Xlr wiring?

Neil bare with me and if you are not sorted I'll come back over the next day or so I can't remember a thing, sorry bro it's the middle of the night i'm night shooting foxes in my garden . Lol tried to grab a nap, bloody overslept don't know up from down at the moment. Cub already in garden I feel like i've been in a car crash;) I've got a 24 stereo jack to 24 xlr I made in the studio :banghead:

I know can get you there mate just brain dead right now and worried I'll tell you something wrong, forgive me buddy,I don't know what day it is right now .

Neil if Andrew's links above haven't helped look for details on" BALANCED" wiring in a studio and also TIP RING SLEEVE TRS refers to your jack plug it's the three sections at the base of plug. that make the connections and also the three lugs you solder too.
I'm worried if I go further I might get something wrong. Studios ( music) run balanced wiring on mic leads, un balanced on say guitar leads and of course you can have mono and stereo jacks.

one can also have stereo mics . I think within all that is where the wiring confusion might lie. Mate sorry I can't be more help, Lol all the leads I made still work it's yonks since I've dome this or had to repair anything, I'd hate meself if I got something wrong, for you .

The above might just give you enough info to sort it your self though. ???

That photo is very poor - but I'll have a stab....

The key difference here is that you are using a mono microphone with a balanced xlr output running into a stereo unbalanced recording device. You don't need to understand the difference between balanced and unbalanced - but you will need an understanding of how the different plugs are wired by convention.

Conventionally, the XLR connector is designed to have a live, neutral and ground to carry a single signal between devices. If you were using a cd player in stereo, you would have 2 xlr outputs, 1 left and 1 right. The 3.5mm connector is of TRS type - what this means, and you can see in your photo, is Tip Ring Sleeve, looking at your photo you can see the black isolator rings (2) thus giving 3 distinct parts of the plug. Your recording device is stereo and therefore is expecting the following from a TRS connector, live signal 1 on the Tip, live signal 2 on the ring and a common negative on the sleeve. This will allow 2 separate signals to be transmitted on a single plug, in this case a left and right channel.

In your set up, as you are using a mono microphone, there is only one signal to be recorded. Your plug is wired so that the ground is the sleeve and the signal (live) from the xlr has been combined on both the tip and ring of the TRS plug. This means that when recording the device sees the same input on both L&R channels in your recording device.

That photo is very poor - but I'll have a stab....

The key difference here is that you are using a mono microphone with a balanced xlr output running into a stereo unbalanced recording device. You don't need to understand the difference between balanced and unbalanced - but you will need an understanding of how the different plugs are wired by convention.

Conventionally, the XLR connector is designed to have a live, neutral and ground to carry a single signal between devices. If you were using a cd player in stereo, you would have 2 xlr outputs, 1 left and 1 right. The 3.5mm connector is of TRS type - what this means, and you can see in your photo, is Tip Ring Sleeve, looking at your photo you can see the black isolator rings (2) thus giving 3 distinct parts of the plug. Your recording device is stereo and therefore is expecting the following from a TRS connector, live signal 1 on the Tip, live signal 2 on the ring and a common negative on the sleeve. This will allow 2 separate signals to be transmitted on a single plug, in this case a left and right channel.

In your set up, as you are using a mono microphone, there is only one signal to be recorded. Your plug is wired so that the ground is the sleeve and the signal (live) from the xlr has been combined on both the tip and ring of the TRS plug. This means that when recording the device sees the same input on both L&R channels in your recording device.

Thanks for that, yes the picture is poor. The wiring at the XLR connector is this.... ground/sheild to terminal 1&3.... both signal wires to terminal 2. The stereo jack connector is wired (what i would call normally) ie. Red to tip... Blue to ring..... sheild to ground. When wired like this everything works fine. l have seen pictures on the web of wiring that is similar but using two resistors for some reason.

Thanks for that, yes the picture is poor. The wiring at the XLR connector is this.... ground/sheild to terminal 1&3.... both signal wires to terminal 2. The stereo jack connector is wired (what i would call normally) ie. Red to tip... Blue to ring..... sheild to ground. When wired like this everything works fine. l have seen pictures on the web of wiring that is similar but using two resistors for some reason.

Am I correct in making the deduction that in the XLR red and blue (but in the photo the wires are red and white) are at terminal 2? If so this all makes sense... and it is wired as it should be to work in that your output at your recording device will show the same signal for both channels.

The resistors may be used by some as your microphone uses a battery iirc for phantom power - the resistors are used to avoid clipping too easily, but it's not really necessary imo unless you find your levels are out of range really easily - you can combat this by reducing gain etc. but it all starts to get technical and honestly, and I don't mean this in a rude way, for your applications it's not worth getting all hot and bothered about.

Back