You know what?

cause Bridezilla has decided that the shots the tog didn't get, I must have got...cause I had a DSLR.

I gave B&G 6x4 copies of the 12 that I liked, processed and got for myself - tbh most of the time I was happy snapping and I only expected to get 3 that I liked. I thought it would be sweet to give them copies. Apparently, they want more....they want all the photos that I took - as full res files, cause I must have got ones that the tog didn't...cause I had a DSLR...

send an invoice then:)

cause Bridezilla has decided that the shots the tog didn't get, I must have got...cause I had a DSLR.

I gave B&G 6x4 copies of the 12 that I liked, processed and got for myself - tbh most of the time I was happy snapping and I only expected to get 3 that I liked. I thought it would be sweet to give them copies. Apparently, they want more....they want all the photos that I took - as full res files, cause I must have got ones that the tog didn't...cause I had a DSLR...

Didn't the tog have a DSLR? :)

As tempting as that sounds....it's more trouble than it's worth!

I think you've got the right solution, next time don't take a camera at all and just enjoy yourself - it'll feel like having a day off. :)

To be fair, if you've given them 12 nice shots which demonstrate that you are a bit handy with a camera, it's not that unreasonable that they might ask if you took any others. The others might be rubbish, but it's fair to assume you will have taken more than 12 during the course of the wedding.

I wouldn't worry to much, take it as a compliment. By all means say you've taken out the odd expressions etc and the 12 are the final 12 that remain, but if you have any others that are reasonable, bang 'em on a disk and send it to them :)

If you were just snapping for your own pleasure as a guest at their wedding, send the photos IMO.

It's too easy to look at everything from the perspective of down a lens sometimes I think.

Last edited:
If you were just snapping for your own pleasure as a guest at their wedding, send the photos IMO.
That's what I did. One of the reasons that I started photography was because my memory is so poor. So, I took my DSLR, took a handful of shots and the ones that I processed were the ones that I wanted and I thought it would be sweet to send them copies of the prints too. However, I'm a bitch for not sending more and the files. *yawn*

Did they/she whatever actually say that? or just ask for the files?

Taken differently you might see this as a compliment?

Be careful here

The bridezilla is allready gunning for some poor photographer, armed with your images, the poor photographer is likley to be at the end of a possibly unreasonable tirade, that you dont want to be tangled up with

You probably dont know what the "photographer was asked to shoot" or how much time the photographer required (or asked for) to get the shots vs reality

This happened to me at a friend's wedding as well last year where they saw some of my photos and preferred it. In one particular shot I got a great shot of the bride's father as he gave a very emotional speech, which the actual tog didn't. They also asked for the entire set.

I gave them the entire set in digital form as they are close friends. I was never doing it for money anyway so I don't see what damage it would do to just give it to them. As photographers we also shoot for pleasure and if you see every shot as a possible money earner then your photography will eventually suffer as a result. Giving someone a photo can be a beautiful gift.

Consider it a wedding gift, knowing that your friends' most important day will be cherished even more because of your contribution.

This happened to me at a friend's wedding as well last year where they saw some of my photos and preferred it. In one particular shot I got a great shot of the bride's father as he gave a very emotional speech, which the actual tog didn't. They also asked for the entire set.

I gave them the entire set in digital form as they are close friends. I was never doing it for money anyway so I don't see what damage it would do to just give it to them. As photographers we also shoot for pleasure and if you see every shot as a possible money earner then your photography will eventually suffer as a result. Giving someone a photo can be a beautiful gift.

Consider it a wedding gift, knowing that your friends' most important day will be cherished even more because of your contribution.

its OK to say this, but the issue come for me, when it becomes an expecation that you'll give the set and not be grateful for recieving it

just say they can have the prints they had so far but if they want more you will have to charge as it costs you money and time to sort it all out.

That's a mighty big hole you've dug for yourself, Nattelie. Good luck.

Anyone who has a party or wedding these days EXPECTS digital files from their guests. To be fair, this seems to be common practice and most people are happy to share images with their friends.

Because photography is my job, I do not bring my camera when invited out socially. I don't see the electricians bringing their toolbox to a party, or the plasterer bringing his trowel, or the chefs being expected to cook the food!!

Chris.

its OK to say this, but the issue come for me, when it becomes an expecation that you'll give the set and not be grateful for recieving it

I am sure they will be grateful and as you are only providing it in digital format it is not going to cost him a thing to simply load them up and email it to them. As someone else said above, it is a reasonable expectation for friends to send each other digital copies of photos at events.

To ask your friends for money for it is simply greedy and giving it to them would be a nice gesture as you lose nothing by doing so.

Anyone who has a party or wedding these days EXPECTS digital files from their guests. To be fair, this seems to be common practice and most people are happy to share images with their friends.

Because photography is my job, I do not bring my camera when invited out socially. I don't see the electricians bringing their toolbox to a party, or the plasterer bringing his trowel, or the chefs being expected to cook the food!!

Chris.
absa fecing loutley

I am sure they will be grateful and as you are only providing it in digital format it is not going to cost him a thing to simply load them up and email it to them. As someone else said above, it is a reasonable expectation for friends to send each other digital copies of photos at events.

to give it yes - to ask for it no.

To ask your friends for money for it is simply greedy and giving it to them would be a nice gesture as you lose nothing by doing so.

I didn't think the OP was asking for money? (edit although it was suggest by another). I also thought giving the 12 prints was a pretty nice gesture. Why should the OP be pressured into handing over more

Last edited:
I gave the bride a dozen prints, as far as I know, she's over the moon with the "pro" photographers shots and so many guests have given her all their images. I only took my camera to get a handful of shots, I processed the ones I liked most and sent them a copy. All of which I was going to do before she asked for digital files. I did however, lose a copy of the digital files too (lost a USB card).

None of it is about money - I don't want her money!! It's about sheer cheek and her attitude about me and assuming that I'd effectively be a "free second tog" without saying a word til afterwards. I didn't shoot the wedding, I wouldn't have shot her wedding, she's happy with the photos that she's paid for...so why should I 1) hurt myself by sitting processing photos that I don't want (I have nerve damage in my hands for those that div not nar) and 2) be out of pocket for it too?

She's not getting anymore prints or the files. She had a gift and then afterwards I decided to send her copies of the shots I processed. Personally I would have been well chuffed, but she obviously isn't.

The average person doesn't regard a photo or series of photos as any type of asset and is quite indescriminate as the what they ask for, they expect to get the lot and they'll pick what they like. They do not appreciate the care that is taken, they probably don't realise any pp is done at all. To my frustration, my wife just pulls all the photos from my CF card and posts them on Facebook, garbage, test shots and all.

Don't judge her too harshly,she's just one of the great unwashed! (unless of course this was all accompnied by "attitude")

just reply, "sorry, I deleted all but the ones I was really happy with. I then gave these to you!"

It wouldn't be the asking that would get me riled, it would be the expectation and the attitude.... Just tell her you binned the others as she looked so last season in them all.... ;)

just reply, "sorry, I deleted all but the ones I was really happy with. I then gave these to you!"

I think this is the most sensible approach. You have a reputation to keep so just say you weren't happy enough with the other pics to let them into the public domain. That way you're not refusing to be awkward but you dont need to give out any more pictures.

Just be careful about it from another angle: what if she is then going to use those files as part of her wedding album from the pro, plus others from the official tog?

Personally I would say that you only kept those 12 and deleted the other ones as paying customers take up precious hard drive space. I say hard drive space because I suspect she wouldn't know about the effort and cost we go to back up the files and store nearly all the shots "offline"

Just be careful about it from another angle: what if she is then going to use those files as part of her wedding album from the pro, plus others from the official tog?

Personally I would say that you only kept those 12 and deleted the other ones as paying customers take up precious hard drive space. I say hard drive space because I suspect she wouldn't know about the effort and cost we go to back up the files and store nearly all the shots "offline"

That's what I did TBH.

Have to say that I understand where you're coming from.

My niece asked me to shoot her wedding as they couldn't afford a Pro. I get there to find out that "one of her friends is doing it", and now she's chasing me for the pictures I took.

I told her I lost the card...

Who needs enemies when friends & family behave like this ?

Charge her if she wants more....

Steve

Next time I go to a wedding as a guest, I'm not taking my camera..... :bang: :bang: :bang:

I completely understand! I'll give people as many as they want if I've got my point & shoot as there's no editing needed, but there's no way I'd edit the whole lot unless there were lots of 'pretty please', begging and babysitting offers (I got all 3 from my sister so am bridemaid, looking after my two kids and taking photos at her wedding - not much fun!)

Back