You can't buy new film cameras anymore!

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I was in Jessops today and overheard a conversation between customer (A family I think) and sales assistant. From what I could gather, one of them was about to embark on a college course and needed a camera. The said that course involved "working from negatives" to which the assistant replied "You can't buy new film cameras anymore!".:eek:

Really?? I know for one that Photo Optix (Or whatever they are calling themselves now) in Aylesbury sell them. Or is it a case of certain retailers just selling off old stock?

I'm sure I read something a while ago that a couple of retail chains had said they would no longer stock them. This it was around the time that places said they would no longer stock any CRT TV units.

I did think that Pentax re-introduced the K1000 a couple of years back but I could have dreamt all about it. It's quite possible that there are no new 35mm cameras.

There are still quite a few medium and large format film cameras being produced.

I bought a brand new Nikon film camera last year from WE. I'm sure people still stock them, but the question is, for how much longer?

I did think that Pentax re-introduced the K1000 a couple of years back but I could have dreamt all about it. It's quite possible that there are no new 35mm cameras.

re-badged?

SR%202000%20MD%20champagner.jpg

http://www.braun-phototechnik.de/E/Products/Cameras/sr2000/2000pk.htm

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~man~Braun~productID~7443~categoryid~225.html

In the Canon Product Range 2008 catalogue page 11

EOS-1v /-1vHS

These cameras sit at the top of Canon's analogue EOS range. Designed for heavy-duty use by professional photographers.

So we know Canon still make them.

Most places like warehouse express still seem to stock pro grade film slr's and the silly braun thing.

But is a student going to want a pro spec camera.

I am sure the student would be much better off with a decent second hand one if it's just for the course. I still have a Canon A1 and a Minolta Dynax 8000, both in good working order. ;)

My purchases in the last month..

Canon EOS5 with battery grip - £50 off ebay, mint condition

Bronica ETR-Si with lens, viewfinder and film back - £188 delivered with 12 month warranty, mint + condition, mxvphotgraphic

You can pick up general film SLR of the 90s such as a Canon EOS500n (3 point AF) with lens for under £30 on ebay - loads to choose from and for college projects where film has to be used it will cover most if not all of the course requirements.

You do get told some rubbish. I needed another CF card whilst out and about so popped into the local camera shop. "People don't use Compact Flash anymore" was the reply.:thinking:

You do get told some rubbish. I needed another CF card whilst out and about so popped into the local camera shop. "People don't use Compact Flash anymore" was the reply.:thinking:

That's the best one I've heard yet! Were they hoping to sell you a new camera on the back of that? What was your response?

I'm seem to remember that CT was selling a Mint Canon A1 with a kit of lenses for not a lot!

I bought a brand new Nikon film camera last year from WE. I'm sure people still stock them, but the question is, for how much longer?

As long as they're used. They're like record players, there are always going to be fanboys.

Leica still produce the M7 - if you've got a lot a dosh to spend :)

The Nikon F6 is still in production, but is over a grand new.

I think the days of consumer 35mm SLR's are well and truly over, but Medium Format still has some life in it.

i am looking at buying a cheap ME Super for my college course.. is that a bad idea??

Sounds like an excellent idea. I bought mine from Ffordes last year for £60 including a 50mm f1.7 lens!(y)

Nice, am just looking at a good one on Ebay. hopefully will get it for a reasonable price

:)

thanks for the re-assurance!

do ya think thats as good John Oh, its great that its a new camera, which will take all my lenses...

Wanted some primes for my Nikon DSLR and saw an advert in the paper.
A Lady selling her dads gear who had just died.
when I got there she had a 35mm,50mm, 105mm,135mm and a 70-210 zoom.

The camera was an old F2 photomic A.....

Well I bought em thinking if the camera don,t work,I,m not arsed.

ButI,ve started shooting film again with it.....:love:

And just bought a second hand Sigma 15-30 ex glass for it (y)

Back