In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
A few quickly processed images from my trip to Lapland
1st attempt at "Landscapes" so
Say what you mean & mean what you say (y)
I will bore you with more "Christmassy stuff" when its processed.

Sun up over Yllas
Sun-up.jpg

A small hill and a few trees
hill_trees.jpg

A "sad" Reindeer herders hut ( Its a bit blue :D)

Hut.jpg

Just trying to be a bit "artistic" and failing miserably
Snow10.jpg

No sooner was the sun up then it was going down
a veiw over Akaslompolo Lake ( frozen )

sun-set.jpg

The problem with shots 2 - 5 is that the 1st one is so good it shows them up :LOL:

A very nice set I think - especially number 1 which is outstanding :)

oohh I want to go there! That first one is like something out of a fairy tale :clap: love it and the rest ain't half bad either!:D

I bet you had a great time! :)

Cheers Donna yep we did even though it didn't actually snow :( whilst we were there, it fluctuated between 0oC & a chilly -20oC Brrrr :)

The problem with shots 2 - 5 is that the 1st one is so good it shows them up :LOL:

:LOL: Thanks Bongo! its appriciated (y)

could you use a tripod? and how long was your shutter speed on most of those shots.

did you take photos at -20c?, i really like that first shot. and do you mean have two camera bags and keep the camera inthe camera bag not in your coat

afraid I have to agree
#1 is a stunner
the rest are merely very good!

could you use a tripod? and how long was your shutter speed on most of those shots.

did you take photos at -20c?, i really like that first shot. and do you mean have two camera bags and keep the camera inthe camera bag not in your coat

Yep a camera bag within a cooler / thermal bag, the sort of thing you take to the beach in hot weather, they work both ways. ( but how do they know ? :D ) I deliberately left the EXIF Data on the pictures ( as I used a wide range of exposure settings and some were "bracketed" as well)
if your not sure how to retreive it then try downloading an EXIF veiwer from
http://www.opanda.com/
No Reason why you couldn't use a tripod just make sure that its stable in the snow as the top layer can be a bit loose
Oh and about -15 was the coldest I used the camera

afraid I have to agree
#1 is a stunner
the rest are merely very good!

Thanks Mike its appriciated (y)

I like number 5 the best the sky looks great.

Thanks simmo (y)

cobra thanks for your help, how long did the batteries last and did you keep the camera in the cool bag while out or in your jacket

cobra thanks for your help, how long did the batteries last and did you keep the camera in the cool bag while out or in your jacket

I changed the Battery every day, before leaving the hotel though I am sure it would have lasted longer, I didn't want to get caught out, the rest stayed in the warm in the Hotel
The camera was always in the thermal bag unless shooting pictures

The colours in the first one are really eye-catching and it's a good composition. I agree with the others that it's the best of the bunch. I quite like the one with the hut too but would have liked to have seen more of its surroundings in the shot.

Fasinating looking place, I fancy a trip now :)

Like everyone else loving no.1!!! What goes on in a 'Reindeer Hut'???

The colours in the first one are really eye-catching and it's a good composition. I agree with the others that it's the best of the bunch. I quite like the one with the hut too but would have liked to have seen more of its surroundings in the shot.

Fasinating looking place, I fancy a trip now :)

Thanks for the feed back Alex. I take your point about the hut, too (y) Its not a crop and I don't think I have another, but I will check

-15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does your brass monkey still have it's balls?

Kudos to you sir for just braving that!

Love #1 but would crop off the track from the bottom just to tidy everything up.

Hopefully off to Sweden in the new year as well as Scotland so I may get some snow shots yet! This has just served to further whet my appetite!

Glad you're back safe Chris, looks like a dream of a place and I trust you had a great time ;)

Like everyone else loving no.1!!! What goes on in a 'Reindeer Hut'???
Thanks for the feed back (y)
These are spread around for the reindeer herders to spend the night when rounding up their herds, or they carry a teepee if they are not "wealthy" enough to own a hut or two. The snowmobile apperantly has been a great boon they can now do in a day what took a week or so before

Loosk like a lovely place to visit !! Gorgeous sunset and I just love snow. 1 is the clear winner for me, would like to see my eye drawn into the shot a little, but reckon you may have already been standing in a snow drift by the looks of it !

Cheers, Chewy (y) I take your point also, but as you rightly summised I was indeed stood in a foot or three :D

-15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does your brass monkey still have it's balls?

Kudos to you sir for just braving that!

Love #1 but would crop off the track from the bottom just to tidy everything up.

Hopefully off to Sweden in the new year as well as Scotland so I may get some snow shots yet! This has just served to further whet my appetite!

Thanks Gandhi your comments are appriciated (y)
Yep I see what you mean about a "tidy up" thanks.
BTW that "track" is the main through road :D
BTW I did hear a couple of brass monkey's asking if anyone had seen a welder :D
Its a different cold, it was -2 when we landed back in the UK and it felt far colder than -15!!
Hope you make it to Sweden, a little tip, if you haven't been somewhere that cold before, a decent set of thermal underware and a decent balaclava or hat will pay dividens.

Glad you're back safe Chris, looks like a dream of a place and I trust you had a great time ;)

Thanks Alby yep it was a great place, the window for "natural light" was quite small though. So you have to be quick to make the most of it

Cheers Dimitri (y)
by popular demand then :D

Sun-up1.jpg

No 1. Without a Doubt...thats next years christmas cards sorted for you! LOL.

:LOL: Cheers I hadn't thought of that but its a great idea (y)

whilst we were there, it fluctuated between 0oC & a chilly -20oC Brrrr :)

Hmm that looks liek the place i stayed when i went to Lapland ! sounds familiar too lol although i think the place i went may have been called Levi, temperature reached a barmy -37C while i was out there though, warmest day was -25C lol so you had it mild ;)

Shots are stunning though, the light (when you get it) is superb isnt it ? :)

Hmm that looks liek the place i stayed when i went to Lapland ! sounds familiar too lol although i think the place i went may have been called Levi, temperature reached a barmy -37C while i was out there though, warmest day was -25C lol so you had it mild ;)

Shots are stunning though, the light (when you get it) is superb isnt it ? :)

Thanks for the feedback Ian its appriciated (y)

Yep the light is / was great, albeit very short lived, but on the plus side you get a lay in and still catch the dawn :D

Hmm how can you tell whether its the same place or not? it all looked the same to me :LOL:

You certainly did get the cold! though when we got back to the Uk it was -2 and it felt a lot colder here than there

LMAO place i stayed was definitely called Levi, Yllas is about 40k away i think (according to t'interweb anyway). I have some pics form my old nikon coolpix cos i didnt have a dslr when i went, one shows -26 on the temp guage of a hotel lol i loved the place though, have to say, and if i could go and avoid the tacky father xmas stuff i think i would enjoy it more. And yes, when we got back it wasnt even below freezing but immediately felt a lot colder here than it did at -36 ! Was drier cold (if that makes sense) i did have 3 layers of trousers and 4 to 5 layers on top most of the time though lol

LMAO place i stayed was definitely called Levi, Yllas is about 40k away i think (according to t'interweb anyway). I have some pics form my old nikon coolpix cos i didnt have a dslr when i went, one shows -26 on the temp guage of a hotel lol i loved the place though, have to say, and if i could go and avoid the tacky father xmas stuff i think i would enjoy it more.

Yeah I agree about the tacky stuff, but if you go after Xmas ( according to the reps anyway) its all ski orientated, but that sounds a little dangerous to me though:D,
BTW did you find the "natives" shy?

Cracking shot (No1) and looks even better in crop (without the road).

Nice work!

Thanks Andy (y)

Back