Yorkshire Dales

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
I took a trip down to the Dales on Monday, week off work so thought why not! The weather was cracking and the locations stunning.

I've been a bit down on my mojo for photography lately, a lot going on at home etc, but it was nice to get out and out somewhere new. I also tried some new stuff, wide open landscapes, something I've seen a lot of but not tried myself, so shot a lot with the 85mm wide open at f1.8 and really enjoyed the results. Certainly a different set of images compared to my usual style, but the Dales certainly produced. I think I'll return soon when the meadows are full of wildflowers :)

Hope you enjoy!

The Barn and Hawthorn by Martin Steele, on Flickr

The tree on the hill by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Muker Meadows by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Muker by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Thwaite Barns by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Twistleton Scar by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Last edited:
They're all lovely Martin. My choice if forced to choose would be No1 and No.2.

One thing I did the other week when the weather and light were just awful and I wasn't going to take a camera out with me was force myself to take a camera and then shoot everything at f1.4. I don't think I got any keepers but it was fun.

1,2,3 are great and perfect. I quite like the OOF foreground in 3.

Re 4 - the bottom wall isn't for me. I might have composed landscape, cropping square with the nice yellow flowers being the bottom part of the frame.
Re 5 - I'd lose that wall at the bottom but you cannot crop this as you will cut off other features. I think composing over the wall would have been the way.
Re 6. It's fine but the 1st three I just like more

They're all lovely Martin. My choice if forced to choose would be No1 and No.2.

One thing I did the other week when the weather and light were just awful and I wasn't going to take a camera out with me was force myself to take a camera and then shoot everything at f1.4. I don't think I got any keepers but it was fun.
Thank you Alan, it was certainly fun doing something different from my norm, and the fact I even got one image I really like from it is a miracle as I'm so fussy :ROFLMAO:
1,2,3 are great and perfect. I quite like the OOF foreground in 3.

Re 4 - the bottom wall isn't for me. I might have composed landscape, cropping square with the nice yellow flowers being the bottom part of the frame.
Re 5 - I'd lose that wall at the bottom but you cannot crop this as you will cut off other features. I think composing over the wall would have been the way.
Re 6. It's fine but the 1st three I just like more
Cheers mate, and I agree on the walls tbh, but wanted to try something different for me.

4 wouldn't compose landscape as it's messy to the right and parked cars along the road to the left, although it'll possibly crop square.
5 the wall is hiding a multitude of sins, messy scrubland, although I probably will have shots without it when I look again but couldn't quite work the comp to how I wanted it thanks to the mess in the bottom.
Very nice Martin, I like wide open landscapes. :)
Thank you Toni, first time I've really done it, but enjoyed it, and some of the results :)

Lovely images (y)
Thank you Gav :)

The first three I love, 4 and 5 i don't like the wall across the bottom of the pictures, they sort of act as a barrier (or wall :LOL:) to stop you entering the landscape.

I have a very large soft spot for the dales.
Thank you Jonathan, and I totally agree about the walls being a barrier, certainly not something I would normally shoot, but fancied trying something different for me :)

Love the Dales shepherd huts, wish I lived closer. :(

It's so nice around the Dales, only my second time visiting for photography, and thoroughly enjoyed it, hope to get back again soon as I'm only 90 mins or so away :)

Lovely set of images Martin. It's a place I have on my list of places to visit one day hopefully.

I liked them all , but the little trees at the bottom has something about it for me .

Most of the stone barns are from a time when hay was gathered from adjacent fields and stashed upstairs to feed animals downstairs through winter - cows being most common.
They would go round with cans and milk them by hand and carry milk back to farm house either on their backs or with a horse.
The system suited an area where steep and difficult access meant it made sense not to attempt carting hay home to a more distant farmstead and manure back out.

What a great set of photographs thank you for posting them.(y)

Lovely set of images Martin. It's a place I have on my list of places to visit one day hopefully.
Thank you

I liked them all , but the little trees at the bottom has something about it for me .
Thank you

Cracking set Martin.
Thank you Roger

Most of the stone barns are from a time when hay was gathered from adjacent fields and stashed upstairs to feed animals downstairs through winter - cows being most common.
They would go round with cans and milk them by hand and carry milk back to farm house either on their backs or with a horse.
The system suited an area where steep and difficult access meant it made sense not to attempt carting hay home to a more distant farmstead and manure back out.
Interesting and answers my questions when there as to why almost every field has a barn, thanks!

Very nice set of photos. Second and last one would be my favorite picks. :)
Thank you

What a great set of photographs thank you for posting them.(y)
Thank you Richard

Great work, and beautiful landscapes (but, being a Yorkshireman I would say that).
Some really iconic and geo-indicator shots, but I'd stride straight into a Gallery and buy No2 outright -Masterful work.

That second shot really floats my boat.

All very nice Martin, as usual. If I had to pick a favourite it would be the first.

Great work, and beautiful landscapes (but, being a Yorkshireman I would say that).
Some really iconic and geo-indicator shots, but I'd stride straight into a Gallery and buy No2 outright -Masterful work.
Thank you Paul, that means a lot. Apparently it's becoming quite a popular tree/spot too, but I didn't know that until we stumbled across it heading elsewhere, shot it and posted it on Facebook and got told about it :ROFLMAO:

That second shot really floats my boat.
Thank you Neville, couldn't have asked for better conditions for me with the rainstorm blowing through behind :)

All very nice Martin, as usual. If I had to pick a favourite it would be the first.
Cheers mate, I think the first one typifies the Dales for me :)

Lovely set of images. We have been stopping in Richmond for a few days and I braved a 3:20am alarm this morning as a chance of mist and an ok sunrise was on the cards. Managed to get to Hawes without running any rabbits, deer or foxes over - although many tried to throw themselves under the car :) No mist or real light unfortunately - but still nice to be out and about while everyone else is still in bed.

Dave.

Lovely set of images. We have been stopping in Richmond for a few days and I braved a 3:20am alarm this morning as a chance of mist and an ok sunrise was on the cards. Managed to get to Hawes without running any rabbits, deer or foxes over - although many tried to throw themselves under the car :) No mist or real light unfortunately - but still nice to be out and about while everyone else is still in bed.

Dave.

You should have pulled an all nighter and gone to Rannoch Moor - mist, light and reflections in abundance. Quick clap of the hands got the ducks off the Lochan :D

Mine was a 230am alarm, need to have breakfast etc first :D

Dave.
Thanks Dave. It's a wonderful part of the world, that's for sure, and even better at that time when no one else is about :D

You should have pulled an all nighter and gone to Rannoch Moor - mist, light and reflections in abundance. Quick clap of the hands got the ducks off the Lochan :D

Mine was a 230am alarm, need to have breakfast etc first :D
Haven't even checked the weather for tomorrow yet and I'm tempted haha

Back