Yongnuo - Canon 550d

Edit My Images
No
Hi

Excuse the amateur questions but im hoping someone can help here. Im looking at buying a cheap flash for my canon 550d. I have been looking at the Yongnuo's and trying to decide what the better option is.

Im looking for something suitable for general amateur/personal use, hence it doesnt need to break the bank. Mainly its for trying to get decent picks of my little one without having to use the onboard flash! or for filling shadows when taking shots outside - im finding dark areas like shaded eyes are causing me a lot of focus issues, though i appreciate tha will be a combination of me and a fast moving child when ive just focussed!

Anyway, can anyone explain to a novice in simple terms what they would recommend, i have been looking at the 468 and also the 565ex. I realise the 565ex is better for duration, recycle etc but is it enough to warrant the extra.

I noticed the 550d cannot use the 565ex wirelessly (or the 468 for that matter) but i presume it can be used remotely with some kind of trigger?

Lastly, i have some D-Lite4's, would either of these work in combination with the D-Lite lights and remote triggers? If the flashgun was mounted on the hotshoe would it trigger the D-Lites, i thought they triggered via flash as long as it crosses the sensor ?

Thankyou in advance, hopefully im not talkin too much nonsense but the flashgun specs/features are baffling me to say the least!!

Jonny

hi
I have a 40D and have bought the YN565EX
it's pretty good for the money, £106 I think
I would go for this one as it's a decent piece of kit, although there is cheaper
also you can remotely trigger it with a ST-E2 if you want, and YN do a version that is 60 quid instead of the £100+ original from canon

Lastly, i have some D-Lite4's, would either of these work in combination with the D-Lite lights and remote triggers? If the flashgun was mounted on the hotshoe would it trigger the D-Lites, i thought they triggered via flash as long as it crosses the sensor ?

If they've got an optical sensor they should trigger fine as long as the flash is in manual mode. If you have it in ETTL mode (automated exposure) there's a preflash which confuses a lot of optical sensors, though some like Yongnuo's manual-only flashes have a setting to ignore the preflash.

As for other triggering have a look at Yongnuo's triggers (the RF-602 and newer RF-603) if you only need manual operation. I'm not sure if any of the ETTL triggers support Yongnuo flashes so you might have issues if you want off-camera ETTL.
It's possible the Yongnuo flashes with ETTL like the ones you're looking at also have the optical slave triggering modes (you'd have to check) so you could use the onboard flash to trigger it remotely, though then you've got the onboard flash contributing to images which you might not want.

Whatever you get make sure it can tilt and swivel if you think you'll use it indoors. Ideally 180 degree swivel in either direction to make life easier but a lot of lower flashes only do 90/90 or 180/90 so you might struggle in that respect.

If you need a cheaper wireless TTL trigger have a look at these from Pixel King. I think you can pick them up for just over £100.

All, thanks for the replies thats appreciated. I will take a look at the spec with regards to tilt/swivel etc and no dount will be back with more question. Cheers! :)

Back