Yashica 35G Rangefinder - Pad of Death.

Name
fred (frederick)
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just acquired the Yashica 35G rangefinder, and I was told that it is working fine. But on looking on the internet I have found reference to Pad of Death. There are two conflicting views : A) when the fault is present, there is no noise when winding on the film. B) when the fault is present there is a loud clunk. So which is correct ?:help:
I have had a look at Youtube, and 2 videos show that when POD is present there IS a loud click, and the shutter button eventually returns to the 'up' position.
The camera has its first film loaded and everything seems to be working fine.Obviously I will not know if POD is present until I have had the film developed.
So I am looking forward to comment re this problem with POD.
Thanks in anticipation.

Sure you've already searched over the web, but just in case you didn't, here a link where explains the POD and how do the repairs:

Replacing the 'Pad of Death'

Here a photo of an owner where shows the POD:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/csaveanu/3800705784/

"The infamous pad of death is a small piece of hard rubber that, with time, may desintegrate leading to failure to operate for the camera."

Hope this help you if the problem appears. :)

I have just acquired the Yashica 35G rangefinder, and I was told that it is working fine. But on looking on the internet I have found reference to Pad of Death. There are two conflicting views : A) when the fault is present, there is no noise when winding on the film. B) when the fault is present there is a loud clunk. So which is correct ?:help:
I have had a look at Youtube, and 2 videos show that when POD is present there IS a loud click, and the shutter button eventually returns to the 'up' position.
The camera has its first film loaded and everything seems to be working fine.Obviously I will not know if POD is present until I have had the film developed.
So I am looking forward to comment re this problem with POD.
Thanks in anticipation.

I gave up trying to work out which was which, I've still got one that makes a clunk but the camera works properly and the clunk doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, run a quick test roll through just to make sure and if it throws up doubts get it returned ASAP.

My 35GT makes a loud clunk when I wind it on and it works perfectly. My understanding has always been that it's supposed to make this noise.

My 35GT makes a loud clunk when I wind it on and it works perfectly. My understanding has always been that it's supposed to make this noise.

Mine makes the loud clunk and works correctly too... I never did fathom out if it was SUPPOSED to sound like that or not, but when it worked, I just got on with it and stopped fretting. :shrug:

Mine makes the loud clunk and works correctly too... I never did fathom out if it was SUPPOSED to sound like that or not, but when it worked, I just got on with it and stopped fretting. :shrug:

(y)

Thank you all for the interest, and the links, which I will have a look at later. A self repair would be beyond me. From what I have seen on Youtube the clunk should be there, but there are others showing their Yashica 35 electros and how to use them, and when they wind on the film it is a lovely smooth noise, (no clunk) like the one I have. Just will have to wait and see how the first roll turns out.
I gather that if there is a defect then the shutter fires at only 1/500 sec. I think the logical step would be to use the camera as though it is working correctly; then for the last 3-4 shots use a light meter and use the appropriate aperture for 1/500 sec.

or, take 2 shots at each location, one at an appropriate aperture for 1/500 and one that isn't... that way, you may get 2 good shots of each location or you may get 1 shot and one munged one. But at least you should get SOMETHING at each position.

TheBigYin, Yes, your suggestion makes sense, so I have started to take one shot with the camera (assuming it is working correctly), and a second shot using an exposure meter - using the aperture corresponding to 1/500 sec., so I will see what turns out.
Back to the 'clunk' noise, yesterday I visited Yashica Guy's site, and he says that when the clunk can be heard it is an indication that the rubber pad is failing. !! I suppose he is the expert on Yashicas.

I have a late GTN which actually has a solid pad, rather than one made out of a material that disintegrates (Yashica finally worked out it might not have been the best idea). It makes that dull clunk noise, and displays no POD symptoms.

I also had a GSN which I sold on here, which also exhibited no POD symptoms (and metered accurately) and I think it had the dull clunk as well.

The one I have acquired is one of the earlier models as it has the sculptured/cut away recess on he bottom plate, ie at the left hand side below the film rewind knob, so I doubt it will have a solid pad as freecom2 had in his.

Back