You tube video misleads again

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
You should watch the last 10 seconds first then the the main part

With just about everyone and his/her dog with a mobile we've now got trial by media...with a caveat. Not all the evidence is put before the jury..ie the public. People, generally, don't start filming until the situation gets heated so how/why it got to that point isn't captured.. I think the best way forward is for the police to put out a statement very quickly (which at present, they don't) and more importantly release the bodycam footage much sooner not after days of investigation. I read that officers are now using their personal mobiles to record incidents, either by sound only or with footage . ACPO need to develop a policy because it's vital that front line officers feel..know..they have the backing of senior officers. Added to that there's probably the unpleasant feeling that too many people are anti-police and not only is it undermining morale but it's palpably untrue.

I also think there's another issue. Tinted windows. When Dawn Butler was stopped, the officers, according to a police statement, were unable to see the occupants because of tinted windows. I appreciate that there's the issue of the wrong registration number being inputted but that nothwithstanding..

The law on this is that the windscreen must have 75% light transmission, the front driver/passenger windows at least 70% BUT..all windows behind the driver can have any level of tint. So.. the n'er do wells use a level of tint that hides rear seat occupants (and illicit items) so where do those who want to be hidden from police/cameras sit ? In the back. Police driving behind a suspect vehicle that has a heavily-tinted rear window therefore don't know how many occupants there are which can be crucial re a stop in relation to back-up.. As ever there has to be exceptions but apart from them no vehicle windows should have a tint level that makes it even remotely difficult to see and identify all the occupants and that includes by CCTV cameras and those mounted on traffic-related cameras.

Guessing you never carry anything in a car that is remotely attractive to thieves then.

As ever there has to be exceptions but apart from them no vehicle windows should have a tint level that makes it even remotely difficult to see and identify all the occupants and that includes by CCTV cameras and those mounted on traffic-related cameras.

It's called security glass for a reason...... Tinting on the fronts I agree with, but what about a van, that's got no windows at all in the rear?

If a car is single crewed they should always ask for assistance if they are concerned about a suspect vehicle, before they make the stop.

How things have changed ,I was only saying to the wife the other night ,back in the 60’s I used to go out wildfowling with a load of lads in my class at school I was 14 at the time , used to walk through the back streets of hackney to get the bus to the Hackney marshes , carrying in a gun bag over my shoulder a savage five shot pump 12 bore with multi choke ,a belt full of cartridges and a ten-shilling gun licence In my pocket in case I got stopped by the police ( only happened once) but it was all totally legal then . What went wrong in the intervening years ..
Sold it all a couple of years later when I found out the gun in my underpants was more fun LOL

It's called security glass for a reason...... Tinting on the fronts I agree with, but what about a van, that's got no windows at all in the rear?

Sorry.. but I don’t see the point you’re making re a van without rear windows. My point was about cars which do have a rear window. Same with your point re ‘security glass.‘ How does that relate to my point regarding a tint ?

If a car is single crewed they should always ask for assistance if they are concerned about a suspect vehicle, before they make the stop.

Yes, I appreciate that but my point was that ..to use your example..a single-crewed officer should be able to give information regarding the number of occupants. Anticipating your possible next scenario..the rear seat occupant(s) could get below the rear screen level but my point is that the starting position should be that the occupants can be seen.

An edit after posting. Re tinting..maybe you were referring to a tint stopping items in the rear being seen. It’s not unreasonable to suggest that,that in itself would attract a would-be thief..ie..what’s being hidden..let’s take a look...broken window.

Last edited:
Guessing you never carry anything in a car that is remotely attractive to thieves then.

Everything ,including shopping, goes in the boot if I’m going to leave the car. I wouldn’t leave a jacket or coat in there in case a thief thinks there might be a wallet or mobile in it. That avoids a broken window.

I often have stuff both in the boot and on the back seat.

I have a saying in life that I’m sure has saved me inconvenience at the least...”What can happen ,will happen”.

Leaving valuable or even useful..items in view in your car is something the police strongly discourage. Maybe you’ve seen posters in various locations that have come from the crime prevention dept regarding leaving items in view or simply..’Beware,thieves operate in this area’ You see them in picnic areas,where people park up to go for a walk in a forest maybe.

Last edited:
An edit after posting. Re tinting..maybe you were referring to a tint stopping items in the rear being seen. It’s not unreasonable to suggest that,that in itself would attract a would-be thief..ie..what’s being hidden..let’s take a look...broken window.

If a thief thinks somethings in there, he'll do the window, open the back door, and drop the back seat to check the boot. I know, it was done on my car, twice, on my drive. And both times it was empty.

If a thief thinks somethings in there, he'll do the window, open the back door, and drop the back seat to check the boot. I know, it was done on my car, twice, on my drive. And both times it was empty.

Sorry to hear that. Fortunately, I’ve never suffered anything like that. There is one scenario that comes to mind ..which I’m aware of when you say ‘if a thief thinks there’s something in there’ Tradesmen leave valuable tools in their vehicles overnight. Sometimes the vehicle has the trade written on the van..it’s usually a van..or there’s no signage but the thieves know there are valuable tools inside. Whenever we have tradesmen here at home I tell them not to leave the van doors open, not to leave drills etc on the driveway.

Thing is,Steve..you can quote all sorts of counter points but the bottom line is that all precautions should be taken and if the worst happens..as in your case.. then at least you can say ,not least to the insurance company..I did my best.

This is why, for my last 4 cars, I have had in built SatNav, rather than a 3rd party unit. Had one stolen back in 2006, I know who did it and got it back, but when I bought my next car, I decided that an in built system was safer.

I now no longer live in London, and have left my car unlocked for a whole weekend on the drive without issue (not intentionally I may add...). If they want to get in, they will. A friend of mine had his car taken, the pulled up along side it and lifted it onto a flatbed. When the neighbours challenged the guys in the truck they just replied "He hasn't kept up with the payments, so we are repossessing it"!!!

Thank Goodness I live in Cornwall!!

Is all I can say.

Not totally Crimeless but .....

Everything ,including shopping, goes in the boot if I’m going to leave the car. I wouldn’t leave a jacket or coat in there in case a thief thinks there might be a wallet or mobile in it. That avoids a broken window.
My point was more that you made a statement that everyone (and therefore everything also) should be able to be recognised even by cctv without seeming to consider that tinted windows are used for anything other than criminal activity.

My work requires me to transport some very expensive kit on occasions. Some of this requires the rear seats to be down, I have an estate car, so no, not everything can go in the boot.
Obviously I avoid putting the seats down or putting things on tge seats whenever possible.

Ps, it's called 'Sun protection glass' in my car, and it does work as that. Very useful if you have children.

Thank Goodness I live in Cornwall!!

Is all I can say.

Not totally Crimeless but .....

I was just thinking that myself re where we live. Car crime is pretty low..the highest is ant-social behaviour..but not in our road I hasten to,add. The worst that happens here us a crow and a magpie have a set to.. :D

This is why, for my last 4 cars, I have had in built SatNav, rather than a 3rd party unit. Had one stolen back in 2006, I know who did it and got it back, but when I bought my next car, I decided that an in built system was safer.

I now no longer live in London, and have left my car unlocked for a whole weekend on the drive without issue (not intentionally I may add...). If they want to get in, they will. A friend of mine had his car taken, the pulled up along side it and lifted it onto a flatbed. When the neighbours challenged the guys in the truck they just replied "He hasn't kept up with the payments, so we are repossessing it"!!!

Sensible move. I assume no longer Uxbridge,then. After reading your experience I wondered what the crime rate was . Uxbridge/Hillingdon ...:eek:

I’ll make that a very sensible/wise move. Considering some of the ‘clever’ tactics many criminals use ..eg your friend’s experience..it’s a pity they don’t put it to more constructive/lawful use. Many aren’t intelligent...in the accepted form.. but have a Masters/ PhD in guile and cunning.

My point was more that you made a statement that everyone (and therefore everything also) should be able to be recognised even by cctv without seeming to consider that tinted windows are used for anything other than criminal activity.

My work requires me to transport some very expensive kit on occasions. Some of this requires the rear seats to be down, I have an estate car, so no, not everything can go in the boot.
Obviously I avoid putting the seats down or putting things on tge seats whenever possible.

Ps, it's called 'Sun protection glass' in my car, and it does work as that. Very useful if you have children.

As ever..remote conversation is difficult. Hopefully I can clarify. The context was the officers stopping the car that Dawn Butler was in were,according to the police statement, unable to see who was in the car because of the tint..a heavy one I assume. I did say,originally, ’with exceptions‘ and one scenario comes to mind, transporting medical equipment/drugs so I did consider such measures as being appropriate for..ie not always for unlawful activity

I only referred to occupants ..you’ve added ‘Therefore everything‘..ie ’contents’

Battery about to die on iPsd..:)

Put it in the boot....
Different people lead different lives and so have different needs.
My 4x4 has tinted windows at the rear, simply because I often need to carry goods that may be attractive to thieves, it isn't always possible to unload them as soon as I arrive at my destination. And, because my sport / hobby is clay pigeon shooting, my load often includes a gun. Now, my shotgun in its slip can fit into the "boot" area if it's otherwise empty, but sometimes has to go behind the front seats and I don't want that to be on show when I'm stopped in traffic.
One of my sons is a farmer / agricultural mechanic, the whole carrying space in his Landy is a giant, bolted-in toolbox and carries many thousands worth of tools, again he doesn't want that toolbox to be visible to thieves.

I sympathise with the police viewpoint on this, it isn't their fault (as individuals) if they're single crewed, but it isn' mine either. If they want to stop me and are worried that I may have a car full of thugs then they'll have to get support to do it safely. Alternatively, they can lobby their employers to take all reasonably practicable steps to improve their safety at work, which surely must include being double crewed. The risks to the police would still exist with vans, even if tinted rear windows were unlawful in this country.

And, speaking of tinted windows, I've seen the big black limos owned by government agencies in China, only part of the actual windscreen, and a tiny area of the front windows (clear so that the driver can see the wing mirrors) are clear, everything else is totally blacked out.

Last edited:
It's always best to get the whole picture rather than jumping in and making assumptions.

Other than that one thing that irks me, and I'm not talking about any case in particular or making a race issue, is when someone is killed and they're portrayed as a martyr and general all round diamond geezer and top family man when in reality they were utter scum with a record as long as your arm possibly including multiple crimes against vulnerable people, sex crimes and violence against their own partners and children and general repeated thuggishness which should or maybe did resulted in them doing hard time at some point.

I suppose it's too much to ask for the interviewer to interrupt the gushing praise with "But wasn't he a repeated violent offender with a record as long as your arm?"

Is this a real word problem? I used to regularly carry stuff which was worth many times what the car cost but it was always boxed or otherwise covered up in some way. It's not rocket science. On occasions I used a van too.

I was just thinking that myself re where we live.

And now we have the rest of the Country down here on "Holiday" FFS, with quotes of why should I wear a mask I came down here to get away from all that.
as if we were exempt from the Virus Rules.
We, Locals, feel more Lockdowned now than when we were.. Afraid to go out in case we meet a Carrier of it, as iI said for FfS.

Is this a real word problem? I used to regularly carry stuff which was worth many times what the car cost but it was always boxed or otherwise covered up in some way. It's not rocket science. On occasions I used a van too.
If it says Cisco or Sun-Oracle on the box it's generally expensive.
Plus, on occasions I need to transport kit that isn't boxed, servers.

And now we have the rest of the Country down here on "Holiday" FFS, with quotes of why should I wear a mask I came down here to get away from all that.
as if we were exempt from the Virus Rules.
We, Locals, feel more Lockdowned now than when we were.. Afraid to go out in case we meet a Carrier of it, as iI said for FfS.

The Cornish economy does rely on the holiday trade.

We have the same in north wales , holiday resorts look more like Benidorm at the moment

If it says Cisco or Sun-Oracle on the box it's generally expensive.
Plus, on occasions I need to transport kit that isn't boxed, servers.

Then cover the kit up.

Sorry but am I talking to an adult here?

I used to routinely carry computer kit worth many times the price of the car and never once came up with excuses like you. You cover the stuff up and / or make it look mundane and uninteresting and when you need to leave the vehicle you leave it alarmed and if at all possible in an area that offers some security.

It ain't rocket science, or maybe it is to you.

Then cover the kit up.

I used to routinely carry computer kit worth many times the price of the car and never once came up with excuses like you. You cover the stuff up and / or make it look mundane and uninteresting and when you need to leave the vehicle you leave it alarmed and if at all possible in an area that offers some security.

In my experience there's a sub-culture of the human race that are known as thieves.
These people will happily smash their way into someone else's car if they can see something inside it that may be worth having, and covering the contents up won't help much because they can still see that there's something there to steal. I've also had them smash a window just so that they can rummage around in an empty glove box. Alarms don't deter them because they're gone before anyone notices, and secure areas aren't secure, again because they're in and out in a flash, and it doesn't help to look at a CCTV afterwards.

And of course, they are very rarely caught and even more rarely punished effectively, so having tinted windows in the back can be a real help.

Then cover the kit up.

Whoa, quit with the insults please.

Just to keep you informed, yes I am an adult, not many children are allowed to drive cars.

I do not need to cover the kit up, my car has sun protection glass, you cannot really see much detail through it from the outside.

No excuses are being made for anything as far as I can see. I, nor anyone else, requires an excuse to have a car with tinted glass in the legally allowed areas.

I was merely pointing out that there are many advantages (or excuses if you prefer) to tinted glass other than those of a criminal persuasion (as per th OP).
Didn't think that was rocket science either to be fair but you take it how you see fit.

Back