I got it.

from Crucial

These too!

Like everything related to memory, prices are
going more downwards than otherwise!?!?!

Anyone else thinks it is too much? Maybe sug-
gest a cheaper supplier but not cheap products?

16GB RAM would have been a good spec 8 - 10 years ago but in this day and age 16GB RAM just does not cut it.
Eh? My Windows 10 desktop PC at home still has the 8GB I built it with and does not struggle.

My development machine at work which also runs WIndows 10 and had 8GB is also completely happy with that.

Eh? My Windows 10 desktop PC at home still has the 8GB I built it with and does not struggle.

My development machine at work which also runs WIndows 10 and had 8GB is also completely happy with that.

Meanwhile my 32 GB Win 10 machine (OK, it's a Mac running Win 10....) runs out of memory if I ask it to do hard stuff in Excel. It's almost like you need different specs of machines to do different things :D

That alone shouldnt be an issue but I bet there are lookups and pivots involved?

Yeah, there was a bunch of stuff - it's government data so it wasn't in the format I wanted. And obviously due to the size of the dataset I had to use Power Query to overcome the row limit.

I was surprised it ran out of memory though - I need to look into how Bootcamp sets the memory up. 64 bit Excel should be able to tear through that.

Back