XMP files (reprise)

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I am losing track of my [RAW] photographs. I use Lightroom (latest version, from Creative Cloud) and I don't like using it to move files around my hard drive but if I use Windows Explorer to move the fiiles then Lightroom loses track and I have to get it to find the new location. This was OK at first but the files are getting so numerous I am having trouble keeping the XMP files in the right places. I know i can get round this by moving everything to DNG but DNG's lack of support from 'instant' display programs is limiting for a down-and-dirty quick display of pictures.

I know this has been covered many times but humour me just this once: If I convert to DNG but retain the RAW information then edit the picture do I still get a sidecar file?

To sum up, without using JPG exclusively, what is the best way of not having sidecar files after edit?

May I ask why you are moving your files around as frequently as you seem to be? Perhaps the solution is to arrange a workflow that doesn't require the moving of files..?

Anthony.

May I ask why you are moving your files around as frequently as you seem to be? Perhaps the solution is to arrange a workflow that doesn't require the moving of files..?

Anthony.

Yep, I'm wondering this too...

Anthony.
And why don't you like using Lightroom to move your files?
If I need to move a folder I select Library mode and move the files from there.
That way any location changes are automatically registered and no further updating to LR is needed.

I personally won't touch DNG since it's an unnecessary additional process.

Last edited:
Personally, I use lightroom to manage the master catalogue (basically all files in a single tree structure - yyyy / yyyy-mm / yyyy-mm-dd-shoot description. I rename the files on import to lightroom with the format - yyyymmdd-camera model-original filename. I then create a subfolder where the better shots go and keyword and develop those. If the files need to go elsewhere I have some export presets to semi-automate the process.

To the OP, a sure way of getting yourself into a knot is to move your files around the comuter to various locations. Try your best to avoid this.

I convert all of mine to DNG on import into LR, then any editing is packaged within the DNG without the need of the XMP side car. You just need to update the metadata to include any edits you have made if you send the DNG to anyone. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here!

As for keeping track, that's what LR is for! It's so easy to move things around within LR, it's harder to keep track if you 'cheat' on LR!

I convert all of mine to DNG on import into LR, then any editing is packaged within the DNG without the need of the XMP side car. You just need to update the metadata to include any edits you have made if you send the DNG to anyone. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here!

As for keeping track, that's what LR is for! It's so easy to move things around within LR, it's harder to keep track if you 'cheat' on LR!

There is the advantage of DNG being a single package, but since I back up online, any edit to the metadata in a dng triggers an upload of the whole file. if I choose to amend a keyword that affects many files, that is a massive amount of re-uploading. Whereas using xmp, the file sizes are tiny.

Back