Yongnuo - Canon 50mm f1.8 - Any Good?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning,

Does anyone have any experience with these lenses? Are they comparable with the Canon 50mm f1.8's?

Thank you

From what I have read on the internet it’s not worth saving any money, you’re better off with the Canon 50mm.

From what I have read on the internet it’s not worth saving any money, you’re better off with the Canon 50mm.
From having one in my hand and on my camera - it's not worth it. It's a poor imitation of the EF 50/1.8 Mk II (the one with the plastic mount and no distance scale)

For the few extra pounds get the Canon STM version which is excellent from f/5.6 onwards on 50MP sensor (so for landscapes, studio work). If you want to shoot at f/2.8 you are admittedly much better off with 24-70mm zooms and for any wider - get Sigma 50mm ART.

P.S. The older Canon 1.8 II or 1.4 are very poor and should be avoided.

I got the yongnuo 35mm f2 knock-off. It’s ok but not great. I’d go for the canon version.

Perhaps have a look at the Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens instead? It might look a bit like a toy but it's reputedly sharper than the latest Canon 50mm STM lens, plus it gives you a really natural looking field of view on a full frame camera: Over the years I've often found 50mm lens (on an FF camera) is a bit too 'tight' in its field of view when trying to frame a shot, but 35mm would have been too wide. However, I find that 40mm hits the sweet spot in between.

So maybe look at a good, used, Canon 40mm STM pancake lens (with a realistic target price of less than £100 from a reputable dealer with 6+ months warranty) and see how you go? At that price, even if you dislike it (which I doubt will be the case) then I think it's unlikely you'll drop more than £20 (if that) if you choose to sell it on (providing you've not trashed it!). After all, how much would you get for a used Yongnuo 50mm if you find you don't like it?

Last edited:
Back