Your most used Landscape lens

Any focal length (or range) you used the most on this lens?

pretty much everything... I couldn't live with any primes unless shooting only portraits.

Super W Komura 75mm f6.3 although I now have a beautiful 65mm f4.5 that I will be using once I get it fitted to the camera the way I want it too

Mine always used to be the 16-35 F4 from Canon but ive found myself using the RF 24-105 F4 far more nowdays and the 100-400 quite a bit too, long lens landscapes really do have a unique charm

For me (Full frame) 99% of the time it's the 24-105mm f/4L, 0.9% 17-40mm f/4L - remainder 70/80-200mm f/2.8L (yep, I still have the magic drainpipe in FWO)

Despite my short experience with landscapes, i seem to get my best shots (albeit mostly mediocre I should add) with the Sony 24-105 and lately with the Samyang 85 1.4. There’s something very calming in taking detail shots with a “portrait “ lens, specially in the woods.

Fujinon 16-55 f2.8 almost 100% of the time on my X-T3. Going to rent the 8-16mm f2.8 for some landscape and astro stuff in July, so be interesting to see how going even wider will be

Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 but it gives vignetting at 11mm when I have the filter holder fitted, even with the WA adaptor ring. So I resort back to my old faithful Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.

The Nikon AF-P 18-55 vr kit lens, cost's about £60, weighs next to nothing and suits my D7200 (and my style of photography) perfectly. It's sharp enough for my needs/wants, Thom Hogan says nice things about it.

BHS4- by Tim Riesner, on Flickr
Hi Tim, I love this shot! It's a beaut! .....You and I are followers on Flickr so it's nice to find you on here (I only joined today). I'm not so active on Flickr as I used to be, I do more on 500px these days (more feedback). I shall have to visit your Flickr page again as I like your style :)

Golly. Probably a 35 or 50mm prime. I expect it'll be close but as I seem to be preferring 35mm at the moment the 35mm count will eventually rack up a lead.

Hi, my favourite landscape combination (SONY A7R2 - ZEISS Loxia 2,8/21 (which also works for seascapes, and cityscapes ( :LOL: ))) :

DSC02910-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC02935-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tim, I love this shot! It's a beaut! .....You and I are followers on Flickr so it's nice to find you on here (I only joined today). I'm not so active on Flickr as I used to be, I do more on 500px these days (more feedback). I shall have to visit your Flickr page again as I like your style :)

Hi Jean, I have responded to you on Flickr and now on here, :) welcome to TalkPhotography, it's a really great forum. After your suggestion I'm now having a look at 500px.

Hi Jean, I have responded to you on Flickr and now on here, :) welcome to TalkPhotography, it's a really great forum. After your suggestion I'm now having a look at 500px.

Thanks for the welcome Tim. I just read your responses on Flickr, and thank you for that. I've only been on this forum for a day and a half, but really enjoy the vibe here. Still finding my way around it and getting a bit lost at times! But so much of interest!
Do have a look at 500px - it's easy enough to join. You don't have to be paid up member, though there are more privileges if you do - such as being able to upload more pics. I have a free membership and never felt the need to upload more than I do. ....If you do decide to join, I can be your first follower (that's if you let me know you've joined). ...It works in a different way to Flickr, but you soon get the hang of it, and it won't be long before you start getting more likes and feedback than you do on Flickr. Good luck (y)

I guarantee I posted in here already saying 40/1.2. That hasn't really changed but I did buy myself a Contax CZ 80-200/4 T* & I am surprised by how much I quite like to focal range in all honesty. It's not going to knock the 40mm off the top spot but still, it's nice to use :)

For me, it's easily the humble 10-18mm EFS.

I used to own that lens on the 450D, but had to sell it because I upgraded to full frame. Also had to stop using my Hitech Formatt ND10 filter. I was sad to see the lens go :(

Now I own the 24-70mm lens. I will own another wide angle one of these days, but won't be any time soon until I get the funds.

Last edited:
anyone used a

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM, Nikon Fit

interested in your evaluation......thanks

I have a Tokina RMC SL 17mm 3.5 reported to be very good

My Fuji 10-24, by far. Rarely use it at 10mm these days, normally stick to 14-24. It often gets used @ 2mmm in portrait orientation for multi-shot pano's too, although I have used my 35 f1.4 for this method too.

@Yardbent

Yes, back in the days when I had a D90 (2008-12) I used this combination extensively. Filters were easily added and it was pretty sharp It was pretty good for a DX solution on a budget... No idea if there's better around nowadays at the price point.
anyone used a

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM, Nikon Fit

interested in your evaluation......thanks

I have a Tokina RMC SL 17mm 3.5 reported to be very good

Yes, back in the days when I had a D90 (2008-12) I used this combination extensively. Filters were easily added and it was pretty sharp It was pretty good for a DX solution on a budget...............

well I took the plunge - should be hear here Friday.......... (y)

Last edited:
When my wife takes the Canon EOS 60D, she reaches for the 10-22efs.
Loves it.

Shooting wide you've got more chance of uneven skies than equal vignetting.............

OK --you just saved me £60+............. (y)

I'm a complete noob with PS Elements v7. Can I select just the sky and create a PL effect

when i try to used the Magic Lasso it goes wild all over the tree line and grabs some tree tops too.....:thinking:

I'll post this in Post Processing and Image Editing too

Last edited:
OK --you just saved me £60+............. (y)

I'm a complete noob with PS Elements v7. Can I select just the sky and create a PL effect

when i try to used the Magic Lasso it goes wild all over the tree line and grabs some tree tops too.....:thinking:

I'll post this in Post Processing and Image Editing too

You can't really replicate the effect in editing, no. You can darken the blue sky obviously, but you can't make the clouds.... ..Pop? Be as well defined?

You can't really replicate the effect in editing, no. You can darken the blue sky obviously, but you can't make the clouds.... ..Pop? Be as well defined?....

thanks .. I already found how to do this

I'll take a few identical scenery shots with the Sigma 10-20 and compare to the Tokina 17mm (which does have a 67mm PL filter.)

77mm PL for Christmas..?

Better than a drawer of socks ;)............

HAHA....impatient.? me.?
Christmas comes early..........new HOYA Pro-1 Digital 77mm at £42.99 less £10 to request an Amazon Credit Card = £32.99...... :banana:

just waiting for the Sigma 10-20..........:tumbleweed:

a6300 and Rokinon 12mm f/2 for me. Manual autofocus and aperture, so forces me to slow down and think about things a bit more. Truth be told it was budget-driven rather than anything else when I bought it, but it does ok - its just my technique/composition that sucks!

At its most extreme you should yeah. And I don't shoot that wide...............

well the Sigma 10-20 arrived and the HOYA Pro-1 PL-C.......it is very thin

I loving the lens on my D300.. The corners are quite clear.!
at 10mm (the RH fence does actually drop away like that)
tn__DSC5967.JPG

My most used landscape lens, Canon 24-105L has had the dreaded Err01 ribbon cable death. I've just sent it off for repair as I use it so much, I can't do without it. I checked my LR catalogue for this year it's been used for about 80% of my images.
Hopefully I'll get it back next week. But until then I'll have to shoot with something else.

probably my tamron 17-35 since getting it last year although i have definitely been playing a lot more with the sigma 70-200 sport in the last few months since i bought one. How much of the latter is just new lens syndrome though i don't know yet, its opened up some more possibilities for me though that is for certain

Sigma 24-35mm on my D500 (I still aim to acquire a FF Nikon some time to take more advantage of the FF lenses I've bought); it'll be the Zuiko 17mm.1.2 on the Oly EM1-ii when the lens arrives, I'm sure, although the 12-100 will be the default lens most og=f the time

fuji 32-64mm. the 100-200mm is my second most used landscape lens with the 23mm prime coming in as a very useful last.

Nikon 16-85mm and occasionally the Tokina 11-16mm if my back isn't feeling too stiff to get down low

Back