Yongnuo 565EXii flash not firing with 5D mk1

Name
Imran
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently purchased a 5D Mk1 hoping to use with my Yongnuo flash but its not firing at all. Tried auto, manual or anything else I can think of but it doesn't seem to work. By searching online it appears there are a few others out there that have had similar issues but I can't seem to find a resolution to this.

I've tested the flash on my 60D without any changes to the settings and it works absolutely fine so I'm guessing there is something wrong between the hotshoe and flash, or the flash and the camera itself.

Any help please?

I think the Yongnuo flashes require an ETTL II camera. I had a mate bought one for a 300d and he ended up swapping me for a 550ex.

Some sites list compatible flashes and they don't list the older cameras.

Thank you Phil. I've showered through sites today trying to find the answer and it appears some people have had success but its been random. I think it is the ETTL II issue. Now the dilemma, keep the 5D I just bought and buy a new flash or stick with the 60D I was going to sell and keep the flash I have.

Now the dilemma, keep the 5D I just bought and buy a new flash or stick with the 60D I was going to sell and keep the flash I have.
Seems to me like an nonsensical dilemma...
If you like the camera and the files it makes, keep it.
A flash is only a flash, either it does what you want or it doesn't. And Yongnuo flashes are pretty much disposable (with many there's little option but to dispose of them...), so it would seem silly to consider one to be more important than a camera - pretty much any camera.
Then again, maybe that's just me...

Back