Yongnuo 560II not syncing with Pentax K-5

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
No
Hoping someone can help me with my first flashgun.

I've just received a Yongnuo 560II which works seemingly fine on-camera on my Pentax K-5.

Off-camera, though, I'm having some difficulties.

The only way I can get the flashgun and camera to fire in sync is if the camera is in regular flash mode and the flashgun is set to S2 (slave 2) mode.

I understand S2 is designed to work with a pre-flash, which is fine, but I would have expected the setup to work with the camera in "wireless flash" mode.

One reason I'm keen to resolve this is so that I can use the setting in wireless mode that allows me to shoot the camera flash as a controller only.

Lastly, can someone help with a very basic question - what it is that is triggering the flashgun in this setup? I presume it is a light sensor that registers the camera flash.

If this is the case then what does "wireless" mode actually do differently to regular flash mode?

Thanks for any help.

The Yongnuo flash is a manual flash with an optical slave trigger. S1 mode fires when a flash is detected, s2 fires after ignoring the pre-flash.
Don't know much about pentax but for the full wireless use you want (camera as controller only) you will probably need a pentax flash to make use of it.
So as it is to fire the 560 off camera without onboard flash you will need a cable or wireless trigger.

Back