X Box Backwards Compatibility

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Anybody know much about XBox games and what plays where?

I have a lovely Series X ( :D ). I was down town today and saw a copy of COD Ghosts for £3. This is on the backwards compatibility list ( List of backward-compatible games for Xbox One and Series X - Wikipedia ) but, well it doesn't work. It brings up a message that says "that game won't play here" and directs me to xbox.com/backcompat - that's a somewhat confusing link :) but leads you in a big circle. When you eventually break out of it you find that MS are perfectly happy to sell COD Ghosts to play on the Series X for £54.99.

Anybody know what's going on?

Of course I'll get a refund tomorrow but it would be awfully nice to be able to buy games with confidence that they are going to work.

(BTW: no comments about the wisdom of running a mediocre shooter from nearly a decade ago on state of the art hardware pls :D I've played exactly 2 COD games in my life - the original when it launched and then enhanced version of Black Ops Cold War on the series X. Loved them both. I have 18 years of back catalogue to get through.)

I’ve still got my copy of Call Of Duty 2 from the XBox360 release day. Still play, and enjoy it, on my Series X. :)

I thought that all XBox titles were fully b/c aside from those that use Kinect. Did it install the game or just crash out when you put the disc in? My first thought was that your disc might be an import but, afaik, the X is region free anyway.

I’ve still got my copy of Call Of Duty 2 from the XBox360 release day. Still play, and enjoy it, on my Series X. :)

I thought that all XBox titles were fully b/c aside from those that use Kinect. Did it install the game or just crash out when you put the disc in? My first thought was that your disc might be an import but, afaik, the X is region free anyway.

Thanks - yes, region coding crossed my mind too. Especially as the error message says "here" but apparently it's more complicated than that.

I went back to the shop today where the very knowledgeable guys explained it to me: all XBox One titles work and *most* 360 work (apart from the K'nect ones, obvs). However, Ghosts was released twice - there's a 360 version and a One version. It's the same game but relaunched for the One launch. And....the 360 version doesn't run on a series X. He further explained the complexities of Modern Warfare (the remastered one came out before the other and uses the same characters but is nothing similar....). I got my money back and paid him some more for a copy of MW which is updating itself right now.

Thanks - yes, region coding crossed my mind too. Especially as the error message says "here" but apparently it's more complicated than that.

I went back to the shop today where the very knowledgeable guys explained it to me: all XBox One titles work and *most* 360 work (apart from the K'nect ones, obvs). However, Ghosts was released twice - there's a 360 version and a One version. It's the same game but relaunched for the One launch. And....the 360 version doesn't run on a series X. He further explained the complexities of Modern Warfare (the remastered one came out before the other and uses the same characters but is nothing similar....). I got my money back and paid him some more for a copy of MW which is updating itself right now.
Got a few Xbox games on sale here if you’re interested?

Ditto, I heard / read the same thing.
I haven't bagged an Xbox Series X yet as I can't be bothered paying over the top for one or trying to compete with people over low stock counts.

I can't be bothered paying over the top for one or trying to compete with people over low stock counts.

Me neither. They came into stock briefly at Game as long as you bought their Game Pass bundle and took interest free. It's not the way I would have chosen to buy it but it's not bad value.

And 3 months on, CEX will still pay me more for it than I'm paying.

But if you want a Series S, Amazon have them at list price with next day delivery.

Back