Yongnuo. Confused? I certainly am! Help please.

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a flash system to go with my Canon 5D3. Looked at the Canon 600 and STE3 but they are damned pricey, so looked at Yongnuo.

Big mistake. They have so much stuff that might or might not be compatible with what I want that I can't make moss nor sand out of their range. Can someone with experience of their stuff help me please?

What I want is four flash guns, that I will use either on or off camera. so as I see it they need...

Full TTL facility.
Full manual capability.
Multi mode capability.
P C Connection to conect with my gizmos.
Master/slave capability.

I want to be able to control the power output etc from a trigger mounted on camera without the need to go running round four separate units every time.

I thought the YN622c-TX would work as the on camera controller with four of the YN 560 III guns.

That's where the problems started. I looked at their website and just got lost in the plethora of triggers/receivers and systems that are available.

Would this system work and do what I want? Would I need any other transmitters/receivers? 602/622 or whatever. I think the trigger and guns will talk to each other "as is" Am I right?

Is there a better system that will do what I want? I'd like to keep everything as simple as possible - a control on the camera to do everything with flash units that can be used on or off camera without additional triggers needing to be set up. Am I dreaming too much, or can this be done?

I'd like to keep everything as simple as possible - a control on the camera to do everything with flash units that can be used on or off camera without additional triggers needing to be set up. Am I dreaming too much, or can this be done?

The Canon EX600-RT's will do everything you want from the rear of the camera, stop fluffing about and get them bought :)

But four of them will cost a fortune!!!

And I need an STE3 to talk to them.

Last edited:
You pays your money.......................

From what i have read the speedlight 90EX could be viable alternative to the expensive STE2/3, It's inexpensive, in fact you get it free with the £199 Eos-M ;)

Last edited:
From what i have read the speedlight 90EX could be viable alternative to the expensive STE2/3, It's inexpensive, in fact you get it free with the £199 Eos-M ;)

It can't trigger other flashes with radio, only optically so no use in this situation.

You need a Cactus V6 wireless flash transceiver - will work with anything Canon, Nikon, Pentax - anything all at the same time !

I'm not needing anything, I've got my 600's and a ST-E3, it's mickledore that's looking to upgrade.............without breaking the bank.
I think needing to work from the rear screen will be the stumbling block unless the latest Yonmuo's can do this?

As I understand it the rear screen leaves a lot to be desired. Ceratinly doesn't work through an STE2 to my existing 580EX for what I want to do.

I thought the latest triggers the YN622c-TX had the facility to talk to the flash units either individually or in a group. I thought they were radio based. I thought the post Jan 2014 YN 560 III flash guns were also radio based and would talk direct to/from the trigger without any other receivers being needed.

But the Yongnuo website doesn't appear to be fully up to date. Hence my question. I presume someone must have tried this combo?
There is a thread dedicated to the trigger but that too has drifted off topic and is discussing all sorts of combinations.

When I say rear screen I mean the camera rear screen not the flash. With the Canon setup you can control everything from the camera. I would imagine the latest Yongnuo will do the same?

As I understand it the rear screen leaves a lot to be desired. Ceratinly doesn't work through an STE2 to my existing 580EX for what I want to do.

I thought the latest triggers the YN622c-TX had the facility to talk to the flash units either individually or in a group. I thought they were radio based. I thought the post Jan 2014 YN 560 III flash guns were also radio based and would talk direct to/from the trigger without any other receivers being needed.

But the Yongnuo website doesn't appear to be fully up to date. Hence my question. I presume someone must have tried this combo?
There is a thread dedicated to the trigger but that too has drifted off topic and is discussing all sorts of combinations.
The 622tx has a great menu system to remotely control 622s, then you need a 622 for each flashgun, and the flashguns need to be compatible, the cheapest solution is probably the new king unit, but it's still new and flaky, you can get YN 565s, or Metz or Jessops (I believe). For me the safe (ish) choice is the 565s.

Thanks. I have a Canon 580EXii and an older 580EX. I can easily scrounge another couple of 580EXii guns. If I then get the trigger and a 622 for each gun will the trigger give me full remote control over the guns? That would save further expense!

If not are there any gun/trigger set ups that will talk directly to each other without going to the expense of the Canon 600? I'm only a hobbyist and £1500 for the full kosher setup is pushing SWMBO's tolerance a bit further than is safe for me!

Thanks. I have a Canon 580EXii and an older 580EX. I can easily scrounge another couple of 580EXii guns. If I then get the trigger and a 622 for each gun will the trigger give me full remote control over the guns? That would save further expense!

If not are there any gun/trigger set ups that will talk directly to each other without going to the expense of the Canon 600? I'm only a hobbyist and £1500 for the full kosher setup is pushing SWMBO's tolerance a bit further than is safe for me!
That'll be fine, how many do you need?

Well if the trigger gives full control over the Canon guns then I'll need one trigger and four receivers.

Have you a "contact"?

You'll find them on fleabay or the river website.

Thanks, I think! Just found out that the 622s don't work with my 580EX. They only work with the EXII!
So...swap the flash unit, or sell them all and buy a complete 568/622 combo? Save having to borrow extra flashes???
Canon's 600/STE3 is silly money for my needs.

Can you control them from the rear camera screen?

Thanks, I think! Just found out that the 622s don't work with my 580EX. They only work with the EXII!
So...swap the flash unit, or sell them all and buy a complete 568/622 combo? Save having to borrow extra flashes???
Canon's 600/STE3 is silly money for my needs.

580EX Mk1 works fine with the 622 and 622tx on camera. This is a better arrangement anyway, as you don't have to dive into the camera menus to change settings. As Phil said really :)

580EX Mk1 works fine with the 622 and 622tx on camera. This is a better arrangement anyway, as you don't have to dive into the camera menus to change settings. As Phil said really :)

Does it? That's super. I was only quoting what the blurb on the 622s that I was looking to buy says.

Not having to dive into the camera menus is a big bonus. Just control from the 622tx seems ideal.

Last edited:
Does it? That's super. I was only quoting what the blurb on the 622s that I was looking to buy says.

Not having to dive into the camera menus is a big bonus. Just control from the 622tx seems ideal.

It can be confusing, I agree. And wanting to do something similar myself, the only way to be 100% was to try it. So I borrowed Phil's 622tx and 622 transceivers and hooked up a couple of my 580EX guns. Works perfectly (y)

What you need is a 622 tx, four 622 transceivers, and a couple more YN guns.

Thank you very much. I think that was the answer I was looking for when I started out, but couldn't quite get my head round.

I thought someone must be using this set up. Excellent.(y)(y)(y)

I have the YN622C-TX, controlling a couple of YN565 EX II's through the a YN 622C on each. Fantastic set-up. Full Manual control, off camera TTL, and varing modes.

I was reading this thread with interest as I was about to ask the same question myself.

Now I'm even more confused!

I was reading this thread with interest as I was about to ask the same question myself.

Now I'm even more confused!

What are you confused about? :D

I just want a couple of speedlights and a trigger for my 7D. I have no idea what I need to buy or what features I need. Everyone just talks in model numbers and codes and it looks like spaghetti!

Okay, so here's a list of Yongnuo flashguns along with what they do.

YN560 II - Manual only flash (No TTL), fired wirelessly via any radio trigger (All flash settings have to be controlled via back of flash)
YN560 III - Manual only flash (No TTL), can be used with the YN560 TX to fire the flash wirelessly and be able to adjust flash settings on camera
YN565 II - Full TTL, and manual flash. This can be controlled using the YN 622 radio trigger (attached to flash) and the YN 622 TX to have full TTL and manual control on camera.

Does this help?

Okay, so here's a list of Yongnuo flashguns along with what they do.

YN560 II - Manual only flash (No TTL), fired wirelessly via any radio trigger (All flash settings have to be controlled via back of flash)
YN560 III - Manual only flash (No TTL), can be used with the YN560 TX to fire the flash wirelessly and be able to adjust flash settings on camera
YN565 II - Full TTL, and manual flash. This can be controlled using the YN 622 radio trigger (attached to flash) and the YN 622 TX to have full TTL and manual control on camera.

Does this help?
This is true for Canon. However the extra twist for Nikon is that YN565 II does not work with the D800 or I believe do HSS with any camera. the YN568 II does work with the D800/800e/810 & do HSS but costs about 50% more than the YN565 II.

This is true for Canon. However the extra twist for Nikon is that YN565 II does not work with the D800 or I believe do HSS with any camera. the YN568 II does work with the D800/800e/810 & do HSS but costs about 50% more than the YN565 II.
Well that sucks! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Very soon they will have flash like canon 600 with full compatibility to canon's 600 and st3.

Back