Yongnuo YN568EX ETTL flashes

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Just bought two of thse after being pleasantly surprised by the manual only 560s that I picked up.

The 568 units amazingly have full Canon and Nikon remote TTL and manual wireless control capability, plus high speed sync, optical slave, 2nd curtain etc. All for about £100 which is massively cheap compared to a Canon 580exII.

First impressions - very good. Build quality is solid and they seem robust, with a metal hotshoe. The plastic feels a bit cheaper than the Canon 580 exII but not anything remotely concerning.

Trying out the two Yongnuo units off camera, with a Canon 580 as the master on the camera, its possible to set up the usual 3 groups so I had the master as A, one of the 568s as B and the other as C. In the weird Canon ratio mode which I still dont understand properly, the remotes responded to the master perfectly and you can adjust the ratios from the on camera external speedlight control menu (Canon 1DIV).

Switching the master into manual mode also switches the 568s into manual mode automatically and you can then set the output of each flash group indepently. Again the 568s worked perfectly.

I have a shoot this weekend so will give them a lenghtier try-out then. Having spent £300 I have 4 new flashes, 2 dumb ones for manual optical slaves and 2 clever ones for remote power management. All for a lot less than one new 580exII.

Amazingly yes, that works too. Set the master to manual and high speed, dial in the power, and the 568 also goes to manual and high speed at the required power. Now that is cool.

Take it a stage further, Tobers, and have a look at their 622c triggers!

+1 For an extra £130 you can equip all four flash guns with one of these super triggers & get away from that dreadful unreliable Canon short-range line-of-sight IR wireless remote operation.

didn't know you could get 568s I've just bought two 565ex models with their ST-E2 clone

I see the difference now
HSS for the 568ex (and modelling light) but external battery pack for the 565ex

Last edited:

That's looking like a killer combo, at great prices :)

Where did you buy them for £100? The cheapest that I can find are £126.90 + £8.49 P&P on Amazon or on eBay they are £115 from Hong Kong.

Thinking of maybe trying these out. Can anyone tell me if the HSS stays switched on when selected even if you drop your shutter speed? The reason I ask is that I usually leave my Canon flashes set to HSS so it's always ready if I up my shutter speed. But I also have a Sigma flash that when I lower the shutter speed it switches HSS off again and I have to re-select it on the flash (very annoying and easy to forget to do)

Cheepest one I've seen is at £109 - here - I would love to know how they compare to the Nissin Di866 II however

i am also thinking of giving these a go.... will post results if i choose to grab some.

Cheers

DizMatt said:
didn't know you could get 568s I've just bought two 565ex models with their ST-E2 clone

I see the difference now
HSS for the 568ex (and modelling light) but external battery pack for the 565ex

I have the 565 and modelling light as well think the only real difference is the hss am gutted I just bought another 565 and then found out about the 568 great flashes though

Might give this a go for the price. Atleast its alot cheaper than the canon

Thinking of maybe trying these out. Can anyone tell me if the HSS stays switched on when selected even if you drop your shutter speed? The reason I ask is that I usually leave my Canon flashes set to HSS so it's always ready if I up my shutter speed. But I also have a Sigma flash that when I lower the shutter speed it switches HSS off again and I have to re-select it on the flash (very annoying and easy to forget to do)
Ive just been looking into these as well since i watched the review of the yn622c. I read that it remembers settings post power down/up so it should remain in HSS. I know your pain as i to have two Sigma flash units and the HSS/FS drop out does my head in.

Ive just been looking into these as well since i watched the review of the yn622c. I read that it remembers settings post power down/up so it should remain in HSS. I know your pain as i to have two Sigma flash units and the HSS/FS drop out does my head in.

I read that somewhere too, just wanted 100% confirmation before a purchase. Seems a small thing to hinge a purchase on but it really is that annoying.

I read that somewhere too, just wanted 100% confirmation before a purchase. Seems a small thing to hinge a purchase on but it really is that annoying.
I agree. There is a useful 'Unboxing/Review' video on YouTube (HERE) and the guy has already answered a couple of questions for me so I just put this one to him.

Yes it does remember the HSS. It's now officially on my Xmas list

Back