You know that Sickening feeling...

God

Name
Vaughan
Edit My Images
Yes
... that you get when you hear a crashing/crunching sound and the weight youre carrying gets a lot lighter? :puke:

Yep, me, earlier wander along as you do, minding my own business and all of a sudden there is a sickening thud of metal on concrete. My 5Dii had decided to disconnect itself from the 70-200 and go for a wander! God knows how it happened, my phone in my pocket might have caught the release button and it worked its way of or something...

After a quick check over it seems fine operationally wise (in camera), but I have but a 2cm long crack in the grip and the battery door comes off instead of open now. Ah well, wont be shooting in the rain I guess! :bang:

Oops poor camera. Well at least it still works ok. If you have insurance then a repair job perhaps.

Had similar happen to me only I was lucky it was 100- 400 that came off my 7d luckily the camera strap was around my neck and I was quick enough to catch the lens before it hit the deck. Now I have a piece of nylon cord attaching them together so should they decide to part company again they wont go far.

Ah well, wont be shooting in the rain I guess! :bang:

Just stop the rain when your going out.. i would if I was you.

Just stop the rain when your going out.. i would if I was you.

Im a modest person, besides, I wouldnt want to ruin your rain shots... ;)

... that you get when you hear a crashing/crunching sound and the weight youre carrying gets a lot lighter? :puke:

Yep, me, earlier wander along as you do, minding my own business and all of a sudden there is a sickening thud of metal on concrete. My 5Dii had decided to disconnect itself from the 70-200 and go for a wander! God knows how it happened, my phone in my pocket might have caught the release button and it worked its way of or something...

After a quick check over it seems fine operationally wise (in camera), but I have but a 2cm long crack in the grip and the battery door comes off instead of open now. Ah well, wont be shooting in the rain I guess! :bang:

I am struggling to understand exactly how this happened and ended up with the camera itself being damaged :thinking: :shrug:

Were you holding it by the lens:thinking::shrug:

sounds like he was using a rapid strap with it connected to the lens instead of the camera, normally due to the weight.

I am looking at adding an extra strap to mine so it attaches to both :)

as suggested, just fill the crack with silicone and it should be fine for wet weather.

I forgot to zip up my Flipside a couple of weeks ago, and heard my 70-200 f2.8 thud onto the ground as I slung the bag over my shoulder. Heart in mouth moment, until I noticed it had - luckily - landed on the grass verge at the side of the road.

My "spare" camera is a 1000D that fell out of an unzipped rucksack pocket - badly damaged/scored corner to the body - takes pics OK, but if you engage the built in flash, it buzzes very loudly & starts to smoke!! :eek:

I forgot to zip up my Flipside a couple of weeks ago, and heard my 70-200 f2.8 thud onto the ground as I slung the bag over my shoulder. Heart in mouth moment, until I noticed it had - luckily - landed on the grass verge at the side of the road.

Makes note of the above if ever I am looking for one of those lenses ;)

That why i gave up flipside bags,so easy to do with theses bags :eek:

Ouch !! You go insurance ? if so I would be leaving it in for repairs and a full check over.

bookmarking this in case you happened to sell this in the classifieds section in the future :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ouch,what camera strap were you using :eek:

Black rapid attached to the lens tripod mount

:LOL: Whatever! lol

I am struggling to understand exactly how this happened and ended up with the camera itself being damaged :thinking: :shrug:

Were you holding it by the lens:thinking::shrug:

I had it on a black rapid, which was connected to the tripod mount on the lens to counter the weight... So much easier to carry, plus I dont trust the battery grip holding the weight of the camera and lens.

Sound to me as if he didn't,put the lens on fully :)

Well I had been carrying it for days like this, so I have a feeling thats incorrect (y)

Like mentioned, I think I am going to invest in a secondary fitting for the camera...

Ouch !! You go insurance ? if so I would be leaving it in for repairs and a full check over.

nah insurance doesnt cover acts of God :LOL:

That is a sickening feeling I know it well, when my camera went in the river I felt totally devastated but dried it out and it works fine.

That is a sickening feeling I know it well, when my camera went in the river I felt totally devastated but dried it out and it works fine.

Another one to look out for in the classifieds:D

Hi it was not the rapid strap that gave way,but somehow the lens came of the body,but your not sure how :)

Im not quite sure I understand what you are saying, sorry.

Easy answer:
Blame your son! :)

Bloody kids...

Sorry just wonder if it was anything to do with the strap,just started using them :)

No, the strap was attached to the lens tripod mount, and stayed attached just fine. It was the body that came away from the lens.

I've read this type of story a few times! 70-200 MkII and the 5DII failing!! Makes me worried about using the tripod mount on mine with the Black Rapid!!

I carry my camera by the lens, no strap.
Always have, always will.... Personal preference...

Once in a blue moon, when I try to take the next shot the camera thinks it is lens-less.
The release button has been depressed and started to unscrew; it goes click when re-seated.
As I say - it has only happened a handful of times in 10 years, and the camera and lens have never actually separated.
I think it may be winter grade outer wear catching the release, but I've never noticed till I've got the camera back up to my eye.

Reading this thread does make me sweat a little as it could happen...

It happened to me with a 30D and my 28-300L, again, attachment was to the tripod foot. I suspect that either the kit bumping on my bum had somehow nudged the lens release button on the body and the bayonet had then just twisted due to the movement of my walking or that I had inadvertently depressed the button whilst swinging the camera up to use (I tend to grasp the barrel of longer lenses to do this) and again subsequent walking motion caused the bayonet to undo. Fortunately in my case the body dropped onto relatively soft ground but did manage to scratch the top left of the case and dink the mode selector knob.

its easy enough to attach a bungee to the strap and the other end to the tripod mount on the camera - you just need a screw in eye with the right thread.

(i do this since ages ago when my pentax MZ30 detached itself from a sigma 400mm while i was carrying the tripod over my shoulder with the set up attached by the lens mount)

Last edited:
For sale: almost mint 5DII, only a couple light scratches on battery door :LOL:

Luckily it was the battery grip that received the scratched and damage! Camera still mint ;)

I've read this type of story a few times! 70-200 MkII and the 5DII failing!! Makes me worried about using the tripod mount on mine with the Black Rapid!!

no no, just the 5d detaching. The 70-200 stayed perfectly fine attached to the strap.

Is it alway when people are using the tripod mount ? :)

Id suspect the answer to be yes, but then you run the risk of the lens detaching though. I know which I would rather hit the floor...

just seems to be a canon thing, never had it happen once with my pentax or sony or nikon gear.

Perhaps it is just the uncanny positioning of the release button? I dont know where it is on the Nikons et al. So couldnt comment...

Is it alway when people are using the tripod mount ? :)

No - the last one I heard was the lens fell off when the girl was carrying the camera! A 70-200 MkII and 5D MkII

Back