Beginner You would think

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
So, brand new D3400 arrives, and there is no memory card included.

You would think they would make you aware of that. Not a good start.

Last edited:
Photography is an expensive hobby. Now get spending more on cards, tripods, lenses, bags, books, mags and extra batteries.

Sorry about your disappointment, it’s standard practice.

There was probably a suggestion to add one when you ordered it.

If there was one I must have missed it.

Thanks for reply. Anything I need to be aware of re which to buy ?

Fankooo.

SanDisk extreme is the usual advice, I’d say as big asthe camera will take, buy a card reader whilst you’re at it,

Don't think any camera comes with an SD card unless its a bundle deal. Not even point and shoot cameras come with them.

Similarly, if you buy an expensive bike, they don't come with pedals.

If there was one I must have missed it.

Thanks for reply. Anything I need to be aware of re which to buy ?

Fankooo.

Don't buy one from FEEBAY is the only advice I would give!

I can see where the OP is coming from on this, when I buy a new car it comes with 4 x wheels and a full tank of gas;)

+1 for the SanDisk Extreme Pro, although I keep to 32GB and back up every night to mitigate the risk of card failure on longer gigs.....

GC

Always found cards on Amazon to be legit. Bought over 40 of them and had no issues whatsoever. As with most things in life you pays your money and takes your choice.

GC

It would be useful to be aware before you open the package.

Or, include one.

If the camera manufacturers included cards with their cameras people like you would be on here moaning when they upgraded to a new camera that it cost more than it needed to because it included a card you already owned and didn't need!

Bit like me last week - I bought a new DVD player and it didn't come with any films to watch :(

Even worse though, 17 years ago we bought a brand new house and it had no furniture !!! Shocking

Joking aside - the only cameras I've ever known come ready to take a photo are film ones that are preloaded and disposable; which I sometimes still see at Weddings :)

Oh, and don't forget that chances are your computer isn't powerful enough, doesn't have any really useful editing software and your screen will be crap - all of which need upgrading too

Welcome to your new expensive hobby :D

Dave

Don't think any camera comes with an SD card unless its a bundle deal. Not even point and shoot cameras come with them.

Film cameras don't come with films either.
However, it begs the question - why don't digital cameras have internal memories that can be supplemented with cards. The space required would be tiny.

Actually they do - I think legally they need to be supplied with pedals that have reflectors fitted - but they're the cheapest of the cheap and never get used. I can't imagine how many pairs of those pedals get chucked away every year...

However, it begs the question - why don't digital cameras have internal memories that can be supplemented with cards. The space required would be tiny.

Years back, some did. Not that I can remember the models, but more than one I owned had enough space for a few photos, but just a few.
Going back even further - on some - they didn't even have the ability to take a card! They came with what they came with and nothing else.

Actually they d
Actually they don't. Pedals, like memory cards, are a personal choice.
I've just bought a new bike. No pedals. And the reflector thing is of the past now that double sided clipless pedals are too small for reflectors. Just as bikes no longer need a bell.

Lots of rules about bikes have changed to get away from petty regulations. Most folk haven't caught up yet.

Actually they do - I think legally they need to be supplied with pedals that have reflectors fitted - but they're the cheapest of the cheap and never get used. I can't imagine how many pairs of those pedals get chucked away every year...
That may be the legal take but none of my 3 came with pedals, and this was clearly stated.

Lots of rules about bikes have changed to get away from petty regulations. Most folk haven't caught up yet.

I'm clearly one of those that haven't caught up. In my defense, I haven't bought a new bike for about four years, but I have a box full of pedals, reflectors and bells in the garage.

But isn’t there anything better than going out, walking 30 minutes to your chosen position for a planned shot, pushing the button and finding your sd card is still in the computer at home???? :rolleyes:

We have 3 bikes all fairly expensive and none of them came with pedals.

+ the first thing I do with any bike or wheel set is remove and reflectors. That’s what lights are for.

Last edited:
That's nothing, my bike didn't come with a memory card! ;)

Joking aside, as people have said above, most cameras don't come with a memory card, just as years ago most 35mm SLR cameras didn't come with a roll of film. That was something I'd haggle over with the shop to close the deal when buying a camera, get them down to the lowest price I could, then tell them they'd got a deal if they threw a roll of Kodak in. These days good, fast, memory cards are a bit dearer than a roll of film used to be, but it's always worth haggling, and I think even £5 or £10 off a card to seal the deal is better in my pocket than theirs! :)

We have 3 bikes all fairly expensive and none of them came with pedals.

+ the first thing I do with any bike or wheel set is remove and reflectors. That’s what lights are for.

I'm aware of the first thing people do, hence my comment about how many must get chucked out. If it's not now, it used to be law that bicycles needed to be supplied with pedals that had reflectors, as I said. I think that's probably enough on the pedals, now, no need to edit your post and add more context, anecdotes or facts ;)

So, I was outraged when I realised my body and lens combo (and card and battery) came with no talent whatsoever.

Massive memory cards are cheap to buy and can be used to store thousands of images over and over again. Superb value for money in my opinion.

It was bought from a rubbish shop. When I bought my 80D last year they gave me the memory card at no cost to me (is included in the price they charged). Even if the shop didn't want to do that, the salesman missed a sale by not reminding you there was no card included and would you like one?

Craig, could you define “people like me”

Thankyou for your helpful response.

I don't know you and I'm sure you're actually a good bloke.

But how it comes across moaning that the camera did not include a card is that it's everybody else's fault but your own. Personally, if I was not experienced at buying things like this and it happened to me, I'd shrug, blame myself for not researching/asking and move on.

The fact it was not pointed out to you and you don't mention a salesman/company also suggests you get it cheap, so you probably can afford to order one separately.

Thanks for your helpful thread.

I seem to remember that my first digital camera (Minolta Dimage 7i) came with a card in the box. It was small, even by the standards of those days, and I upgraded to a huge 128 MB card which was all I could afford after buying the camera...

Sure my first digital camera came with a memory card, think it took about twenty photos so had to buy one another anyway, memory was crazy expensive back then.
Same as those inkjets that come with enough ink for a few prints or printers that didn't come with a usb cable, now that was annoying.

Anyone remember the cameras that used 1.44 MB floppy disks? I never used them, but did some consulting work for a company that had one.

The problem with including a memory card with the camera is what size do they include or what speed and which manufacturer? The performance of a memory card differs from one camera to another. Some cameras restrict the maximum write speed a memory card can achieve. Card capacity is another big issue as it’s very much personal perferance, what size do they include- 8GB, 16Gb, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB? If it’s too small or too slow it’s very likely just to be replaced soon after getting the camera and would just add expense to the camera price. Like others have sad if you already had a camera and this was an upgrade, say from a D3000 or D3100 would you want a memory card included if you already had them?

If you haven’t ordered ne yet, this maybe a useful guide.

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/nikon-d3400-memory-cards-recommended/

Back