Beginner Yongnuo Flashes

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Im trying to do a bit of research as to what flash will work best with my 6D. Ive heard alot about Yongnuo and they seem gd

Can anyone comment on them and say what model to go for etc

I was looking at the

Yongnuo YN-560 IV Flash Speedlite
or
YongNuo YN-568EX II Flashgun
or
YONGNUO Flash Speedlite YN-600EX-RT

I assume the higher the number the better the model??

Thanks

I have several of the 568 EXII and combined with the YN-622 & 622-C transceivers / controllers they're extremely good value for money. Reliable and lots of features, I would definitely recommend them.
Regards
Jim

Depends what you want it for. The 560 doesn't do TTL automatic metering, however it has a wireless receiver built in. If you're doing posed photos or studio work this is perfect, grab a couple of these and a wireless trigger and you have a lighting kit!
TTL is quite useful for fast, unpredictable stuff but there's a lot to be said for going manual.

The Strobist 101 blog is a very good way of learning flash.

Straightforward:
Yongnuo YN-560 IV Flash Speedlite Manual only
or
YongNuo YN-568EX II Flashgun Decent flashgun with ETTL and HSS
or
YONGNUO Flash Speedlite YN-600EX-RT Decent flashgun with ETTL and HSS and a built in radio receiver for Canons new radio system

You missed the YN685 which has a built in receiver for Yongnuo YN622 radio system

Although they're all cheaper than the Canon equivalents, be aware the build quality suffers for this, Many of us consider them borderline disposable though, I once watched a lightstand with a brolly and YN flash atop fall into a pond, my biggest concern was my embarrassment. If it'd have been a £400 flashgun I'd have been in tears.

Phil, does the 685 do ettl AND built in 602/603 wireless? If so then you've just hurt my wallet!

b*****ks, it does! Been after this for ages and didn't know it existed!
It's fairly new, works like a YN568 with a built in 622 receiver.

But technically it's closer to the 600 but using the 622 wireless protocols.

Oooh. Got 3 560 mk3s and want an ettl gun for stuff that isn't posed like club photography That looks great...!

For what they cost the YONGNUO Flash Speedlite YN-600EX-RT are very good. I bought two along with the YN-E3-R
£85 for the YN-600 can't moan at that price for what you get.
Russ

Thank you for your help

I was looking at this model YongNuo YN-568EX II and was also looking at YongNuo YN-622C-TX E-TTL LCD wireless flash controller wireless flash trigger & YongNuo YN-622C Wireless E-TTL Flash Trigger for Canon. As they come as a package

But from what people are saying the 568 has a built in wireless or am i missing something ?
You're missing something :)
The 568 has a 'wireless receiver' for the Canon near IR remote control system, it needs a YN622 attached to get instructions from the 622tx.
But you could buy the YN685 which contains a 622 radio receiver.
That'll be cheaper and more elegant.

I'd definitely go for the YN-600EX-RT. It's their version of the top of the range Canon flash, has HSS, ETTL, built in radio control, compatible with Canon radio system, high guide number. I've got 2 and the YN-E3-R to control them when required. Huge saving compared to Canon equivalent but totally compatible with them. Been great so far. I looked at so many alternatives till I decided on this solution!!

Kenny

Just to throw a spanner in, is it worth looking at the Godox flashes as well? Honestly no idea if better/similar/worse than the Yongnuo, but I'm sure others will know.

I've had the Yongnuo 568 and a few 560 iv's when I was shooting Canon. Never had any issues with any of them, apart from when I went to sell the 560's and one must have broken during transit.

I moved to Sony and Yongnuo don't (or at least didn't when I was looking) sell a TTL compatible system. Godox do and it's getting great reviews so I've ordered a flash and transmitter to test out. I know they make the same system for Canon and Nikon. Might be worth a look before purchasing.

I'd definitely go for the YN-600EX-RT. It's their version of the top of the range Canon flash, has HSS, ETTL, built in radio control, compatible with Canon radio system, high guide number. I've got 2 and the YN-E3-R to control them when required. Huge saving compared to Canon equivalent but totally compatible with them. Been great so far. I looked at so many alternatives till I decided on this solution!!

Kenny

YN 600EX-RT is the route I've taken, plus Tx unit, after first trying a set of YN 622/Tx. The 622 combo worked well (with Canon 580EX guns) but I really wanted the neat/compact form factor of built-in radio, especially when ganging multiple guns together. Very pleased. The Yongnuos are 1/3rd of a stop down on the Canons for brightness, but the build quality is fine.

For me, the advantage of the YN 600EX-RT over the YN 685 is the integral master unit (YN 685 is receiver only). This means I can have a master flash on-camera that I sometimes find extremely handy. It's also a bit of insurance - I have four guns and a Tx, which means I have in effect five master units and four flashes. If any one goes down, I can work around it. Not that I've had any problems with YN stuff over many years now, but if reliability is a concern, at these prices just buy an extra unit (y)

Just to throw a spanner in, is it worth looking at the Godox flashes as well? Honestly no idea if better/similar/worse than the Yongnuo, but I'm sure others will know.

I've had the Yongnuo 568 and a few 560 iv's when I was shooting Canon. Never had any issues with any of them, apart from when I went to sell the 560's and one must have broken during transit.

I moved to Sony and Yongnuo don't (or at least didn't when I was looking) sell a TTL compatible system. Godox do and it's getting great reviews so I've ordered a flash and transmitter to test out. I know they make the same system for Canon and Nikon. Might be worth a look before purchasing.

Godox is looking very attractive these days :) The big advantage I think, is the common control system with AD360 guns and the AD600 head - a total outfit from speedlites to studio to powerful location flash, using the same trigger, same user-interface, same everything, to mix and match as you like (y)

I think strobists are so used to having to mess about with different systems that we just accept all the incompatibility madness. The Godox route (ditto Phottix) is very liberating, with real benefits. It's not even expensive!

Godox is looking very attractive these days :) The big advantage I think, is the common control system with AD360 guns and the AD600 head - a total outfit from speedlites to studio to powerful location flash, using the same trigger, same user-interface, same everything, to mix and match as you like (y)

I think strobists are so used to having to mess about with different systems that we just accept all the incompatibility madness. The Godox route (ditto Phottix) is very liberating, with real benefits. It's not even expensive!

Must admit I'm really looking forward to having a play with the system. The comparability was one of my reasons for buying as I'm setting up a home studio for work related stuff as well.

Just wish Royal Mail would put my bits out for delivery. Showing as at my local depot, but not out for delivery. Very frustrating ;)

Back