Yongnuo YN-560

Graham - any news on when you are getting these? I'd rather buy from you than ebay.

You want HSS, then you have to pay. I dont know if any gun (Yongnuo or otherwise) can do HSS apart from Canons, and I cant be arsed to research it.

My Metz does, but it's not far from canon pricing.. Also does wireless ttl slave and master plus the other canon goodies.

hmmn looks like I am going to have to forego the hss.
FITP will you be doing the yn468 version?

is ebay the only place to pick these flashes up? I've tried looking on google but i couldnt find any :(

no FITP stocks them on here i think, go to the photo trade section and look on advertisers and you should see his thread;)

Cheers :D I see his thread but i don't see the flash for sale in it. No worries though, at least they are available outside ebay and i can support a trader on the forum at the same time (y)

Have ordered one of these on ebay from Hong Kong for approx £58... when it arrives I will let ya'll know how it fares... I have a YN-460II to make a direct comparison.

FITP... any idea when you'll have UK stock?? Will want another soon, and would rather order from you... :)

It'll be interesting to see if you get one, reports I'm getting back is that it's sold out everywhere.......

I've had an email back saying it has been despatched!!

Just depends how long air-mail takes!

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Graham, any news? Since you're feverishly selling off your old stock. :)

I got a YN-560 today, a friend of mine ordered them off the official YN ebay store and asked if I wanted one as well. Given the shortage of stock everywhere I was not expecting to see it soon but it was in Finland in about a week.

Have had just a little time with it, but initial impressions are very very good. The build quality is impressive for something at this price point and while the manual is somewhere between incomprehensible and hilarious there's buttons for everything and big bright idiot lights to keep you informed of what you just did.

The "pilot" button to test the flash is the only extremely annoying bit, it's REALLY hard to press. You have to press it so far inside the flash that it's nigh impossible with my fat fingers. Also the row of zoom/power lights COULD include a secondary power scale in addition to the zoom mm scale as they are used to adjust both settings..

YN states a GN of 58 at 105mm zoom... but it doesn't quite make it, it's not giving out as much light as a 580 EX II or a Metz 58 AF-1. Close though and well.. for the price you pay (y)

TTL pre-flash elimination works a treat for me as does the optical slave in general. Even though I don't use it, the included sync port is a nice addition and I'm interested to try out the external power pack connection.. anybody know what kind of recycle times are possible with it?

All in all, a very solid feeling manual flash which ticks all the boxes for my exprimental multi-speedlight use. Wouldn't buy it for an only flash though.

Wouldn't buy it for an only flash though.

I'm thinking about one of these to replace a very old flash I have. Why wouldn't you buy it for an only flash? What are the drawbacks to it as a single unit? I can't afford a Canon Speedlight so this seemed a viable alternative for the time being?

Thanks

I'm thinking about one of these to replace a very old flash I have. Why wouldn't you buy it for an only flash? What are the drawbacks to it as a single unit? I can't afford a Canon Speedlight so this seemed a viable alternative for the time being?

Thanks

no ttl would be a biggy for me

I'd buy it for an only flash if it were being used off-camera with radio triggers, but I wouldn't put it on my hotshoe. :)

I'd buy it for an only flash if it were being used off-camera with radio triggers, but I wouldn't put it on my hotshoe. :)

I'm probably being very stupid (it's quite usual) but why not?

Purely because of the lack of TTL for fill flash.

Off-camera, it's not such a big deal, because once you've got your settings right, they're right. You give your subject a "zone" that they can stand in, and where their movement limitations are, and you get nice exposures every time.

On-camera, you're moving, getting closer to and further away from your subject (or the wall or ceiling you're bouncing off), and you have to manually adjust your power output every time you take a shot (and possibly make 3 or 4 adjustments, then a shot after each change just to see if it worked). It's just more hassle than it's worth.

On-camera TTL fill for both Nikon and Canon is pretty good these days, and you'll get more consistently useful shots - or at least, as useful as can be gotten with on-camera flash. :)

Thank you John, that all makes perfect sense.

Would these flashes be good for a nikon D40? I'm looking at getting my 1st flash.

Jordan

Would these flashes be good for a nikon D40? I'm looking at getting my 1st flash.

Jordan

I believe they will work, BUT there is no TTL. So for somebody thats new to photography and looking for something in that price range then prehaps the Jessops 360 or the nissin, something like that that will give you TTL.

I believe they will work, BUT there is no TTL. So for somebody thats new to photography and looking for something in that price range then prehaps the Jessops 360 or the nissin, something like that that will give you TTL.

Thanks for that mate.

Studio flash head or speedlite in triples?
A recent post gets me thinking about this.
The ideas is to use 3 speedlite per group with TriFlash cold shoe (such like Lencarta STR-3 or Lastolite Triflash) plus a radio trigger instead of a studio head.

For a motion freeze capture (dance etc) 3 light setup this means 9 speedlites.
TTL is not needed that is why I am looking at YN560 - cost is a factor - 9 580exii set you back £3k easily while YN560 is at lower than £600 mark.

For static portrait, well it does a similar job to studio head with adding benefit of portability.

Messy to setup though.

Your view?

I don't think it's necessarily all that messy, that's why they sell the 3 mount heads. :)

I know a couple of people who run 2 or 4 heads simply to lower the power required from each flash for each shot and get faster recycle times. Two heads at half power recycles much faster than a single head at full power, and four heads at 1/4 power is practically instantaneous.

YN-560 vs 580-EXii (or SB-900) is a bit of a no brainer if you need that many flashes (and why not? If you get that many you can do some crazy repeat-flash experiments with dancers too!), are looking to save money, and don't need TTL or AutoFP High Speed sync (on a Nikon anyway, I dunno if Canon do something like that).

Canon 580Ex ii does HSS and Joe McNally's Repeating Flash

I have got a couple pocketwizards including multimax which can trigger Repeating Flash as well.

What is the down side of using speedlite in groups then?

More buttons to push.
I never think about that one any more. Either I'm using Nikon CLS and controlling the flash power from my camera, or I have a full time button pusher.. ermm I mean "lighting assistant" with me on portrait shoots. :)

But yeah, the battery charging can be a pain (especially if you start adding 8xAA external battery packs too).

scaled.php

And that's just for three SB-900s + 8xAA battery packs.

John, yours are all Nikon SBs? I would be very (delightly) surprised if YN560 can be slaved to Canon or Nikon master? would it? would it?

It sort of can. It has two optical slave modes. One is the regular "see a flash go off and fire" slave mode we've known and loved for years, the other is a "ignore pre-flashes" slave mode which means you can fire it as part of a CLS or wireless TTL setup.

I've done that with a pair of YN460-II flashes and three SB-900s on a white seamless. I had the YN460-II flashes powered up to light the background (which was going to be consistent from shot to shot regardless of where my subject flashes were or what modifiers were on them) on S2 mode, and then I just moved the SB-900s around on the subject and controlled the output of those from the commander on the hotshoe.

Yup, all mine are SB-900s at the mo. I had an SB-600 too (but it died, won't be buying one of those again, not even close to the ruggedness of an SB-900) and some YN460-II flashes (which were great, just wish they'd had a zoomable head), but I sold those in anticipation of buying some YN560 flashes, but I've just not had the need for that many flashes since then (and when I have, the need has demanded Nikon speedlights because I was shooting at 1/2000th of a second, heh).

ha that means using YN flashes will definitely need a full time button pusher if the output would change frequently for different setups, even ttl is not required.
and no HSS could be a plain.
I think 1/2000 is a pretty standard requirement for dance or mid air flying (correct)?
Would it be good just to use YN speedlites for rim light (strip boxes) and have Canon/SB speedlites for key (because of the HSS)?

Back