X-Pan update

AliB

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Thanks to lensflare I have a Hasselblad X-Pan to play with for a little while. I popped a 400ASA Neopan into it and off I went. I shot any old rubbish because I wanted to try it out and not worried at all about the results.

I have found this is a useful way to approach the first films though any camera because it avoids frustration when it does not go right ;)

So I took the first film out it tonight and off to my little basement developing centre (AKA the utility room) Useful because it has a sink and no window. Perfect!

I was a little dubious about this one because a) I've not done any 35mm B&W for ages and though I can get MF film onto a Patterson tank spiral I did wonder how 35mm would go. Not a problem second attempt and on it went. Not too difficult at all. In went the developer and a bit of shimmying about ensued. Now this is where the other dubious bit b) comes in. I have not developed a B&W in some time and I was not too sure about the efficacy of the developer that had been lying about over the summer even if it was in a black bottle.

Out came the dev, wash, wash, wash and in went the fix..........then more wash, wash, wash......the moment of truth. How would it look.........would I have the exposures anywhere near right, would it look all nice and full of tones albeit the wrong way round................................

No. It was purple. Magenta even. :help:

I've made some fresh chemicals, loaded up the X-Pan again and off I go again.....:bonk:

It IS fun though, I'll get it right in the end.:D

I've had purple negs, it was with Kodak 320TX though, it sent my fixer pink.
I hate kodak...

I think its fixer related, maybe your fixer if not yet exhausted, is a bit weak, or outdated or something.
I'd re-fix with good fresh fixer stock...:)

All my negs are purple... :thinking:

Wouldn't mind having an x-pan just a little bit jealous :geek:

Made up all new fresh chemicals so will have another bash, hopefully over the weekend though I DO need to go and get my hair cut tomorrow, the dragged through the hedge backwards look is wearing a bit thin!

Also discovered how to break into 35mm film container using..........yup a tin opener :)

I just bash it against stuff :geek:

(I know its a geek smily but it reminds me of cleetus the slack jawed photographer)

lol, there is nothing handy to bash it against! The worktops are all rounded edge but the tip opener works a treat, just wedge the edge of the container into the tin opener and give it a wrench.

Not a single pic today, dark as night and had to go and get a haircut but will try to get out tomorrow :)

Another washout today :shake:

Took the dogs out this morning and got soaked, looked at the clouds and flat as a pancake, just dull grey and wet.

Wednesday will be the next attempt. grrr

Ali - flat lighting actually works quite well with B&W you know, especially for those old steam mills...no harsh contrast to block up the stone (BLOCK UP the stone.....)

:coat:

Does the X-pan force you to wind the film all the way back into the cassette? When I use 35mm, I leave a bit of leader sticking out. Then I can cut it square and start in into the reel in the light and transfer it to the changing bag to load up. When you get it all on, you can easily tear the film along the slot of the cassette.

Steve.

I borrowed an X-Pan for a few weeks from a friend Hell of a camera, when I had enough money to buy one & another lens they stopped making them. Never felt the urge after that disappointment but see a couple of MkII are coming for sale now. Maybe time to re-think

Does the X-pan force you to wind the film all the way back into the cassette?
Steve.

Yes it does Steve, it was a tad disconcerting when I heard it wind back and you get that little "POP" as it disappears and the motor stops........

"OK so how do I get the bleeding thing out now?" went off and rummaged for a tin opener.............................:D

Simon there is flat lighting and too blooming dark lighting, absolutely chucked it down at the weekend but there is tomorrow and it's frosty and I will be up early because it's my day off and I'm off out togging. I also thought of an interesting twist on your "dark satanic mills" theme" Oh yes, it will be mine...............:wacky:

lol, there is nothing handy to bash it against! The worktops are all rounded edge but the tip opener works a treat, just wedge the edge of the container into the tin opener and give it a wrench.

Not a single pic today, dark as night and had to go and get a haircut but will try to get out tomorrow :)

I use the edge of the scissors :D

washouts and days with flat light suck :confused:

Getting there!

Shot some of the stuff I wanted to but the roll is not quite finished yet so will try to finish it off today.

Switched to HP5 since I discovered that neopan is C41.................that will be why the negs came out purple then! Helps if you use the right chemistry....apparently. :)

Neopan 400-CN is C41, standard Neopan 400 Professional is normal B&W Chemistry...

No prizes for guessing how I know this of by heart now :LOL:

Yeah, I bought a dozen of the blasted things.

I now have 2 very nice sets of magenta negs :)

Won't do that again. lol

In fairness, the 400-CN i actually quite a nice BnW film, I think I prefer it to XP2 as far as C41 BnW film goes. It's handy to have a couple of rolls with you if you're away from base and want to shoot BnW but still impatient to see the results of your shooting -just throw it at the local Boots Minilab and pick up half decent proof pictures in a hour! I've never actually had the brass neck to start developing BnW in a hotel room, though I'm well aware it used to be a regular part of news 'togging BITD...

I've never actually had the brass neck to start developing BnW in a hotel room, though I'm well aware it used to be a regular part of news 'togging BITD...

Good grief, can you imagine the outcry if you started doing that, they would definately have you down as a terrorist! A camera AND chemicals!

I'll hold on the the Neopan and will happily sling it into Boots or the Kodak developing place in the Trafford Centre. :)

I didn't get my shots today, shopping and powerwashing the paths at home tool precence. Tomorrow I will have to get out, the suspense is killing me and I have mother in law coming for dinner too. Just make sure I don't mix up the fix and the bisto and I'll be fine :)

In fairness, the 400-CN i actually quite a nice BnW film, I think I prefer it to XP2 as far as C41 BnW film goes. It's handy to have a couple of rolls with you if you're away from base and want to shoot BnW but still impatient to see the results of your shooting -just throw it at the local Boots Minilab and pick up half decent proof pictures in a hour! I've never actually had the brass neck to start developing BnW in a hotel room, though I'm well aware it used to be a regular part of news 'togging BITD...

I WANNA GO, that sounds like a funky as idea :D:DD:D

Might just be heading for the utility room later :)

Got to make Sunday Dinner (nom nom nom :))

Back