Yashica 635 - repair help!

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Good afternoon all.

I've had this a few months now, and have used it for a couple of films, and noticed the release mechanism for the top spool has been very tight.

Anyway, I gave it a pull earlier after finishing this latest one (in the snow today) and the end plate has snapped clean off, rendering it useless until repaired. Does anyone know of a place (in the UK) that could fix this or show me how to do it? I'm happy to replace the whole part if needs be, but need to find one and I can't see any.

12509497_10153801877335928_6399511313530650918_n.jpg

12494942_10153801877330928_3593217871799257576_n.jpg

Cheers. :)

As you've sheared the head of the screw off can you grip the remaining thread with pliers to unscrew it? Assuming you can get a grip of you'll just then need to pick up another bolt/washer with the right diameter to replace it.

As you've sheared the head of the screw off can you grip the remaining thread with pliers to unscrew it? Assuming you can get a grip of you'll just then need to pick up another bolt/washer with the right diameter to replace it.

I'll see if I can grab it somehow. I might have to file / saw with something very small indeed to unscrew it. :)

In addition, I've found there's 2 springs inside. If this isn't from the factory, I'm not surprised I've struggled to pull it out! :LOL:

There should be springs because the knob pulls out to remove the 35mm then returns back to the original location (I'm guessing because I've got film in my 635 so can't open to check)

In addition, I've found there's 2 springs inside. If this isn't from the factory, I'm not surprised I've struggled to pull it out! :LOL:
:thinking: Are there meant to be two springs? It isn't one spring that's snapped? That scenario can cause stiffness/jamming.

:thinking: Are there meant to be two springs? It isn't one spring that's snapped? That scenario can cause stiffness/jamming.

There's definitely 2 complete springs, but it's incredibly difficult to pull the nob out (fnarr). It feels like it'll operate much easier without one of them which is a permanently-closed one and interferes with the other.

12584156_10153911266117915_331562169_n.jpg

12528027_10153911266202915_331716467_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm... Could one spring have been replaced by two some time in the past?
Hopefully someone on here will know what's supposed to be in there. :thinking:

Hmmm... Could one spring have been replaced by two some time in the past?
Hopefully someone on here will know what's supposed to be in there. :thinking:

It certainly appears that way! Either way, I'll sort it.

the tight spring looks like a tension spring and the loose one a pusher spring.

that wont help tho..

The first spring is a compression spring. The purpose of the second spring eludes me.

Failing access to a repair manual with pictures, a parts list or anything else on line, can you try and analyse the action of the part - how it operates, eg pull & twist, etc - which might indicate the properties that any springs present should have?

Coil springs are generic items and can be sourced by properties (tension, compression, torsion) & dimensions, once you know what's wanted ...

Back