Yashica TLR service

Edit My Images
No
About half-way through last week, on holiday in Berlin* the shutter blades started getting sticky on the Yashica D.. eventually siezing altogether.

Two options as I see it..
  1. Some quick searching suggests that if I can find (or make) the appropriate tool to unscrew the front and rear elements a few drops of lighter fluid should clear 40 years of gunk and free the shutter blades. Is it as easy as this sounds? Can anyone lend me the required lens removal tool? In all other respects the camera is performing flawlessly.
  2. After 40 years it's probably due a CLA, it was such a bargain that I could probably afford it and still be quids in compared to what they sometimes go for. Any reccomendations on who could do the CLA as the recommendations online are mostly US based?

* for anyone visiting the city, take the U-Bahn to Sophie-Charlotten Platz and look out for Foto Ackman (directly above the station, just 10 yards from the entrance). Keep your hands in your pockets and leave your wallet behind. There must be 200+ film cameras on the shelves (120 - Rollei 6x6, Pentacon 6, RB67 Pro S, RZ 67 Pro II, couple of folders and odds'n'sodds; 35mm SLRs and rangefinders - Leica, Fed, Kiev, Canon, Nikon, Rollei, Pentax, Minox, Praktica, several east european/soviet makes I'd never heard of, etc). A couple of hundred yards away is Photo Hess with perhaps twenty old folders in excellent condition.

Last edited:
According to Kyocera who made Yashica cameras, the official service centre in the UK for any Yashica or Contax equipment is Alpha Digital Services,

http://www.alphadigitalservices.co.uk/

It might be worth emailing them to see if they still do services for your TLR.

Thanks John.. I think I see the tool required.

Thanks Samuel.

I dropped (don't ask) my Yashica 124G and sent it to http://www.newtonellis.com/ who fixed it and serviced.

I have had a couple of cameras fixed by them and been happy with the service could be worth dropping them an email

I have an old Yashica MAT tlr that I've not touched for a decade, I'd be interested in seeing how much a service would cost.

Knikki, do you mind me asking how much the repair set you back?

Miles Whitehead services them, although I think he's an all-round serviceman rather than a Yashica specific one. That place sounds incredible, wish I could go!

Thanks everyone.. several places for me to try. A generalist might be a useful option as I've also have a Nikon SLR with a loose mirror assembly sat on the shelf that I've promised to get back into use.

Just to correct my typo, it's Foto Akman. Well worth a U-bahn ticket if you're in the city.. I can't believe I walked out with wallet unmolested.. I think I was blinded by the selection..

I have an old Yashica MAT tlr that I've not touched for a decade, I'd be interested in seeing how much a service would cost.

Knikki, do you mind me asking how much the repair set you back?

When they fixed mine they replaced all the light seals as well as fix the focusing etc I think it cost me £95 or just over £100 I THINK.

It was about a year or two ago and I can't remember the actual price.

When they fixed mine they replaced all the light seals as well as fix the focusing etc I think it cost me £95 or just over £100 I THINK.

It was about a year or two ago and I can't remember the actual price.

'The light seals' - is that the thin string-like thing around the back? That's the only thing I found that resembles a light seal when I looked carefully, but I'd be interested to know if that is indeed it.

Back