Your best film photo of 2019

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
I seem to remember this question has been asked in previous years so what is your favourite / best photo or photos of the year?

I will have to consider this question. I only shot film, more or less, last year. I'd like to post something which I didn't post before.

It's really difficult to decide to be honest. I have several that fit the bill, but I'm not sure I can pull an absolute favourite. That said, I'll choose this one as a suitable contender. It could be because it was taken relatively recently and so still stands out, but I do really like it.

Holga 120N
Kodak Tmax 400

FILM - The path untaken
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Not sure about "best", but I feel I harnessed the spirit of @pentaxpete by shooting 2005 Konica 750 IR film through an R72 filter at iso3 in a Yashicamat 124G, then developing it semi-stand in 1:100 teenage Rodinal the colour of very strong tea. It was for the "Weather & its effects" theme in FPOTY and composed to show traditional hydro renewable power with modern windpower alongside, both designed to take advantage of the "wet and windy west Highlands". o_O The irony being that the water level in the reservoir was almost certainly too low for power generation due to the prolonged dry spell. ;) :exit:

Loch Glascarnoch Dam by Northsnapper, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as everyone else, what does "best" even mean? There are several that I could pick out because they mean something to me but might not be photographically the "best". So I'm gonna wimp out and post 3 (and not a tin can amongst them :) )

Except having spent an age on this the forum tells me the post is too large - I might get motivated again tomorrow, sorry

Except having spent an age on this the forum tells me the post is too large - I might get motivated again tomorrow, sorry
Chris, can you not just upload them directly to Flickr and link them from there without further work? :thinking:

the post is too large
I had this in my attempt to post three. So I just left the first one.

Give us one Chris :) Any one will do...

Chris, can you not just upload them directly to Flickr and link them from there without further work? :thinking:
They probably are already on flickr, I was just being lazy, all that link copying and what have you, tires a chap out :D

Any one will do...
:LOL:, I know what you mean, OK here's the one that I had printed large-ish so it must be a pick, right :thinking:

Macro4.jpg

Edit to add: MPP Microtechical, 4x5 ilford HP5

Last edited:
And now I should be getting ready to go out but instead I'm hunting through flickr and it takes me ages to do my hair :)
From the disposable challenge
Fleetwood by Chris H, on Flickr

Bronica SQ-A, Portra 160
CanalLeaves by Chris H, on Flickr

Super image Tom.

Ok sorry and not just one and they wont win any prizes but I like these ones (of a few) I took because of the colours...checking out a Spotmatic with 35mm Flek lens and Vista.
Might go back this year and use a 28 or 24mm lens and different film.

CbTKG7u.jpg

FKk09lj.jpg

I'll have to go back to the very first day of 2019 and this shot of Wastwater taken on New Years Day. Its just about the only decent large format shot I've taken this year.

NewYears Day Wastwater small by Andy, on Flickr

Wista 45, Schneider Kreuznach f5.6 90mm on Fuji Pro 160NS.

That is lovely, Andy!

I've been struggling with this, particularly when someone said they wanted to show a favourite that hadn't been shown before. Well, I've been through my catalogue for the year several times, and I think I've used all my favourites, so I had to abandon that criterion.

Eventually, after much thought, I reckon my favourite was the submission for the triptych round. This is mainly because I had a general idea of what I wanted, but was having trouble finding it. Then when we turned down towards Putsborough Beach that day and I saw the light, I immediately saw the image I wanted in my mind, dashed down, and took half a dozen shots. It turned out to be harder to create the image than I'd expected, but I was very happy with it when I'd done. Never tried anything like this before. So, my thanks, to whoever came up with the triptych idea:

000066300013 beach Affinity by Chris R, on Flickr

Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70, Portra 400

EDIT: Oh dear, looking at it agin on here, it's so hard to get the colours to balance across the 3 images, and I didn't really succeed. It's on my wall, and seems to work better there. Slightly less of a favourite now :(

Last edited:
Back