You can tell spring is around the corner because ..

The leaves are coming on the ancient trees next to the ancient bridge just outside the ancient village...

Clyst Bridge at Clyst St Mary PSZ IMG_0044.JPG

:D

I know hedgehogs are supposed to be solitary, but the amount of turds left on my patio overnight ( why there I wonder?) would suggest there is
more than one. Maybe its found a mate, as its a bit early for off spring..
Oop sorry Chris that was me- isn't payback a Bitch :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
A 3rd clump of spawn was laid overnight.
:)

Make that 4 :)

I was just sitting in the garden, for a bit, a blue tit appears, bites a large leaf from the near-by laurel,
and shoves it in the nest box, back 5 mins later with a beak full of fluff.
Looks like he's getting ready to set up house.

A pair did check it out a couple of weeks earlier, but I didn't think they liked it...

Make that 4 :)

I was just sitting in the garden, for a bit, a blue tit appears, bites a large leaf from the near-by laurel,
and shoves it in the nest box, back 5 mins later with a beak full of fluff.
Looks like he's getting ready to set up house.

A pair did check it out a couple of weeks earlier, but I didn't think they liked it...

I've had a nest box up on our fence, tucked behind a pear tree for over ten years now, it's never been used, apart from a humongous spider last year :runaway: that gave me the shock of my life when I lifted the lid on the box towards the end of the nesting season.

Anyway, digging the border yesterday, close to the next box, I could hear a blue tit protesting at my presence, about 5 feet behind me in said pear tree. I'll be keeping an eye on the box today. :woot:

I've had a nest box up on our fence, tucked behind a pear tree for over ten years now, it's never been used,
Maybe its a bit overgrown for them? they do like a clear line of site when entering and leaving, and the back to the prevailing weather.

humongous spider last year :runaway: that gave me the shock of my life when I lifted the lid on the box towards the end of the nesting season.
I shouldn't laugh ... But :LOL:

I'll be keeping an eye on the box today. :woot:
Cool. Fingers crossed (y)

Maybe its a bit overgrown for them? they do like a clear line of site when entering and leaving, and the back to the prevailing weather.

The tree is bare just now, although it is showing buds. The back of the nest box faces West, so into where most of our weather comes from, the hole facing South East.

I shouldn't laugh ... But :LOL:

Lol, it's a certain thing, I'm not their biggest fan. This was a big, heavy female and I startled her, her front legs where up, ready to strike. If she had run, I'd have fainted. :eek:

:LOL:

Cool. Fingers crossed (y)

They're showing interest again today. (y)

Hedge the hog!
I was 10 mins late ( it was dark rather than twilight) putting out the food the other evening and there it was sitting in the empty food tray, when I went out to feed it!

I had no idea if I was underfeeding it, so I googled the average food intake per night.
It seems that is around 75g.
Out of interest I weighed the portions I was putting out. 125g!

It eats most of it in one sitting, comes back a couple of hours later for the rest.
Last night, between "courses" I'd thrown out a piece ( in small pieces) of pork and pickle sandwich, that I didn't finish.
Knowing full well that the early birds pigeons and magpies, would clear it up.
Or so I thought.
One last check around midnight and the Hog, was clearing that up too!
Someone is desperate to put weight on. Does it know something we don't? ...

Last edited:
Yup - if one hangs around outside your back door, one gets tasty treats!

Reactions: Nod
We used to get a couple here so when we "did" the fences a few years back, I cut 6" holes in the gravel boards where they used to come through. They used the holes for one season but I haven't seen any evidence of use for 3 or 4 years now. :(

Missing, one hedge hog.
Hoggy never turned up for his tea last night.
To be fair, its not been much above freezing the last couple of nights, I hope he's
just gone back to sleep. ( and who can blame him?) One from a few nights ago.

1648823565009.jpeg

Hope he's back when it warms up again.

1) I heard my frogs calling last night, it seems to be 3 as usual.
I hope a late frost doesn't turn the spawn to mush again this year.

2) I saw pair of Blue tits checking out a nest box I put up about 18 months ago.
Sadly I haven't seen frog spawn for many years near me. We have newts though.

We have newts though.
I'd like newts as well, however, last time I saw any, they were miles from me.
And I doubt they fancy the trip.

Edited to add, 2 frosts so far, Fri & Sat,
The spawn survived those at least :)

Last edited:
I'm hearing lawn mowers. :oops: :$ :(
I love the smell of Napalm cut grass in the morning

I did mine about a month ago, and if it ever stops raining its due again.

I love the smell of Napalm cut grass in the morning

I did mine about a month ago, and if it ever stops raining its due again.

Lol, I quite like that smell too. I don't mind cutting it, it's just we have a lot of it, 2-3 hour job, on a good day. :runaway:

I really should invest (I almost did) in a ride on but they ain't cheap.

I don't mind cutting it, it's just we have a lot of it, 2-3 hour job,
Now you are just showing off :p
It takes me about half hour including trimming the edges and a general tidy up.

Crow scarers have been switched back on here about a week or so ago, not seen a Redkite or Hare since :(
Hare's I understand.
But some of the landfill sites I used to work "bird deterrent"
Had quite a collection of kites, the bangs didn't deter them for more than a few mins,
before they were back scavenging alongside the Gulls.

Last edited:
Hare's I understand.
But some of the landfill sites I used to work "bird deterrent"
Had quite a collection of kites, the bangs didn't deter them for more than a few mins,
before they were back scavenging alongside the Gulls.
I did think kites would tolerate it, do wonder if the kites have moved to other areas with higher lamb births to feed there

do wonder if the kites have moved to other areas with higher lamb births to feed there
I assume that you know red kites are carrion feeders, their talon grip is very weak. Mice, voles, worms and beetles are about the biggest live prey they
are capable of "holding"

Of course any placenta's laying around, would be a welcome source protein, and mostly the reason they get blamed for killing lambs.

I assume that you know red kites are carrion feeders, their talon grip is very weak. Mice, voles, worms and beetles are about the biggest live prey they
are capable of "holding"

Of course any placenta's laying around, would be a welcome source protein, and mostly the reason they get blamed for killing lambs.
I do indeed :) I ment as clean up crew ;)

I do indeed :) I ment as clean up crew ;)
I thought you might, :) when they first appeared here, some years ago, now, local news headlines ranged from a red kite took my Chihuahua away, to a red kite stole my child's sandwich out of his hand...

I thought you might, :) when they first appeared here, some years ago, now, local news headlines ranged from a red kite took my Chihuahua away, to a red kite stole my child's sandwich out of his hand...
My Grandad is funny, he calls the dog in from the garden every time a Redkite appears, his words "that redwing will take her away, 10 ft wingspan, they carry cats and dogs" .. I have to remind him of the facts every week and it's the left over chicken he throws on the garage is what they are looking at :ROFLMAO: ... sorry, I've taken your thread off line ...

Saw my first Bluebell at the weekend, little frost damaged but still standing

Must be spring - main tees and greens all seem to be open. Harder to find free balls in the hedges too!

Back