Beginner YN-560 III Vs IV ?

Name
scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all :)
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 560 lll and the 560 IV (but in simple terms :D)
Also I would like to use a flash off camera, now I have seen the 602,603 come up alot so would I need a pair or just one for the camera as the 560III is built in o_O
A list of bits I need would be great if anyone has bought the same ?
Newbie questions that have been asked a million time I bet but I did search before hand (y)

Last edited:
I've had a quick look as I didn't know myself. The IV now has a transmitter aswell as a receiver, unlike the III which just has a receiver. It appears that you can control 3 other III's or IV's from the one IV, changing the zoom and power.

These are still manual flashes that would need adjusting on the flash itself.

In theory you only need 1 603 to control 1 III or IV off camera, in practice you need more than 1 as you'll want another speedlite at some point in the near future and wonder why you are so silly that you are paying over the odds for 2 single 603 purchases rather than buying a pair in the first place! :)

As I've already said these are manual flashes, so you set the power and it goes off, would you need TTL in the future (TTL communicates with the camera to determine the flash power level required to expose correctly)

I've had a quick look as I didn't know myself. The IV now has a transmitter aswell as a receiver, unlike the III which just has a receiver. It appears that you can control 3 other III's or IV's from the one IV, changing the zoom and power.

These are still manual flashes that would need adjusting on the flash itself.

In theory you only need 1 603 to control 1 III or IV off camera, in practice you need more than 1 as you'll want another speedlite at some point in the near future and wonder why you are so silly that you are paying over the odds for 2 single 603 purchases rather than buying a pair in the first place! :)

As I've already said these are manual flashes, so you set the power and it goes off, would you need TTL in the future (TTL communicates with the camera to determine the flash power level required to expose correctly)

Spot on mate that's everything I needed to know....
Sounds like the 565EX would be a better buy now!
Cheers buddy

The 565 can be triggered off camera just by your built in flash, but to take better control of it you'd need a pair of triggers, either straight manual or ETTL.

I don't know how you got to the 565, but if it's just for using off camera, it wouldn't be my first choice.

The 560 is cheap and will work off camera 'out if the box' triggered by your built in flash (will take some playing, but doable), it'll fire by radio from a 602/603, or you can buy a 560tx controller and set the power remotely as well as firing wirelessly.

The 565 will likewise work in manual straight out of the box, could also be used dumb and wirelessly with a 602/603, but if you want smart control, you'll need a YN622 and a YN622tx. The upside is that you can have iTTL as well as manual control, but in a static environment that's less useful than you might think.

My personal recommendation is to buy a TTL flash first for using on camera, but if you're not planning to use on camera at all, just buy a manual flash.

Thanks for the quick reply Phil, I wasn't sure if the 565 would need a trigger or not,
Would I be right in saying the 560 iii maybe the better option as I could get a set of 603's at a later date if needed?
Or the 565/568 o_O
It's something I may not use off camera as most of the car shows we go to it's day light just wanted the option just incase :confused:

Thanks for the quick reply Phil, I wasn't sure if the 565 would need a trigger or not,
Would I be right in saying the 560 iii maybe the better option as I could get a set of 603's at a later date if needed?
Or the 565/568 o_O
It's something I may not use off camera as most of the car shows we go to it's day light just wanted the option just incase :confused:
If you're starting (as most do) with the flash on camera, get the 565, you can set it on iTTL and it'll work round your problems (at least it'll try to help).

Back