Yongnuo YN460 II for macro use?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

Couldn’t find a separate forum for macro discussion (only the photo sharing one) so thought i’d post this here instead. At the moment I use the pop-up flash with a reflector/diffuser type thing made from card, tinfoil, a bin bag and various other items, but want to upgrade to a better flash with some more power and faster recycling.

The yongnuo yn460 II seems pretty good for £35, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of using a manual flash for macro shots? I’m currently using a 50mm lens reversed on the front of the kit lens, which gives a fixed magnification so the subject is always at the same distance from the front of the lens. Am I right in assuming that once I’ve set the flash power I won’t have to keep changing it as the subject will always be that same distance from the flash? Also, if anyone has any other comments about this flash it would be appreciated :)

It's a good flash as long as you don't need ettl and are happy shooting in manual mode.

You'll probably also need a short off-camera or sync cord + a bracket and diffuser. Lots of DIY possibilities.

And if you set up your flash for a certain distance & manual camera settings, you won't have to change them unless you shooting so that ambient light can make a difference. But if you shoot at small apertures, high shutter sppeds and low Iso then you will lose the ambient light and can work with the flash light only.

Last edited:
Thanks, sounds like the fact it's a manual flash shouldn't be a problem. I've had a look at a few DIY diffuser ideas, so will have a go at that.

Back